What's involved in getting a FFL?

FFL's post your location, contact information and transfer fees

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LedJedi
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LedJedi »

A few quick questions if you dont mind. feel free to point me to a thread if this has already been answered.

So i have to run a "business" with it? If so can it be done out of my home?

What's the difference between FFL and being a "dealer?

Pros/Cons of getting a FFL?

I'm honestly just curious. I dont know anything about it.

HerbM
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What's involved in getting a FFL?

Post by HerbM »

This Google search will get you about obtaining an FFL:

ffl | "federal firearms license" ~obtaining ~ becoming

But a lot of those links are also selling "kits", instructions, forums, assistance, etc.

The standard application fees for Non-Destructive devices start from $30 and reach $200 (depends if you want a collector, dealer, importer, pawnbroker or manufacturer license).

"Dealer" is a type of FFL ($200 license 3-year, $90 3-year renewal), generally the one that most gun shops would have (at least). The other names above are pretty much what they sound like.

Main thing to look for is they tightened up on people who weren't really in business (storefront helps but I don't think it is mandatory) who were just using it to buy wholesale....

This specific link is better than some of the others: http://www.squidoo.com/Federal_Firearms_License (but they are selling a kit too)

If you change the Google search to EXCLUDE some terms (with a minus sign) things might get more interesting:

ffl | "federal firearms license" ~obtaining ~ becoming dealer -kit -markella

Keep adding your own -terms until you get rid of the junk you don't won't (e.g., -fflkit gets rid of a lot of junk when added to the above search, down to only 2800 google hits)

You can also focus the search on Google Groups to get Usenet Groups (sort of like a cross between this Forum and Email News Letters if you haven't used them). Google Groups are in the MORE pull down menu at the top of a regular google search (and it will search the same thing you previously searched the web.)
HerbM

CJATE

Post by CJATE »

very long story short, I got a packet on my desk. Just call the Local ATF,

it must be remitted with written proof that you can run a business out of your house if your going to try. (i.e. zoning) so I have not yet completed as I am about to purchase a commercial building.

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

CJATE wrote:very long story short, I got a packet on my desk. Just call the Local ATF,

it must be remitted with written proof that you can run a business out of your house if your going to try. (i.e. zoning) so I have not yet completed as I am about to purchase a commercial building.
ahh, yeah, dont think we use zoning here in houston so should be good to go. What would be the written proof that there is no law against something though?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

LedJedi wrote:Pros/Cons of getting a FFL?
Some of my information is old, but here is some input.

What motives do you have for getting an FFL?

Many people think that you get big discounts on guns and supplies, but for the most part you don't. For example, Academy and WalMart will be able to sell ammo for cheaper than you can buy it wholesale. Same for guns that you would find at Academy or any large retailer.

It is an advantage that you can ship and receive guns, but they you have to be home to receive them. Most FFLs charge about $20 for this service.

IMO, one of the biggest disadvantages is the record keeping requirements. If you don't like doing paperwork and keeping it up to date, don't get your FFL. I believe that you have to keep a book containing your inventory of every gun and exact amount of ammunition that you possess. I believe that you have to have separate records and storage areas for your business and personal firearms and ammunition.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

Honestly, I don't have a motivation to get one at the moment. I'm just curious as to what having an FFL is all about.
WildBill wrote:
LedJedi wrote:Pros/Cons of getting a FFL?
Some of my information is old, but here is some input.

What motives do you have for getting an FFL?

Many people think that you get big discounts on guns and supplies, but for the most part you don't. For example, Academy and WalMart will be able to sell ammo for cheaper than you can buy it wholesale. Same for guns that you would find at Academy or any large retailer.

It is an advantage that you can ship and receive guns, but they you have to be home to receive them. Most FFLs charge about $20 for this service.

IMO, one of the biggest disadvantages is the record keeping requirements. If you don't like doing paperwork and keeping it up to date, don't get your FFL. I believe that you have to keep a book containing your inventory of every gun and exact amount of ammunition that you possess. I believe that you have to have separate records and storage areas for your business and personal firearms and ammunition.

neal6325

Post by neal6325 »

You can run a business out of your home.

In Houston your biggest problem will be getting around deed restrictions (as was my issue). I most of the Houston area zoning is not an issue.

