NotRPB
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Ruger LCP MAX

Post by NotRPB »

NotRPB wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:16 pm
LDB415 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:16 am
oohrah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 am
LDB415 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:04 am
oohrah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:57 am Have had an LCP as my EDC for some years. It is very comfortable. I love its flatness and size. I belt carry at 4 o'clock, and usually forget it is there even on long drives. I can't see going to a longer wider version just for more bullets.
Actually just longer by only 1/2 inch in grip length to go from 6 to 10 rounds in the magazine. The width of the MAX is actually 0.01" narrower according to Ruger specs. Four extra rounds and an arguably more comfortable and controllable grip seems like a win-win.
I guess I'll have to check it out. Altho, if I need more than a few rounds in a defensive situation, I'm in the wrong firefight.
Yeah, but as they say, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
:iagree:
There's the Jewelry Store owner on the NorthEast side of Houston (Ramon Castillo) ( viewtopic.php?f=23&t=88018&p=1138189&hi ... y#p1138189 ) I have referenced here before who was robbed by 3 men and got shot 6 times while running around to use 3 different "low capacity" (standard capacity?) weapons which kept running dry
And, Prokop lumber on Main in Houston (now closed) was held up by 5 armed men while I was there ... I wouldn't want to have to ration 6 bullets between the 5 armed robbers if it came to that.

I carry a .45 primary with 16 rounds, and a 9mm BUG with 13 to 15 more
IF i was carrying a tiny cartridge small caliber ... I'd want mo cartridges

Examples:

Houston, Texas
Ramon Castillo and Eva, his wife of 30 years, Jewelry Store owners face-off with three armed men who were going to tie them up and shoot them in the head. Four bullets pierced Castillo's body six times because he had to run around getting different "low capacity" guns to fight back.
Castillo's condition was upgraded to fair Wednesday, and he is expected to recover fully. Though "regular" 17-30 round capacity magazines in a "normal" capacity Glock could have benefited Mr. Castillo.

Ramon Castillo and Eva, his wife of 30 years, Jewelry Store owners face-off with three armed men who were going to tie them up and shoot them in the head.

Four bullets pierced Castillo's body four times because he had to run around getting THREE different "low capacity" guns to fight back.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 708222.php

"Castillo, an avid hunter, whipped his hand around the front of his body, pointed the 9 mm Beretta behind him toward the robber and pulled the trigger "

"Castillo then backed up — eyes still forward — grabbed a .380 and fired a few rounds" as he was making his way to a new sawed-off shotgun leaning against a wall that had never been fired.

Shotgun in his hands — and praying the gun wouldn't fail him — Castillo then moved toward the front, trying to see through the fog.

He heard a click from one of the men's pistols, followed by the sound of a bullet cartridge hitting the floor.

Realizing that at least one of the men was out of ammunition, Castillo took aim and shot both men in the face.

"Regular/Standard" capacity magazines in a "normal" capacity Glock could have benefited Mr. Castillo.

Babyface Nelson was shot 17 times before he killed the 2 agents that shot him, then he went home. (Only to die later that evening) (10 bullets didn't stop him)

Read the headline twice, think about it:
Angel Alvarez, hit 23 times in Harlem shootout with cops, held without bail on weapons charges (23 bullets didn't kill him)

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... -survivor/
April 2, 2008, 2:46 pm
Doctor Tells of a 19-Gunshot-Wound Survivor

The surgeon, Dr. Albert Cooper, was attending in the trauma unit of Mary Immaculate Hospital that morning when the call came in announcing two patients with multiple gunshot wounds were en route.

Dr. Cooper, the medical team and hospital staff members convened in the trauma bay and waited, with little idea of what had just transpired. Mr. Bell, Mr. Guzman and Trent Benefield had just left Mr. Bell’s bachelor party at Club Kalua in Jamaica, Queens, when officers investigating the club, believing the men were armed, followed them. In the confrontation that followed, five officers opened fire with 50 shots, killing Mr. Bell and wounding Mr. Benefield and Mr. Guzman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/nyregion/03shot.html
One Bullet Can Kill, but Sometimes 20 Don’t, Survivors Show A man in North Carolina was shot roughly 20 times in 1995 and lived to tell about it. The rapper 50 Cent was shot nine times in 2000 and has since released three albums. And in 2006, Joseph Guzman survived 19 gunshot wounds during the 50-shot fusillade by police detectives that killed Sean Bell.

