Mountain Lion Encounter

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Mountain Lion Encounter

Post by Excaliber »

This would have been another "hiker mauled by mountain lion" story but it ended differently because the intended victim was prepared and willing to defend himself:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1761704591748444262
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

JRG

Re: Mountain Lion Encounter

Post by JRG »

Wow! That would have had such a different outcome if the guy hadn't had his pistol!

Joe

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Glad he was prepared. I don’t walk out of my house not prepared. Walmart is dangerous.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Although he didn’t run, I wonder about continuing to retreat like he did versus just standing still. He could have tripped walking backwards like he did and provided an opportunity for that lion to pounce.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

C-dub wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:44 am Although he didn’t run, I wonder about continuing to retreat like he did versus just standing still. He could have tripped walking backwards like he did and provided an opportunity for that lion to pounce.
Yep. Backing up on rough ground with staring down a mountain lion is a good way to fall. Safest to move in the direction of your toes in the 5 or 7 o'clock angles. In the 5 o'clock you could potentially keep both hands on the gun... 7 o'clock is strong hand only.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Big Bend NP recommends shouting and throwing rocks at the lion. Apparently it scares them away.

From the video, the slowly backing away only seemed to encourage the lion.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Somebody told me if you see a mountain lion, it has been watching you for at least a half an hour.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:31 am
C-dub wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:44 am Although he didn’t run, I wonder about continuing to retreat like he did versus just standing still. He could have tripped walking backwards like he did and provided an opportunity for that lion to pounce.
Yep. Backing up on rough ground with staring down a mountain lion is a good way to fall. Safest to move in the direction of your toes in the 5 or 7 o'clock angles. In the 5 o'clock you could potentially keep both hands on the gun... 7 o'clock is strong hand only.
Yep. Isn't there some sort of mountain lion stand your ground law? :mrgreen:

But, yeah; I've always heard that mountain lions prefer to attack from the rear or sides, and displaying your back and trying to run is the absolute worst thing to do. Usain Bolt ain't gonna outrun a mountain lion: they can reach speeds of over 40mph; the fastest Usain was ever clocked at was a smidge over 27. My top speed, on the other hand, is about 3mph. Guns are dandy noise-makers, and if you encounter one it ain't gonna be inside COSTCO. So if you'd rather be big and make noise before actually shooting the feline, I think I'd give it my best Tarzan yell while popping a couple of rounds in front of the cat. 'Course, if you're alone on trail and the critter comes up behind you...no bueno.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”