Left SIG for Beretta 92FS

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BerettaUSMC60
Posts in topic: 2

Left SIG for Beretta 92FS

Post by BerettaUSMC60 »

It may seem anathema to many but I left my SiGPro 2340 and SIG P239 (.40 S&W and .357 SIG) for what many may call an old military-issue piece of junk.

My reasons for carrying it?

1) I feel like it is an AK-47 of semi-autos (drop it in the mud and keep firing with confidence)
2) Accuracy (I get tight, consistent groups)
3) Ammo capacity (15-20 round magazines)
4) Safety. Despite liking, at first, the decock mechanism of the SIGs, I now prefer the option to be able to carry "ON safe!"

Current ammo of choice?

Corbon 9mm Luger +P (125 grain JHP)

Notes: I have a couple 17-round magazines from Beretta that, when fully loaded (+ one in chamber,) seems a bit tight. I can either 1) stay as is [18] 2) go with 16 rounds (+1 in chamber) [17] or 3) stay with factory 15-round magazine 92 FS came with [16.]

More range testing will determine my decision.

The Corbon 9mm Luger +P/125 grain JHP (as with most defensive ammo) is not cheap and it seems a lot of law enforcement in my area using 9mm like this brand also! I do confess I like what I have read regarding results of .357 SIG rounds in self-defense (or field reports) stays in my mind as a backup weapon caliber. My P239 came with a factory .40 S&W barrel and when I placed an ORDERED P-239 .357 SIG barrel in it I had jamming issues (I suppose a "lemon" instance in my case?)

I am about 6', 195 lbs, so IWB with this Beretta is not really a problem.

Comments welcome! Looking for fellow Beretta 92FS family advocates in the DFW area for discussion.

/salute :txflag:

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Left SIG for Beretta 92FS

Post by Oldgringo »

We have choices. :patriot: Is this a great country or what?

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

Take a glance at my signature and you will find the links for my holster review on the MTAC from Comp-Tac. It what I have used for about a year and half. There is nothing wrong with the Beretta. :coolgleamA: :cheers2:

Also take a stoll over the Beretta Forum and you will find a load of info. I would be willing to bet that half of it's members are from Texas. :txflag:
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

wilder

Post by wilder »

I've got some of the Mec-gar 18 round mags for my 92fs and they work great.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

BerettaUSMC60 wrote:It may seem anathema to many but I left my SiGPro 2340 and SIG P239 (.40 S&W and .357 SIG) for what many may call an old military-issue piece of junk.

My reasons for carrying it?

1) I feel like it is an AK-47 of semi-autos (drop it in the mud and keep firing with confidence)
2) Accuracy (I get tight, consistent groups)
3) Ammo capacity (15-20 round magazines)
4) Safety. Despite liking, at first, the decock mechanism of the SIGs, I now prefer the option to be able to carry "ON safe!"

Current ammo of choice?

Corbon 9mm Luger +P (125 grain JHP)

Notes: I have a couple 17-round magazines from Beretta that, when fully loaded (+ one in chamber,) seems a bit tight. I can either 1) stay as is [18] 2) go with 16 rounds (+1 in chamber) [17] or 3) stay with factory 15-round magazine 92 FS came with [16.]

More range testing will determine my decision.

The Corbon 9mm Luger +P/125 grain JHP (as with most defensive ammo) is not cheap and it seems a lot of law enforcement in my area using 9mm like this brand also! I do confess I like what I have read regarding results of .357 SIG rounds in self-defense (or field reports) stays in my mind as a backup weapon caliber. My P239 came with a factory .40 S&W barrel and when I placed an ORDERED P-239 .357 SIG barrel in it I had jamming issues (I suppose a "lemon" instance in my case?)

I am about 6', 195 lbs, so IWB with this Beretta is not really a problem.

Comments welcome! Looking for fellow Beretta 92FS family advocates in the DFW area for discussion.

/salute :txflag:
I too like the Beretta 92, and carry it often but not most often. Its a great hand gun and the one I would prefer if the balloon ever goes up.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Texd40

Post by Texd40 »

Congratulations on your purchase. You now have a classic. Despite my user name, I too love my 92FS. I have had it for about 18 years now, and it is still the smoothest working, most accurate handgun that I have had the privilege to shoot, plus it looks purty :cool:

Topic author
BerettaUSMC60

Post by BerettaUSMC60 »

Appreciate the feedback! :)

To me, it all comes down to familiarity and routine. I get comfort from wearing this pistol all the time and firing it 99% of the time. I always know what weapon I am going to have to draw and I am confident in what it will do -- and my motions are instinctive.

I occasionally laugh at even my most popular authors, like Vince Flynn, who has his characters (esp. Mitch Rapp) carrying 2 or 3 new pistols every book. I am sure real life "black ops" CAN train AND use ANY weapon at a moment's notice ... but I am aging and my wallet just isn't as flexible as it used to be.

Stay safe, and always remember we have one of the greatest responsibilities as Americans!

:txflag:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Liberty,

If I can thread-jack just for a moment: What do you mean "if the balloon ever goes up"?

Being nuked and the aftermath for the survivors?

Zombies?

Race Riots?

Never stop talking, who cares whose peace of mind they disturb, cell Phone users finally going over the edge-foaming at the mouth mad (see zombies above)

Or....?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Abraham wrote:Liberty,

If I can thread-jack just for a moment: What do you mean "if the balloon ever goes up"?

Being nuked and the aftermath for the survivors?

Zombies?

Race Riots?

Never stop talking, who cares whose peace of mind they disturb, cell Phone users finally going over the edge-foaming at the mouth mad (see zombies above)

Or....?
To me it just means when the crud hits the fan. I meant it on a personnel scale not a grand scale.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Liberty,

I understand.

Thanks!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”