There's news reports of >> Man survives 21 gunshot wounds before being arrested

-----------
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/nyregion/03shot.html

Rapper 50 Cent was shot nine times in 2000 and has since released three albums

1995-A man in North Carolina was shot 20 times and lived to tell about it

2006, Joseph Guzman survived 19 gunshot wounds during the 50-shot fusillade by police

------------
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 37790.html

Man survives 21 gunshot wounds
------------

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... -survivor/

2008-Doctor Tells of a 19-Gunshot-Wound Survivor
----------
Brady Anti-Gun Employee Colin Goddard was shot 6 times at VIrginia Tech, and is alive and actively campaigning
----------------

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

oohrah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 am
LDB415 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:04 am
oohrah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:57 am Have had an LCP as my EDC for some years. It is very comfortable. I love its flatness and size. I belt carry at 4 o'clock, and usually forget it is there even on long drives. I can't see going to a longer wider version just for more bullets.
Actually just longer by only 1/2 inch in grip length to go from 6 to 10 rounds in the magazine. The width of the MAX is actually 0.01" narrower according to Ruger specs. Four extra rounds and an arguably more comfortable and controllable grip seems like a win-win.
I guess I'll have to check it out. Altho, if I need more than a few rounds in a defensive situation, I'm in the wrong firefight.
Real life gun fight on video. Note the number of misses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPGXrMVLJVM

We must each decide for ourselves which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.

Ref: Rangemaster Firearms Instructor Development Couse Student Manual, Revised Dec 2020, Tom Givens.
As of December 2020, 68 of Tom's students, that he knows of, have been involved in defensive encounters. 65 wins, 0 loses, 3 forfeits. The 3 forfeits were not carrying their guns and died in the encounter. Of these 65 wins, none reloaded during the fight although one shot to slide-lock.

John Correia (Active Self Protection) has viewed over 30,000 real life incidents of violence. He has not seen a civilian reload that affected the outcome of the fight.

This seems to indicate that we will win or lose the fight with the ammunition in our gun when the fight starts.

Correia further says that he is seeing multiple attackers with increasing frequency.

John Daub, https://blog.hsoi.com/2013/07/11/minimu ... ve-pistol/, 7/11/2013.
... Paul Ford (former Austin Police SWAT member). Paul pointed out that in a gunfight you will do about 70% of your worst day at the range. Think about that: take your worst day (under the ideal circumstances of the range), and now make it a lot worse, and that’s how you’ll do.
Let's take a simplified, worst case scenario.

We know that handguns suck at stopping people. Let's say you can consistently hit the high, center chest of the photo-realistic target two out of three times at 5 yards in three seconds from concealment, on your best day on the range. Let's say it's 1 out of three on your worst day at the range. Using Paul Ford's 70%, this indicates you may likely miss all of your shots in your gunfight.

Let's say that through competent training and diligent practice, you manage to consistently get 4 high-center chest hits on your worst day. Using Paul Ford's 70%, that comes out to roughly 3 hits and one miss in your hypothetical gunfight. Let's say that those three hits stop your attacker. But wait, dude has three buddies. That's 4 shots to stop dude, and 12 to stop his buddies.

How many attackers, at your current skill level, can you reasonably expect to handle with the ammunition in your gun.

I've been tested and timed by Karl Rehn, John Daub, Lee Weems, John Corriea, and Tom Givens. I know my worst and best. I compete in USPSA matches with my EDC gear. I have a decent measure of how many attackers I can handle with the 17+1 in my M&P. My sons carry a minimum of 15+1.

