Mounting Holster in car

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

HotLeadSolutions
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Mounting Holster in car

Post by HotLeadSolutions »

BrianSW99 wrote:
HotLeadSolutions wrote:With me sitting in the seat, the firearm is totally concealed, but when I get stopped, and I have...I move it from that location to the pocket in my door. It can be done while rolling and without drawing attention to motion inside of the vehicle. Thank you for the heads up..
When you move it to the door pocket, can it be seen at all from the passenger side window, like if the officer or a backup officer approached on the other side?

I've thought about a car mounted holster, but it makes me nervous. I've read of at least one other person on here that ran into some legal problems after trying to conceal a gun off their person in a vehicle. When I look at some of the pictures that are posted of car holsters, particularly the ones right at the from of the seat, I wonder how they couldn't be seen because it looks like they stick up pretty high. I guess I'd have to see one in person sometime to get a better idea of how well they're actually concealed.

Brian
No, the door pocket is deep enough to conceal even a full frame. I drive an HHR that has small windows that are set high, even IF I leave a weapon in the holster when I am not in the car (which I do not...I have a lock box installed in the vehicle), you can't see it because of the way the windows are situated. Also, the center console is positioned in a way that you can't see into the drivers side of the vehicle from the passenger side very clearly at all.
Daniel
CHL Instructor
Dallas Concealed Carry
http://www.DallasConcealedCarry.com

doc540
Posts in topic: 3

Post by doc540 »

BrianSW99 wrote:
HotLeadSolutions wrote:I guess I'd have to see one in person sometime to get a better idea of how well they're actually concealed.

Brian
This

Just last weekend I stood outside the Touring, opened the door and asked a friend to find the pistol inside.

He stood there for a while and said he couldn't see it.

If he couldn't see it with the door open, no one is going to see it with the door closed and the tinted window raised.

Of course, if I'm ever stopped by LEO, I'm definitely going to tell them I have a firearm in the car and not wait for them to "discover" it.
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

HotLeadSolutions wrote:This is how I have mine set up. I used a standard pancake holster that accomidates my autos and revolvers. I drilled the trim piece on the front of my seat, and used rivets to attach the holster. It puts the weapon in the perfect defensive position for a car jacking. Hope the pictures help.
Which M&P is that? I've got the 45c & love it.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

My only concern looking at these solutions is I have a soft leather front, no hard plastic.

My next question for our LEO folks raising concern about pistol placement:
If we're on the up & up with the MPA and/or our CHL & our pistol is concealed enough that no one driving by or from a monster truck could see it, what concerns do we have?
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG

RollTide In Texas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RollTide In Texas »

After watching the video someone posted on how to make a magnetic holster, I'm going to see if there is somewhere under the dash of my F150 I could mount one. Anyone ever consider/try this idea? I figure it would conceal well, and a BG probably wouldn't look for it there.

[youtube][/youtube]
PLAY STUPID GAMES, WIN STUPID PRIZES!

HotLeadSolutions

LAYGO wrote:
HotLeadSolutions wrote:This is how I have mine set up. I used a standard pancake holster that accomidates my autos and revolvers. I drilled the trim piece on the front of my seat, and used rivets to attach the holster. It puts the weapon in the perfect defensive position for a car jacking. Hope the pictures help.
Thats the M&P compact .40, I also have the full size .40. Both are great pistols.
Daniel
CHL Instructor
Dallas Concealed Carry

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

RollTide In Texas wrote:After watching the video someone posted on how to make a magnetic holster, I'm going to see if there is somewhere under the dash of my F150 I could mount one. Anyone ever consider/try this idea? I figure it would conceal well, and a BG probably wouldn't look for it there.

[youtube][/youtube]
You'd have to use some awfully strong magnets to keep the gun from falling off when you hit a pothole or speed bump. I think a standard holster with a retention strap is a better fit for this application.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

ShinerTX

Post by ShinerTX »

These guys provide an excellent solution for mounting in an automobile as well as several other situations. I have a leather rig in my Xterra that has been through 3 vehicles. Also in my wife's Altima.

http://www.grassburr.com/custom-leather-products.ASP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thankGod
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thankGod »

Mounting a holster to the front side of the drivers seat, directly under the right thigh seems as though it would be the fastest and easiest access to the pistol in an emergency.

It seems as though it would be concealed enough as not be noticeable upon casual inspection.

I am currently waiting for a 'Ohai Modular Holster' so I can try this with.
http://crossbreedholsters.com/Holsters/ ... roductName
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

HotLeadSolutions wrote:
LAYGO wrote:
Thats the M&P compact .40, I also have the full size .40. Both are great pistols.
My next is a FS .40 & then a barrel conversion to 9mm.
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

thankGod wrote:Mounting a holster to the front side of the drivers seat, directly under the right thigh seems as though it would be the fastest and easiest access to the pistol in an emergency.
Directly under your right leg seems rife with potential movement issues to me. If you're vehicle is a standard, under your left would pose the same problem & that is having to move your leg while your vehicle is still in gear. Just something else to consider.
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG

HotLeadSolutions

LAYGO wrote:
HotLeadSolutions wrote:
LAYGO wrote:
My next is a FS .40 & then a barrel conversion to 9mm.
You can covert a FS .40 to a SIG .357 with just a barrel conversion, but the 9 conversion takes a few more parts and some luck...
Daniel
CHL Instructor
Dallas Concealed Carry

rbrecount

Post by rbrecount »

I'm new at this too.
I asked about auto carry and concealment and one guy sold me a holster for off-side carry, then said he just slides his pistol under his left leg while driving. Another said that too. I have very loose sheepskin covers up front and carry my piece under that. It's concealed and handy,
Ancient Airman
USN,WW II,Korea
Taurus pt 111
Taurus 24/7 PRO D/S
S&W 642-2 snubbie

doc540

Post by doc540 »

I bought one of the commercially available gun magnets with the intention of trying it for vehicle mount.

While I felt confident it had the power to hold a flat-sided semi during an accident, I ended up using the inexpensive nylon holster with a snap strap.

The magnet was strong. I had to twist the pistol to break it free, and it was not going anywhere unless it was in an accident strong enough to practically break the seat mounts. With it on safety, and low and under the dash I wouldn't have been worried about a ND.
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

thankGod
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thankGod »

LAYGO wrote:
thankGod wrote:Mounting a holster to the front side of the drivers seat, directly under the right thigh seems as though it would be the fastest and easiest access to the pistol in an emergency.
Directly under your right leg seems rife with potential movement issues to me. If you're vehicle is a standard, under your left would pose the same problem & that is having to move your leg while your vehicle is still in gear. Just something else to consider.

I guess I wasn't very clear as usual.

I meant for the holster to be mounted to the hard plastic that is on the lower right hand side of the seat, in such a way that the pistol grip would be lower than the underside of my right thigh. Hopefully the rig will be secure enough, and out of the way enough that my normal driving would not interfere with the weapon.

In any case I'll find out how it works when the holster arrives.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”