Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:41 am
https://www.xdgunparts.com/product/DD_XDM3-8.html
From the XD forum:
Rbrad1
Premium Member
Joined Jan 3, 2011
4,971 Posts
#2 • Mar 5, 2014
When I had my XDm .45, I called Springfield and they said that they would do the work. It would be about 6 weeks. That was back in 2011.
Between the cost of the slide, and the work you were charged for, which was found to be substandard and functionally unsafe, it qualifies for small claims court. If the owner is a S&W Dealer, this could be addressed with S&W on that basis as well (e.g., owner could call, asking for a dealer-price slide with factory mill, or you can contact S&W about the misbehavior of a dealer). Hopefully, they'll spend the ~$500 and get you an RMR slide without publicity and court.
I do not believe they are a Springfield dealer.
I spoke to them this morning, went through my entire list of concerns, offered to list my "custom piece" all over social media for them.
I presented 3 options.
OEM slide, refund, walk away like this never happened.
OEM Slide with work done properly, as originally agreed, new extractor and striker safety spring, keep what's been paid. Walk away.
QUALITY aftermarket slide. Keep $, walk away - I'll worry about internals etc.

They chose the second option, to be ready early next week. I've been told "next week" plenty.
We'll see
When any govt, or church,says This you can't read, are forbidden to know, the result is tyranny and oppression. Little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked; no force can control a free man, not the rack, bombs, not anything, you can't conquer a free man, at most you can kill him.

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Opinion on gunsmith situation

Post by PUCKER » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:11 am

I think a 2nd week apprentice could've done a better job with his set of files... :tiphat:

That is really some ugly machining work - I know that you know that...but WOW! :shock:

Hope it works out to your satisfaction. :tiphat:

Rafe

Post by Rafe » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:59 am

Yep. Hoping for the best on this second time around with this gunsmith...whose title should be used lightly.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
SRO1911
Posts in topic: 7

Post by SRO1911 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:54 pm

If only Springfield was nice enough to offer an optics ready 45.

9...10. They get the love
When any govt, or church,says This you can't read, are forbidden to know, the result is tyranny and oppression. Little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked; no force can control a free man, not the rack, bombs, not anything, you can't conquer a free man, at most you can kill him.

Topic author
SRO1911
Posts in topic: 7

Post by SRO1911 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:24 pm

Finally resolved.
After some additional back and forth, and discussion on the value of social media - it was mutually agreed that it was sub par work.
Since their was a confidence issue in the original gunsmith trying again on an OEM slide, he instead ordered a DV8 raptor slide with the vortex cut as well as a new extractor. Everything finally came in last week, and fit up nicely - with the exception of my Advantage tactical sights. The rear sight is too long to clear the optic because of how close DV8 puts the cuts. I'll be ordering a set of tall sights - an ok price to pay I think.

I don't think I will be taking them any additional handgun work, I must say that the final outcome far exceeded my expectations, in spite of how badly it started, I won't bash on them either.

JRG

Post by JRG » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:46 am

So glad you got some resolution and are okay with it.

Joe

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:48 pm

Put them on blast in public. Do you trust their ability to fix their screw up, this time knowing that it's all on their dime? I'd get a new slide and take it to someone who isn't bad at gunsmithing.

jsenner

Post by jsenner » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:56 pm

I've milled out a lot of slides for sights. I've messed some of them up. one time I got rushed and missed a digit on the CNC Z axis and punched through. My very next step was to go order a new slide and eat it. it was my mistake, not the customer's. there's no excuse for handing what you got to a customer.

who knows the why. it could be, because of the bad backlog they brought in some "help" and they messed up. who knows. at the end of the day, that gunsmith needed to take responsibility over the result no matter who did it.

if you do go back to them, I'd do it with simple low value stuff to start with. see what happens. their load may let up, they calm down, and get back to doing quality work.

and seriously, switching 6-32 screws? a lot of sights come with and use 6-32 but I don't think there's a more pain in the butt thread to cut. I've had lots of tooling break trying to cut those, especially in SW slides, those tend to work harden quickly. any smith with slide experience would not ditch the better screws that came with your slide. I always try to talk folks into letting me toss the 6-32's and get them some better screws.

there will always be milling marks, but those look pretty intense. I always buff out the mill marks. it's not that hard.

anyway, glad it worked out for you in the end and they were open to fixing things. sorry you had to go through it all though.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”