I can't, and won't attempt to, tell you how much ammunition is enough for you. I will say that through training, testing, and competing you can get an idea of your capabilities which will inform your decision of how much ammunition is enough for you.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cyphertext »

I purchased the LCP Max on the launch day. I wanted a small, truly pocketable pistol... I've chased the perfect carry pistol for years and I think the LCP Max is it. It is slightly larger than the original LCP, but holds more rounds and has better sights. I also have never met anyone who enjoys shooting their LCP at the range. One or two mags to make sure it functions and then gets put away because it isn't a fun gun to shoot. I put 100 rounds through my LCP Max on my first trip to the range with it with no discomfort. The little bit of extra grip is enough for the gun to be comfortable and not try to jump out of my hand. I feel that you should practice with your intended carry gun and the Max allows me to do just that. I've chased the micro 9mm guns and very few of them are suitable for pocket carry, as they are too heavy in a pocket if they will actually fit in a pocket and allow room for you to draw. I don't always dress in cargo shorts!

My wife recently got her LTC, but she has tennis elbow and arthritis and is unable to rack the slide and handle the recoil on the small 9mm pistols, so we bought her the LCP II in .22lr. Not the best defensive gun, but better than harsh words and small enough that she will carry it. My plans were to work with her on her grip strength and try to move her up to a larger caliber. Well, the Ruger LCP Max is very close to the same size as the .22 LCP. She has not shot the Max yet, but she can work the slide on it and lock it back with the slide stop. She was headed out on a girls trip and took the LCP Max with her. I may have lost my gun.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

cyphertext wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:34 pm My wife recently got her LTC, but she has tennis elbow and arthritis and is unable to rack the slide and handle the recoil on the small 9mm pistols, so we bought her the LCP II in .22lr. Not the best defensive gun, but better than harsh words and small enough that she will carry it. My plans were to work with her on her grip strength and try to move her up to a larger caliber. Well, the Ruger LCP Max is very close to the same size as the .22 LCP. She has not shot the Max yet, but she can work the slide on it and lock it back with the slide stop. She was headed out on a girls trip and took the LCP Max with her. I may have lost my gun.
I highly recommend the S&W M&P EZ in 380 for your wife. The EZ means easy to rack the slide. My granddaughters (13 & 14) loved it. And, you'd only have to stock 380 ACP.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cyphertext »

oohrah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:59 pm
cyphertext wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:34 pm My wife recently got her LTC, but she has tennis elbow and arthritis and is unable to rack the slide and handle the recoil on the small 9mm pistols, so we bought her the LCP II in .22lr. Not the best defensive gun, but better than harsh words and small enough that she will carry it. My plans were to work with her on her grip strength and try to move her up to a larger caliber. Well, the Ruger LCP Max is very close to the same size as the .22 LCP. She has not shot the Max yet, but she can work the slide on it and lock it back with the slide stop. She was headed out on a girls trip and took the LCP Max with her. I may have lost my gun.
I highly recommend the S&W M&P EZ in 380 for your wife. The EZ means easy to rack the slide. My granddaughters (13 & 14) loved it. And, you'd only have to stock 380 ACP.
We looked at that one and it is just too big for carry for her. My wife isn't a gun person (yet) so she isn't willing to dress around a gun and I'm trying to stay small enough to fit in her pockets or IWB without the need for a belt or different size clothing. Physics is really working against me because I need a small gun that is light weight and has minimal recoil.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NotRPB »

cyphertext wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:18 pm
oohrah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:59 pm
We looked at that one and it is just too big for carry for her. My wife isn't a gun person (yet) so she isn't willing to dress around a gun and I'm trying to stay small enough to fit in her pockets or IWB without the need for a belt or different size clothing. Physics is really working against me because I need a small gun that is light weight and has minimal recoil.
I can relate, I've searched for that since the 1980s
Since more weight = less recoil i try to find teensey weensey tiny shirt pocket guns that weigh nothing that I can fill with those bazillion capacity magazines i hear about so the ammo weight will reduce recoil until it runs dry :mrgreen:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”