If you had the carry choice

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: If you had the carry choice

Post by flechero »

LTUME1978 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:10 pm Compact Commander (commander length barrel with officer length grip) aluminum frame 1911 in 45 ACP. 7 + 1 in pistol and two extra magazines on the other side that are 8 round magazines. OWB holster. Grip it tightly and it is amazingly accurate. Very comfortable to carry all day.
Need a like button!

I'd carry the same only mine is steel framed.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

flechero wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:30 am
LTUME1978 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:10 pm Compact Commander (commander length barrel with officer length grip) aluminum frame 1911 in 45 ACP. 7 + 1 in pistol and two extra magazines on the other side that are 8 round magazines. OWB holster. Grip it tightly and it is amazingly accurate. Very comfortable to carry all day.
Need a like button!

I'd carry the same only mine is steel framed.
Normally I would agree with you about a like button but the last time a software change happened the site almost went away forever. Maybe just leave well enough alone. :biggrinjester:

flechero

Post by flechero »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:42 am Normally I would agree with you about a like button but the last time a software change happened the site almost went away forever. Maybe just leave well enough alone. :biggrinjester:
And I would have liked that comment! :lol: (but I agree, just keep it running!!)

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Simply:
1) Carry a full size pistol such HK P30/VP9 or similar, FN509, SW Performance Center pistol, etc. You pick the pistol that fits your hand and you are confident that you can shoot it accurately at 10-15yards or so
2) Get a quality OWB Holster for your pistol
3) Go train with your pistol. Attend a course by an LEO instructor who will teach you how to respond to "threats" effectively
4) Practice your shooting skills often.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Beiruty wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:27 am Simply:
1) Carry a full size pistol such HK P30/VP9 or similar, FN509, SW Performance Center pistol, etc. You pick the pistol that fits your hand and you are confident that you can shoot it accurately at 10-15yards or so
2) Get a quality OWB Holster for your pistol
3) Go train with your pistol. Attend a course by an LEO instructor who will teach you how to respond to "threats" effectively
4) Practice your shooting skills often.
:iagree:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Not retired yet but have my own business so I carry what I want. Usually a 1911 of some sort but on occasion I carry my model 69 revolver
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

FN509 Appendix Carry.

And the boss doesn't give a darn! :cool:

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I have my carry choice everyday, everywhere!
Paraordnance P14 14+1 one spare mag rt side
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Shield 9mm is easy to conceal and carry... holds 10+1 with a mag extension and is plenty accurate for a defensive pistol.

Pre-covid it was extremely affordable as well ~$300

I'm usually not far from a Fullsize M&P 9 2.0 and an AR Pistol either.

I still conceal my HK USP 45 fullsize in the winter months. Not as much for summer anymore.

I guess I strongly prefer to conceal...

But open carrying on base during military training was always fun... There's not much in the world like walking around with your LBE full of magazines, M9A1 in a belt holster and AR slung on your shoulder.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

cmgee67 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:54 pm A topic I’ve often thought about is, what gun would I EDC if I didn’t have stay concealed at work? I would most likely carry my Glock 21. But since I cannot I carry the 43 with taran tactical plus 2 extensions.

What would be your choice and your everyday if life allowed it?

Yes I know there are those of you who are retired that get to pick their choice everyday.... rub it in if you want to
I would carry the same pistol I carry now. I carry an S&W M&P9 M2.0 5" 17+1 and two spare 16 round magazines. Also, IFAK and OC.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

oljames3 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:35 am [quote=cmgee67 post_id=<a href="tel:1307094">1307094</a> time=<a href="tel:1619668487">1619668487</a> user_id=19249]
A topic I’ve often thought about is, what gun would I EDC if I didn’t have stay concealed at work? I would most likely carry my Glock 21. But since I cannot I carry the 43 with taran tactical plus 2 extensions.

