What to buy my wife?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What to buy my wife?

Post by Venus Pax »

If you have friends that shoot, borrow some of their handguns and let her shoot them. It's hard to tell what you like until you actually shoot it.

She really needs to make this choice herself. Guns are like shoes--what fits you properly will not necessarily work for her. (And you need a lot of both.)
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

solaritx

Post by solaritx »

I have to quit speed reading: I looked at this title of "what to buy my wife?" and read "Want to buy my wife?"

I quickly went to this post and depending on condition and cost of the wife in question, I thought that if I didn't have the purchase price, at least I had a couple of guns that I might trade?

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DoubleJ »

:lol: :smilelol5:
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

BigDan
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BigDan »

Ever since the first time someone thought the title read Want instead of What, I can't help but see it there now!! :lol:
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Fr. TX Rep. Suzanna Hupp
!حان أن أحصل على بعض

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

solaritx wrote:I have to quit speed reading: I looked at this title of "what to buy my wife?" and read "Want to buy my wife?"

I quickly went to this post and depending on condition and cost of the wife in question, I thought that if I didn't have the purchase price, at least I had a couple of guns that I might trade?
I know two ladies that better not see this post! ;-)
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

billfromtx

Post by billfromtx »

My wife loves her Lady Smith 38 I got her. Simple, easy to operate, safe, and she shoots it well.
To err is human.
To forgive is divine.
Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

Topic author
TommyGlock
Banned

Post by TommyGlock »

solaritx wrote:I have to quit speed reading: I looked at this title of "what to buy my wife?" and read "Want to buy my wife?"

I'll entertain any reasonable offer.
Texas CHL class taken April 19, 2008
Application mailed to DPS May 6, 2008
Utah CHL class taken May 17, 2008
Utah app mailed May 20, 2008
Utah hits my credit card June 9, 2008
Recieved Texas PIN June 9, 2008

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Make that THREE ladies that it would be best if they didn't read this thread! "rlol"
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

CompVest wrote:Make that THREE ladies that it would be best if they didn't read this thread! "rlol"
Ya don't see me making those kind of posts. My wife shoots better than I do.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

BigDan wrote:And don't forget that many ranges will let you rent guns. Bring yours and let her pick out 2 or 3 and let her fire them all. That way, she can feel how each one is different. Make sure that the big 3 calibers are present so she can feel the difference in the BANG. =-]
Wait, which three are those? I know of at least 5 common calibers that would be considered "big"...

.44 Magnum
.357 Magnum
.45 Auto
.40 S&W
.357 Sig

Perhaps you're meaning "anything that starts with a 4". Not sure that most of those are conducive selections to a new shooter carrying for the first time...
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

austin-tatious

Post by austin-tatious »

"Big 3" likely refers to the three calibers most commonly used...9mm, .40, and .45.

And I, too, read 'What' as 'Want'!!

BigDan
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BigDan »

My apologies. I'm a semi-auto person, so that's how I think. I figure since they're the most common for semi-autos, this would give her a feel for the difference between the loads. If a 9mm still packs too much "heat", you can fall back to .380.

Again, not to discount round guns, et al. Just my frame of reference. I went back and looked at the post later and realized I had left a big population out of that simple statement, but it had until now been unnoticed.

=-]
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Fr. TX Rep. Suzanna Hupp
!حان أن أحصل على بعض

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

NcongruNt wrote:
BigDan wrote:And don't forget that many ranges will let you rent guns. Bring yours and let her pick out 2 or 3 and let her fire them all. That way, she can feel how each one is different. Make sure that the big 3 calibers are present so she can feel the difference in the BANG. =-]
Wait, which three are those? I know of at least 5 common calibers that would be considered "big"...

.44 Magnum
.357 Magnum
.45 Auto
.40 S&W
.357 Sig

Perhaps you're meaning "anything that starts with a 4". Not sure that most of those are conducive selections to a new shooter carrying for the first time...
Yew mean 40 Short and Wimpy???? :lol: :mrgreen: :biggrinjester:
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

10mm Kurz
"hic sunt dracones"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”