Mini Review - Walker Xcel 100 hearing protection

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Mini Review - Walker Xcel 100 hearing protection

Post by Scott B. » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:01 pm

I shoot a lot, both indoor and outdoor. An outdoor class can run 2 to 4 hrs so ear comfort / hearing protection is key. I've used Howard Leight Impact Sports (Honeywell) for the last 4 years or so. I did upgrade the gel cushions last year which helped tremendously. I also have some PELTOR Tactical Earplug TEP-100 (3M) that I use from time to time.

About a month ago I decided to try Walker's new Xcel 100 offering. I opted not to get the Bluetooth 500BT version. When I'm on the range, if I absolutely have to interact w/ my cell phone I'll step off the line.

The Xcel head set has 4 omni-directional mics, 2 on each side, and the sound quality is more 'live' than any other hearing protection I've tried. I was really pleasantly surprised by the difference. They are comfortable. Controls are intuitive. They run on 2 AAAs and have an auto-shutoff feature you change from 2/4/6 hours. Only down check I could give might be a lack of color choice and some useless rubber bumpers on the lower cup that I've already lost one of and will never miss.

They are my new go-to hearing protection. The old Howard Leight's have been moved to the spare gear shelf. The Peltor in-ears are small enough that they'll stay in my range bag.

Specs:

https://www.walkersgameear.com/xcel-100 ... 68a22-553f

$83.57 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Digital- ... B07C62NQFP
LTC / SSO Instructor. NRA - Instructor, RSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Jusme

Re: Mini Review - Walker Xcel 100 hearing protection

Post by Jusme » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:18 pm

I have the Walker Razors, and I really like them, the only thing is they do not have the omni directional mics, so, sound originating in front may sound like it's coming from behind.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

AndyC

Post by AndyC » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I moved to Walker Razor a few years ago as well, after finding that the Howard Leight Impact Sports were too small for my ears (and my ears ain't that big, neither) and causing actual discomfort. I like the Walker gear a lot.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 pm

I wear hearing aids and have to take them out for hunting. Do you think this would be acceptable for hunting? Do they work will enough to hear squirrels and deer?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”