Yes I know there are those of you who are retired that get to pick their choice everyday.... rub it in if you want to
I would carry the same pistol I carry now. I carry an S&W M&P9 M2.0 5" 17+1 and two spare 16 round magazines. Also, IFAK and OC.
[/quote]

I have enjoyed your comments over the years. You have stayed consistent in your carry and your comment! Would you mind taking a picture of your IFAK? I carry one In The vehicle but would love to see how one carries one on the belt.

Weldonjr2001

Post by Weldonjr2001 »

If I could have carried openly before I retired, I would have carried a cocked and locked 1911, either a Ruger SR1911 or Kimber Classic Custom most of the time. Or my Browning HP .40. I’d probably mix in one of my other full sized pistols every now and then, but I always appreciate that nice, crisp, single-action trigger pull of a 1911 or my Browning HP for my best chance of getting off an accurate first shot.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

cmgee67 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:59 am
oljames3 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:35 am [quote=cmgee67 post_id=<a href="tel:1307094">1307094</a> time=<a href="tel:1619668487">1619668487</a> user_id=19249]
A topic I’ve often thought about is, what gun would I EDC if I didn’t have stay concealed at work? I would most likely carry my Glock 21. But since I cannot I carry the 43 with taran tactical plus 2 extensions.

I have enjoyed your comments over the years. You have stayed consistent in your carry and your comment! Would you mind taking a picture of your IFAK? I carry one In The vehicle but would love to see how one carries one on the belt.
[/quote]
I carry an on-body IFAK and an on-belt trauma kit. On-belt is for the range when I am instruction/assisting. Otherwise, it is clipped to my range bag or in my car.

IFAK rides in a cargo pocket: Olaes bandage (contains extra gauze and occlusive material), SOFTT-W, 4x4 pads, and gloves. North American Rescue and Tactical Medical Solutions both sell pocket kits.

Trauma kit comprises a Condor rip-away pouch, CAT-7, SOFTT-W gen 4, 2 chest seals, Olaes, gauze, 4x4 pads, tape, shears, gloves, triangular bandages, emergency blankets.
https://tacticalgear.com/condor-rip-awa ... /27148/2/1
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’m retired……..but like a lot of retired people, I still work. :mrgreen:

I still carry a G19 about 95% of the time. Most of the other 5%, I carry a G43.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

My primary weapon is a Ruger SR9c. I carry it a 3 o’ clock on both my duty belt, and IWB when off the job.
My BUG (Back Up Gun) is a Ruger LCP .380. That was the little gun I bought when I first decided to carry 8 or 9 years ago. I mean, that’s all I need, right? (This was when I still worked in IT)

Then I joined this forum and “The Pistol Forum.” Lots of LEO on the PF. Actual stories of real world events, links to ballistic gel tests, and the opinions of men who’s lives depend on a reliable firearm with sufficient stopping power lead me to believe that I needed at least 9MM. So I bought the SR9c as a trade off between conceal-ability and power.

But I loved that little LCP. Diminutive it might be, but by gosh it had attitude. LOUD! I suppose the short barrel doesn’t allow the propellent gasses to completely burn before exiting the barrel. I remember being at the range one day when a couple of ladies set up in the lane next to me. They started to put on ear protection until they saw my little LCP. With a condescending grin, they put the head gear back on the table. Then I put a slug downrange. When I looked back, the ladies had shocked looks on their faces as they scrambled to get their ear protection on.

And, for a .380, it kicks. Just not enough mass to absorb the recoil I suppose.

I first carried it as a BUG in a pocket holster on my right hip. Then a discussion on the PF got me to thinking. It’s possible that what ever takes out your primary weapon could also disable you strong hand. Several guys were suggesting that the BUG should be available to the weak hand. Of course, you’re going to need to be proficient with that weapon with weak hand.

OK, It’s an LCP. The sights are an after though. I took it to the range and discovered that at 5 yards the difference between strong hand and weak hand is only slightly noticeable. All rounds within the 9 ring. 6 of 7 inside the 10 ring.

I bought an OWB retention holster for it and carry it at 8 o’ clock on my duty belt on the job. Handle pointing left, available to weak hand. It’s in the pocket holster off the job, but now on my left hip still available to weak hand.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”