The process was sligthly time consuming but not difficult.

I found the interview with the ATF to be easier than dealing with my HOA regarding deed resrictions.

If you are interested in how I got around my HOA pm me as I do not want to post details but, I think that in most cases it will work with all HOA's.
CHL Instructor, Member NRA (Life), TSRA, GOA, IDPA, FFL holder, Veteran (USN) and of course a proud TEXAS native.

dihappy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dihappy »

Instead of starting a whole new thread, maybe some of you guys can help.

Is a FFL needed just to purchase an "assault rifle" or do you just need an FFL holder to recieve it for you?

Im curious as far as the "collector" thing goes. I just want to own and shoot certain weapons, how difficult is it to purchase a Class 3 weapon? Does the dealer usually help you out, or is there paperwork that must be in order before you even go shopping?

Thanks.

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

dihappy wrote:Is a FFL needed just to purchase an "assault rifle" or do you just need an FFL holder to recieve it for you?
A Texas resident does not need a FFL to purchase a semi auto AR, AK, etc. in this state. If you can legally purchase a hunting rifle or shotgun, you can legally purchase a self defense rifle or shotgun.
dihappy wrote:Im curious as far as the "collector" thing goes. I just want to own and shoot certain weapons, how difficult is it to purchase a Class 3 weapon? Does the dealer usually help you out, or is there paperwork that must be in order before you even go shopping?
The difficulty depends on many things, like whether you want to own the firearms personally or through a trust, corporation, etc. If you want to own them personally, getting the CLEO sign off can be easy or very difficult, depending on the CLEO and their belief in the constitution, your personal connections, and in some cases how much money you donated to someone's reelection campaign. A good dealer should help with the paperwork. The specific firearm has to be listed on the Form 4 so it's impossible to do the paperwork first. There's no way to get pre approved before you shop.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

Awesome! Thanks Aard, BTW, you wouldnt happen to know of any good dealers in around Austin would you :)

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

If a dealer wants money up front and says something like "you won't have any trouble getting approved", just turn around and walk away.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

steelyekotd

Post by steelyekotd »

neal6325 wrote:You can run a business out of your home.

In Houston your biggest problem will be getting around deed restrictions (as was my issue). I most of the Houston area zoning is not an issue.

The process was sligthly time consuming but not difficult.

I found the interview with the ATF to be easier than dealing with my HOA regarding deed resrictions.

If you are interested in how I got around my HOA pm me as I do not want to post details but, I think that in most cases it will work with all HOA's.
Neal I aminterested in getting around HHow but zoning board is giving me problems also l how soon they forget A business was run for 15 years out of the same home I am requesting on an office out of to comply with Atf. The Atf is giving me a week to remedy the problem ,ex navy myself and sick of city over regulation Respond as soon as you can Thanks

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

On the "Collector Thing." That is what is referred to as a Type 03 (not to be confused with Class III firearms) Collector of Curios and Relics License. This license is $30 for three years. The full definition of "Curios and Relics" can get rather involved, but the broad-brush is generally firearms that are more than 50 years old and/or have a specific collector value as determined by the BATFE. I have used my C&R License to purchase a number of military surplus firearms and the advantage is that you can have them shipped straight from the vendor to your home. Also, some vendors of supplies (parts, slings, stocks, cleaning equipment) would give a C&R Licensee the Dealer Price. A non-military surplus example of a firearm that can be considered C&R would be a 1950s vintage S&W revolver. Biggest issue I have had with the C&R is not all Type 01 (regular FFL for dealers) will recognize a C&R licensee to ship a firearm that is "on the list" directly to you; they only want to ship to another 01 dealer. There are several fully automatic firearms on the C&R list, but they still fall under the NFA and the ones that are on the list are very pricey.

Record keeping for a C&R is a little easier that for a dealer, but still must be done IAW BATFE regs. Local regulation is not an issue other than having to deliver a copy of your application for issue or renewal to the "Chief law Enforcement Officer" (usually Chief of Police or County Sheriff). A C&R does NOT make you a dealer, but you get a little more latitude in selling parts of your collection--all open to BATFE interpretation.
:tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Eek Zombie thread!!! I'm scared! :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Wow, first time poster opens a nearly decade old thread and then writes in broken English. Uh?

Return to “FFL Holders”