Seeking Holosun Advice

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 6

Seeking Holosun Advice

Post by Rafe »

I've decided to make big changes to my EDC. I'm going to 9mm, which has never been a standard carry for me, I'm moving to appendix carry, and I want an optic from the get-go.

I've settled on the gun, a G48 Gen 5 MOS. It ended up being between that and a SIG 365XL, but the SIG felt just a little too small overall and I shot the G48 better; maybe part of that was the slightly longer barrel. My typical EDC forever has been 1911s, so even the 10+1 round count doesn't put me off, but I'm also going to try the Shield Arms S15 magazines for 15+1 and see if they perform reliably. Even those would be cheaper than mags for the SIG.

Anyway, that decision made, the next is the optic. I don't have much experience with Holosun, but what I've seen I've liked. Their website, however, is pretty clunky. So I thought I'd turn to the knowledgeable bunch here on the board.

The G48's slide is only 0.87" wide, so I need a small carry optic. New this year from Holosun is the SCS Carry, standing for "solar charging sight." Internal non-replaceable battery evidently, and it isn't "shake-awake" technology, so I don't know if the thing simply stays on 24x7 or what. It has similar dimensions to the EPS Carry MRS at 0.95" wide with a 0.58" x 0.77" view window. I like the idea of the larger view window in the HE509T-GR X2 (0.66" x 0.9") but I don't know if the 1.13" width would introduce potential snagging problems with appendix carry on the narrow G48 slide.

I want an enclosed sight housing rather than the open type, and I prefer the 2 MOA dot with 32 MOA circle because it's very similar to the EOtechs I have on most of my carbines, so I'm used to it.

I'm stuck trying to decide between those three Holosun models. Anybody have a preference? All advice greatly appreciated!
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Seeking Holosun Advice

Post by FastCarry »

My vote goes to the EPS carry

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Here is a good reference chart for you. My vote would also be the EPS Carry.

https://freedomgorilla.com/blogs/news/h ... heat-sheet

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

FWIW, I have a 407k x2 on the G19 I carry AIWB.
The original unit arrived not working properly. The shake awake feature was slow, almost not functional.
I reached out to Holosun and they replaced it quickly. I was online in maybe a week. Trouble free for the 18 months since.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Rapid response! Thanks, guys!

Jose, that link to Freedom Gorilla is spectacularly helpful. I wish my Googling had found it. It even includes some installation info (like I'd need to buy different screws for the best fit) that I'd never have known about otherwise.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I have the Holosun 407 x2 on my 48. I went with the Green. Love it. As for mags, I have started using the PSA MicroDagger 15 round mags and after about 500 rounds have not had any issues with them.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm I have the Holosun 407 x2 on my 48. I went with the Green. Love it. As for mags, I have started using the PSA MicroDagger 15 round mags and after about 500 rounds have not had any issues with them.
Thanks for that. I didn't know about the PSA magazines. A couple of the reviews were sort of mixed, but those would mean keeping the original Glock polymer mag catch and not switching to a Shield Arms metal one.

The site Juan noted also confirmed that the HE509T-GR X2 would not be compatible with the G48. I guess I've gotta find a local store where I can compare the Holosun models side by side for myself. I mean, I test fired four "candidate" guns, and if I'm gonna spend $450-$500 on the optic I guess I should at least see the options in person. I admit I'm concerned about the size of the smaller viewports and what the reticle will look like at normal extension.

And I'm not getting much sleep at night because my 1911s keep waking me up saying, "Don't do it. You know you prefer .45 ACP. You'll keep trying to feel the safety with your thumb, and there won't be one."
:biggrinjester:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My son carries a G43X with a Holosun on it. I’ll ask him which one he uses, because it should fit your 48.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:42 pm My son carries a G43X with a Holosun on it. I’ll ask him which one he uses, because it should fit your 48.
Yep; exactly the same RMSc footprint. I appreciate it.

