New LTC holder, looking for advice on my .38 and S&W .357

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Steven6702
Posts in topic: 1

New LTC holder, looking for advice on my .38 and S&W .357

Post by Steven6702 »

Hello, I've had these two guns for a long time but just recently decided to get my LTC and start carrying concealed.

One is a .357 S&W Model 65 3" that shipped in Nov. 1985; I'm not sure if that makes it a 65-1, 65-2, 65-3, etc. or what those designations mean, but I've had this gun for a while. The other is this Charter Arms Classic Undercover .38 Special.

For the .38, I have an OWB holster that I've had for a while but never worn, and just picked up this generic IWB holster that I kind of like and have now worn a few times. However, I'd like one that I can tuck a shirt over since I need to look semi-professional but am not a huge fan of sweaters/jackets in Texas. So if anyone has recommendations on those - or even a good place to look for them - I'd appreciate it. I'm used to just being able to go on Amazon and find what I need easily, but the numbers and types and nuances of all these different types of holsters is a bit overwhelming, and the ones I'm seeing on Amazon that might work are not reviewed so it's hard to know what I'm getting.

For that S&W M65, same deal, wondering if it's practical to conceal IWB since it's a good deal bigger. Any suggestions on that front, especially for something I can wear with a tucked in shirt?

If anyone has general insights about these guns or tips you've found useful from a concealment standpoint, I'd appreciate anything you can share. It seems like a lot of what I read is about non-revolvers, and I've thought a lot about getting something new, but to me it just seems like a revolver is the easiest thing to use if you need it in a pinch and you never have to worry about it jamming or a round getting stuck, etc. But again, I'm pretty new to carrying so would love to hear from others on your preferences and rationale.

Thanks!

Lambda Force

Re: New LTC holder, looking for advice on my .38 and S&W .357

Post by Lambda Force »

There's nothing wrong with carrying a revolver, especially if you feel more comfortable with that manual of arms. However, the hammer spur is going to make those two more challenging to carry than a 642, for example, if you don't want OWB. You might want to look at a hybrid tuckable, like a Comp-Tac, although I'm not sure if they make rigs for revolvers.

Whatever you do, get a good belt.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Welcome to the forum Steven6702.
I suggest staying away from generic holsters for any handgun that you will carry.

You might want to look at a pocket holster for the Charter Arms revolver.
I have had good luck with the DeSantis Nemesis holsters. I carried a Colt
Detective Special in one of these. I am not bothered by the hammer spur.
In fact, I think revolvers without exposed hammers are ugly. :tiphat:
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I'm thinking the dash number should be visible on the frame or cylinder hinge arm thingy when it's open. I'm at my desk so can't go and look right now. My holsters for revolvers are all OWB. I usually wear untucked shirts so it's not usually a problem. With the .38 you might consider an ankle holster as an option. I'm looking to get one my my model 642. I'm sure someone that carries IWB revolvers will chime in.

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

Check out Simply Rugged pancake holsters. I have a 3" model 65 I carry in one, also a SP 101 in another. They are set up to work as owb and iwb. The best set up I have used to date. My SP101 has a hammer spur but with that holster it doesn't bother me, an I am a little fluffy. The model 65 is customized and the hammer spur has been bobbed. I don't know to much about the charter arms but the 3" 65 is one of the better carry wheels in my opinion. Get some speed loaders and speed strips and load them with empty brass and while watching tv or something practice loading the revolver. Focus on your technique and when you get practiced with empty brass change to dummy loads. Doing this will help build your speed so you will be able to reload quickly. Also practice in the dark reloading cause you never know. Lots of people carry semi autos due to they are easier to reload, but with a little practice you can reload as quick as most and the wheelgun doesn't jam. Enjoy. :tiphat:
Truth against the world

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

For IWB tuckable

Crossbreed holsters

Alien gear holsters

I have no history with comp tac but people seem to like them.

I own both crossbreed and alien gear and like both

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I don't have any revolvers but just want to chime in on Alien Gear.

I have one and I like it for a larger gun but one of the selling points is you can change out the shell for a different gun. From what I remember a backing to a revolver shell is not the same as a semi-auto backing so I don't believe they will be interchangeable. You would be able to get a shell for both revolvers if they make them for the both.

I like my alien gear and carry a Springfield XD with it when I do use it. Soon to use it for a VP9. I have no other experience with a dual clip IWB. I just wanted you to be fully informed.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

As someone who carries revolvers quite frequently, I'll offer some hints...

The Charter Arms will be easy to find holsters for, but IMO stay away from the generics (Uncle Mike's, etc.) -- for daily carry, especially concealed, a model-specific holster that retains by "fit" rather than a strap is much easier to deal with. Workable off-the-shelf gear includes some offerings by Blackhawk, Galco, and Bianchi. Semi-custom/web order gear, my first choice is usually Comp-Tac, followed by alien gear.

Most anything that fits a S&W J-Frame will work just fine for that Charter Arms piece.

Now that 3"? That gun's got to go. It's not practical for concealed carry, and I feel I would be doing you a service if I were to take it off your hands for a reasonable fee. :biggrinjester:

All kidding aside, a 3" wheel gun is practical for IWB CC with the right gear. It starts with a good gun belt (Comp-Tac, Galco, BeltMan) and a decent holster. For mid-frame IWB Wheel guns, my go-to holsters are the Milt Sparks Summer Special and the better-grade knock-offs of that rig. Galco's is decent.

Tuckable for that 65 may be a little harder to come by; I'm not sure if the Mitch Rosen Workman Special is available for that frame or not, but I'm sure someone makes a similar rig. IWB Pancake-style tuckable holsters would be the way I'd go, but you're likely looking at semi-custom manufacturers for that frame. Little Bear holsters (not sure if they're still around) made me a really nice J-frame rig on that model, and being a semi-custom maker would have done a K-frame rig for me as well when I talked to him--but that was back in '09.

I'll try to look up some of the branding on the assortment of wheel-gun rigs I've got around the house...many of mine are older "vintage" pieces that I've picked up over the years from back when revolvers were more mainstream.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”