SIG P365 SAS

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

SIG P365 SAS

Post by Grayling813 »

Anyone own SIG P365 SAS? Looking for your experience with it both good and bad.

JRG

Re: SIG P365 SAS

Post by JRG »

I do not own one but I have heard that the sighting system really takes some getting used to. As it is different from every other handgun you own, nothing you learn about using this gun transfers to any other gun you have.

I would get the regular sighted P365, but that's just me.

Good luck.
Joe

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

I don't own one either, but had one come through a class. The student used a different gun as his primary carry, but brought it to familiarize with the sights. Personally, I didn't see any utility / benefit in the SAS sights over traditional sights in acquiring a flash sight picture up close, & past 7 yards it took considerable effort to keep rounds on target.

A member of our church (also a firearms instructor) has one, & pretty much echoed that same sentiment.

I love the Sig 365 XL, so this isn't a critique against the platform. I just don't see the utility of the SAS sights.

ETA: Another limiting factor is without a rear sight, the usual one handed reloading / one handed malfunction drills aren't viable.
Last edited by Mike S on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

I've seen those sights and I hate them; other than being snag-free I can't find a thing to like about them.

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

Think the sas sights are cool. I don’t know how well they really work for me but I do like it. I like the 365 platform a lot but the regular 365 grip never felt right even with the extended mag. I got a 365X which is the perfect fit for me. But if I got a deal on a sas I’d still give it a shot.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

maximus2161 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:56 am Think the sas sights are cool. I don’t know how well they really work for me but I do like it.
I thought the same thing until we rented one at the range. In the store with good lighting, you could see the dot really well. In the indoor range, I couldn't see the dot at all. I ended up holding my phone with the flashlight pointing down at the sight over my wife's shoulder while she shot so that she could see the sight. Returned the rental gun and never thought about one since.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

One of the more interesting guns Sig has produced. I got to see them being made and handle one before they were public. I see them as an option for deep concealment, undercover work, point shooting - get off me gun, etc. You're not doing any target shooting with them.

They're also great as a teaching tool. Accuracy with the SAS is all about proper grip and trigger control. Any issues in your grip/trigger will be exaggerated shooting this gun. Sig would get complaints like, "The sights are off, it shoots low and left," or "it shoots low and right." :mrgreen:

I always push customers toward the standard 365, 365XL, 365X before the SAS. You need to know what you're getting into before you cough up $$ for one.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

I ended up buying a 365X. It's a great shooting gun.

JRG

Post by JRG »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:14 am I ended up buying a 365X. It's a great shooting gun.
Wise decision grasshopper!

Enjoy!

Joe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”