And do I remember correctly that you made the EDC switch some years ago from 1911 to Glock 9mm? I haven't carried IWB in a long time, but I have some changing dress-around requirements and decided to go AIWB. The G19 isn't all that much wider, but the G48 seems to ride in that position a lot better for me. That said, I only tried with one holster manufacturer. Holster-buying will come after I get the optic mounted and spend some quality range time with the configuration. So I may not have tried the right holsters when comparing the two pistols.

I may have to loosen up on my desire for an enclosed emitter, too. The top 3 recommendations from the Freedom Gorilla site that Jose mentioned are the Holosun 407K, 507K, and EPS Carry...which matches the feedback here so far. Of the 3 the EPS Carry is the only enclosed emitter. It's a fairly small viewport, and the other thing I'm not thrilled about is that per-click sight adjustment is 1.5 MOA. I'd never be going all William Tell at 50 yards, but 2 clicks and 3 MOA just doesn't seem that precise.

I keep looking back at the 509T X2 which has a larger viewport and 1 MOA per click windage and elevation. But I known now that would mean a G19. I'm too cheap for it, but it could come down to buying both guns and two different optics. I may not really be able to choose until I've put a few hundred rounds through them, and carried each of them a while, to see if there's a clear winner.

"Oh, sweetheart. Remember when I said one new gun and one new optic?" :???:

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

To make life a little more complicated, I found this site last night: https://www.badassoptic.com/holosun-507c-vs-509t-x2/

In their testing they noted: "The core difference is that the 509T features a 0.5 MOA / Click adjustment while the Holosun 507C only features 1 MOA / Click adjustment."

So now I'm not sure if I can trust the factory specs that Holosun presents. Again, not a huge thing for a pistol optic, and maybe I've taken too many IDPA "hostage" shots in my day. A 1.5 MOA adjustment on the EPS Carry at 25 yards should mean only 3/8" steps in mechanical accuracy. But still.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rafe wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:46 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:42 pm My son carries a G43X with a Holosun on it. I’ll ask him which one he uses, because it should fit your 48.
Yep; exactly the same RMSc footprint. I appreciate it.

And do I remember correctly that you made the EDC switch some years ago from 1911 to Glock 9mm? I haven't carried IWB in a long time, but I have some changing dress-around requirements and decided to go AIWB. The G19 isn't all that much wider, but the G48 seems to ride in that position a lot better for me. That said, I only tried with one holster manufacturer. Holster-buying will come after I get the optic mounted and spend some quality range time with the configuration. So I may not have tried the right holsters when comparing the two pistols.

I may have to loosen up on my desire for an enclosed emitter, too. The top 3 recommendations from the Freedom Gorilla site that Jose mentioned are the Holosun 407K, 507K, and EPS Carry...which matches the feedback here so far. Of the 3 the EPS Carry is the only enclosed emitter. It's a fairly small viewport, and the other thing I'm not thrilled about is that per-click sight adjustment is 1.5 MOA. I'd never be going all William Tell at 50 yards, but 2 clicks and 3 MOA just doesn't seem that precise.

I keep looking back at the 509T X2 which has a larger viewport and 1 MOA per click windage and elevation. But I known now that would mean a G19. I'm too cheap for it, but it could come down to buying both guns and two different optics. I may not really be able to choose until I've put a few hundred rounds through them, and carried each of them a while, to see if there's a clear winner.

"Oh, sweetheart. Remember when I said one new gun and one new optic?" :???:
My son just got back to me. He said:
I have a 507c on my 17 and a 507k on my 43x
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

One thing to add on my experience with the 509T on my Gen 3 Glock 17 that's milled for an RMR. I'm using the C&H plate and have Ameriglo Suppressor Height Sights, I'm only getting a lower 1/3 view of them. Not really liking it, but it's workable. Really need to do some practicing with the dot off.

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Many thanks, TAM.

Jose: Yeah; I'm kinda expecting to be in a potentially trial-and-error area with adapter plates and desired cowitnessing for "irons." But at least changing an adapter plate or the factory iron sights will be a lot less expensive than spending $500 on the wrong optic. :???:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”