Springfield Micro 1911 .45 Auto Feed Issues

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JJMiddleton1
Posts in topic: 2

Springfield Micro 1911 .45 Auto Feed Issues

Post by JJMiddleton1 »

OK, I'm new here, but I have a general equipment issue. My Springfield Armory .45 seems to be jamming every 3rd shot or so. I've switched ammo (cheapies, to S&B, to hand loads), tried changing clips (back-ups, new clips from my Kimber, Wilson Combats....), and of course maintenance, cleaning, etc. I'm out of fixes/guesses. Anybody else carrying one of these with a similar issue?? :bigear:
Jon

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Springfield Micro 1911 .45 Auto Feed Issues

Post by EEllis »

I'm not a big 1911 guy and I'm sure there will be tons of responses to your question but my first would be are you using FMJ ammo? Second what kind of jam? FTL, FTE, people need more info, at least I do. :lol: The 1911 was designed to use round point jacketed military ammo so FTL's are not uncommon with hollow points and can be worked out with a combination of ammo choices and work on the gun. Have you contacted SA about your issue yet?

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

JJMiddleton1 wrote:OK, I'm new here, but I have a general equipment issue. My Springfield Armory .45 seems to be jamming every 3rd shot or so. I've switched ammo (cheapies, to S&B, to hand loads), tried changing clips (back-ups, new clips from my Kimber, Wilson Combats....), and of course maintenance, cleaning, etc. I'm out of fixes/guesses. Anybody else carrying one of these with a similar issue?? :bigear:
Im pretty sure it's junk... Im feeling generous.. so will offer you a 6pack of home brew and a used broom in trade.. I'll even come get it, to save on shipping.. Can leave in an hour... please PM your address I'll be there in a few hours.

Oh... and what ellis said.... more info needed.
Last edited by E.Marquez on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

AEA

Post by AEA »

JJMiddleton1 wrote:OK, I'm new here, but I have a general equipment issue. My Springfield Armory .45 seems to be jamming every 3rd shot or so. I've switched ammo (cheapies, to S&B, to hand loads), tried changing clips (back-ups, new clips from my Kimber, Wilson Combats....), and of course maintenance, cleaning, etc. I'm out of fixes/guesses. Anybody else carrying one of these with a similar issue?? :bigear:
Call Springfield and they will fix it.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

Rob Pincus has a suggestion.....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

How many rounds through the gun? 1911s, like most self-loading handguns, have a break in period that is usually in the 200-300 round area. Use 230 gr FMJ during this period. Use the factory supplied magazine/s. Don't over lube.
Changing magazines and ammo combinations will do nothing to improve performance and will most likely slow down the break in period, while adding to the problem(that may not even exist post break in).
If the gun still has ftf problems post break in contact the manufacturer. Or contact me and I'll buy your broken gun, albeit at a steep discount.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

SlickTX

Post by SlickTX »

Could the problem be that he's using clips instead of magazines? :shock: :shock:
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

When my Colt Officer was new about 25 yrs ago, it wouldn't even feed FMJs. Took it to Teddy Jacobsen and one ramp job later, it hasn't had a malfunction of any kind with any ammo since. I trust it now and I carry it. Lots of so called experts on You Tube.

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

Springfield Armory has excellent customer service. Call them, give them a few details, and they will send you a pre-paid FedEx shipping label to return it for service.

Also, as others have suggested, please note the exact nature of the "jam". Is the spent cartridge still in the chamber (failure to extract), or sticking out of the ejection port sideways (stovepipe)? Does it extract the spent cartridge, but fail to pick-up a new round from the magazine? Does the new round hang-up on the feed ramp and not move fully into the chamber? Does it chamber a new round, but also try to load a second new round behind it as the slide comes forward (double feed)?

Topic author
JJMiddleton1

Post by JJMiddleton1 »

One ramp job later, and it's all good. Thanks for all of the helpful replies that actually had to do with 1911's! Sorry to those who it offended by using the "c" word instead of magazine. I've been competitively shooting 1911's since age 12, and if they are such junk to several of you, why would you drive untold distances to "take it off my hands"?? Anyhow, thanks again, and I will be sure to not post anything in the future without triple checking all terminology and making sure I have some kind of Glock or something similar.
Jon

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

JJMiddleton1 wrote:One ramp job later, and it's all good. Thanks for all of the helpful replies that actually had to do with 1911's! Sorry to those who it offended by using the "c" word instead of magazine. I've been competitively shooting 1911's since age 12, and if they are such junk to several of you, why would you drive untold distances to "take it off my hands"?? Anyhow, thanks again, and I will be sure to not post anything in the future without triple checking all terminology and making sure I have some kind of Glock or something similar.
Great to hear you got it working, and sorry you misunderstood my post to be serious..
As to your "question" I would drive great distances to take it off your hands because I WANT ONE THAT MUCH... :thumbs2:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

So did Springfield redo the ramp or did you take it to someone local?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”