Need someone to appraise firearms in Austin area

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Don T
Posts in topic: 1

Need someone to appraise firearms in Austin area

Post by Don T »

My wife’s brother in law died unexpectedly about a week ago, and my wife’s sister needs someone to provide estimated values for each of the firearms in his inventory. His holdings include handguns, rifles, and shotguns acquired over the years. He was not a collector, as such; he just liked guns. I don’t know exactly how many he had. At one time he had about 65, but he has sold some recently to thin the herd. (I think he and his wife had a “if you sell two, you can buy one” understanding in recent years.)

I’ve offered to assist her in the process, initially by locating the right folks to help. Ideally, we would like someone who would undertake the valuation project on an hourly basis, and we would probably prefer someone who does not have conflict of interest. The valuations will be used to determine which (if any) firearms to keep, how to divide among any interested family members, and to make sure that fair prices are received when sold or offered for consignment.

I am seeking recommendations for the someone to value the firearms in the Austin area. IF this is something with which you have experience, don’t hesitate to recommend yourself.

Thanks in advance.

G.A. Heath

Re: Need someone to appraise firearms in Austin area

Post by G.A. Heath »

The only one I know to appraise and/or liquidate a firearms collection is Bobby Tyler, located in FrionaTx. He happens to be the same one that handled the Jeff Quinn from gunblast collection. Beruity follows him on facebook as well IIRC. He has been known to appraise and/or buy firearm collections from as far away as Alaska. I would at least get ahold of Bobby because he may know someone in your area if he isn't willing to travel. His website is tylergunworks.com
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

For general non-collector type firearms you could probably get a copy of the Blue Book and do an acceptable job yourself. Also, McBride's has been a fixture in Austin for a very long time. They may know of someone to refer. They also might make an offer to buy them for their used guns department. Their offer plus 2/3 would be a fair price for both seller and buyer if you then sell them yourself. There's something to be said for an all in one and done transaction though.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

mojohn

Post by mojohn »

Cabellas in Buda appraised some for me. But that was over ten years ago.
I don't know if they still sell that service.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

PM sent
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”