FFL - Need some direction from those who hold current FFL

FFL's post your location, contact information and transfer fees

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The_Busy_Mom
Posts in topic: 1

FFL - Need some direction from those who hold current FFL

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

My husband and I are considering starting up an FFL to be based from our home. I would like to know if there are any current FFL holders who have gone through this procedure and would be willing to help us out via advice and wisdom. I am very familiar with the ATF website, have downloaded the application, and have been researching for the last several weeks. I know about record keeping, and following the laws, but I am looking for some comprehensive information/literature (or someone's compiled list) of things that need to be done to pass for an initial license. For example, where do I find the specifics on how the room in our home needs to be set up in order to comply with ATF guidelines? And the application has a space for business hours. Somewhere I read that the ATF investigator will be looking for these hours to be 'posted'. How am I supposed to know exactly what the investigator is looking for? It's not on any checklist that I can find (and I am VERY research/computer saavy). These are just a few issues; where is a comprehensive listing of all the aspects of putting together a FFL home business - I am NOT purchasing a kit!! Also, I feel that we are going to be running into a problem with our HOA deed restrictions. While scouring the web and this forum, I found this post from a previous TexasCHLForum member who has since passed away:
neal6325 wrote:You can run a business out of your home.

In Houston your biggest problem will be getting around deed restrictions (as was my issue). I most of the Houston area zoning is not an issue.

The process was sligthly time consuming but not difficult.

I found the interview with the ATF to be easier than dealing with my HOA regarding deed resrictions.

If you are interested in how I got around my HOA pm me as I do not want to post details but, I think that in most cases it will work with all HOA's.
Can someone enlighten me as to what the 'get around' is for the HOA? Anyone who would be willing to give some advice and wisdom would be greatly appreciated - I will in turn pay it forward one day in the future. Thanks in advance!

The Busy Mom
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wodathunkit

Re: FFL - Need some direction from those who hold current FF

Post by Wodathunkit »

Sorry not an FFL, but I have a question for you, I watched the "kit" video. Is there a reason you didn't go that direction?
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RottenApple »

The_Busy_Mom wrote:My husband and I are considering starting up an FFL to be based from our home. I would like to know if there are any current FFL holders who have gone through this procedure and would be willing to help us out via advice and wisdom. I am very familiar with the ATF website, have downloaded the application, and have been researching for the last several weeks. I know about record keeping, and following the laws, but I am looking for some comprehensive information/literature (or someone's compiled list) of things that need to be done to pass for an initial license. For example, where do I find the specifics on how the room in our home needs to be set up in order to comply with ATF guidelines? And the application has a space for business hours. Somewhere I read that the ATF investigator will be looking for these hours to be 'posted'. How am I supposed to know exactly what the investigator is looking for? It's not on any checklist that I can find (and I am VERY research/computer saavy). These are just a few issues; where is a comprehensive listing of all the aspects of putting together a FFL home business - I am NOT purchasing a kit!! Also, I feel that we are going to be running into a problem with our HOA deed restrictions. While scouring the web and this forum, I found this post from a previous TexasCHLForum member who has since passed away:
neal6325 wrote:You can run a business out of your home.

In Houston your biggest problem will be getting around deed restrictions (as was my issue). I most of the Houston area zoning is not an issue.

The process was sligthly time consuming but not difficult.

I found the interview with the ATF to be easier than dealing with my HOA regarding deed resrictions.

If you are interested in how I got around my HOA pm me as I do not want to post details but, I think that in most cases it will work with all HOA's.
Can someone enlighten me as to what the 'get around' is for the HOA? Anyone who would be willing to give some advice and wisdom would be greatly appreciated - I will in turn pay it forward one day in the future. Thanks in advance!

The Busy Mom
Did you send neal6325 a PM on the subject? There may be reasons he doesn't want to publicly post the details.

RX8er
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RX8er »

RottenApple wrote:Did you send neal6325 a PM on the subject? There may be reasons he doesn't want to publicly post the details.
That is a good question and maybe you missed that part of her post that answers the question:
The_Busy_Mom wrote:While scouring the web and this forum, I found this post from a previous TexasCHLForum member who has since passed away:
Here's the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58412&p=717279&hil ... th#p717279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RX8er on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Wodathunkit wrote:Sorry not an FFL, but I have a question for you, I watched the "kit" video. Is there a reason you didn't go that direction?
Thanks for the response. One step at a time right now. If the HOA has a business clause in the bylaws, :rules: no sense in spending the $40 to order the kit. Violating the bylaws is a no go, which the ATF seems to research while completing the inspections. :banghead:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RottenApple »

RX8er wrote:
RottenApple wrote:Did you send neal6325 a PM on the subject? There may be reasons he doesn't want to publicly post the details.
That is a good question and maybe you missed that part of her post that answers the question:
The_Busy_Mom wrote:While scouring the web and this forum, I found this post from a previous TexasCHLForum member who has since passed away:
Here's the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58412&p=717279&hil ... th#p717279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep. Sure did. :oops:

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

The ATF will require a signed letter of approval from the HOA that they understand and acknowledge that a firearms business will be located within the HOA jursidiction. First step is to find out if they have approved any other business....
Salty1

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Thanks Salty.... We have written our letter to the HOA and will send it certified after MLK day. Our HOA is not about "no business" it's more about not wanting a retail type of establishment or folks visiting the house for business purposes. We have several residents who operate their business from their home an din one case, I visited one, at their home, to look at samples. So, we have some background.

05RKClass

Post by 05RKClass »

We went through the same issue while applying for our FFL. We initially wanted a smaller operation with a limited and scheduled clientele. I was planning on doing more specialized items and Class III stuff with a particular crowd. We went to the HOA meeting and proposed our intentions. They where a bit apprehensive at first, but when we indicated our traffic would be extremely limited they finally agreed. Our wonderful HOA even gave us a letter to submit to the BATFE!! :clapping:

Just when we thought we were golden... The legalese in the letter didn't meet the BATFE requirements. :mad5 The BATFE wanted the letter to indicated that we could have customers come by our place of business. The HOA frowned heavily on the blanket statement of "open for business" and would not write another letter. They indicated that the first letter was as far as they were willing to go. The problem is the customer traffic not the business itself. There are several businesses in our HOA's area, but they are consulting, website design, etc. and not a firearm dealer.

We ended up getting a small office to conduct business. Kind of a pain sometimes, but it is working so far. If I can ever figure out a way to appease both the HOA and BATFE... :headscratch
07/02 FFL/SOT
NRA Life Member
Texas CHL Holder

Return to “FFL Holders”