*MAYBE* WTB K98 Mauser (if the price is right)

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

*MAYBE* WTB K98 Mauser (if the price is right)

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Does anybody have a decent condition K98 Mauser they’d be willing to part with for not too much money? Allow me to explain....

In May of 2016, I bought a box of 350 rounds of 7.92x57mm “8mm” Mauser ammo from a young friend who was headed overseas to Papua New Guinea as a missionary. He was selling off a bunch of stuff and putting the money toward he and his wife’s move to PNG. He had already sold off the rifle, and I took the ammo off his hands to help him out, even though I don’t own a rifle in that caliber. (In fact, I tried unsuccessfully to sell that ammo here on this site back then.)

They were not in the PNG for too long because she was found to be pregnant right around then, and she developed complications which necessitated their return to the US for medical reasons. Sadly, they lost their little 2 year old boy back in November. I posted a prayer request about it here: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 43&t=94210. Anyway, my wife and I are among the many people ministering to them in their grief. I still have that box of 350 rounds of Mauser ammo, and I thought it would be nice to see if I can’t find an affordable Mauser, and gift it to him along with that ammo I’ve been holding onto.

I have no idea if this is something I can afford to do, but I’d very much like to find out. I’ve looked at K98s (and maybe M48s?) on gunbroker.com, to see what prices are like, but that hasn’t been too helpful. Real collector quality rifles seem to be selling for thousands of $$, but I also see a lot of what I guess you’d call “rack grade” rifles with bids in the mid $400-$600 range. I could afford to buy something in that range. Whatever I can get doesn’t have to be immaculate. As long as it has a decent bore that shoots fairly straight, properly working bolt and sights, and a usable stock, that would be enough.

So if any of you have one you’d be willing to part with in that price range, or know of where I can get one at that price, I’d be grateful. I’m taking my friend to the range on Friday, and it would be REALLY cool if I could surprise him with it then - although I realize that is pretty short notice. But even if I can’t give it to him on Friday, I’d still want to go forward with this if I can afford to.

So let me know what you’ve got!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: *MAYBE* WTB K98 Mauser (if the price is right)

Post by C-dub »

I know a guy that has one. He has no sons and has told me his daughter doesn't want it, but he still won't even sell it to me. :???:

He says he hasn't shot it in years. I don't get it. :totap: :grumble
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I will put my feelers out. Good luck

stroo

Post by stroo »

You might try Military Gun Supply in the mid cities area/east Fort Worth. They use to carry reasonably priced Mausers, but I haven't been in there in a few years so who knows.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Found these for you on Texas gun trader.

http://dallas.texasguntrader.com/index. ... tance%5D=0

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

message sent

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

bfm1851 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:34 ammessage sent
Message is “on hold” so I can’t read it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 am
bfm1851 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:34 ammessage sent
Message is “on hold” so I can’t read it.

TAM you may try deleting some of your inbox messages and then it should release your new messages.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Carl, thanks. I didn’t think of that because the “error” message I saw was different from how it was before the last site upgrade. I cleared old messages, and got bfm1851’s PM to me. PM replied to.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Closed Items”