Tips on carrying in a swim suit???

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 5

Tips on carrying in a swim suit???

Post by Ruark »

My wife and I periodically enjoy going down to the Port Aransas and hanging out on the beach, with a canopy or umbrella or whatever. Lately, there have been a few new events:

- there have been some incidents of theft. You run back to the hotel for a couple minutes, or take a walk down the beach, and somebody pulls up to your spot in a pickup truck and runs off with everything- canopy, folding chairs, ice chest, everything. Takes them about 30 seconds.

- there is a steadily increasing problem with coyotes. They're really overpopulated and are starving. Many of them are emaciated, with ribs sticking out, etc. The main danger is to people's dogs. The coyotes will run out of the dunes, grab a dog and disappear with it, in the blink of an eye. There have been several cases in the past few weeks of dogs being grabbed or attacked while being walked on a leash, even.

We're taking another trip this September, and with the reduced tourist traffic after school starts, the coyotes will be hungrier than ever. So for the first time, I'll need to carry on the beach. Any tips or anecdotes on doing this? My gun's a Walther P99AS, about 30-35 ounces loaded. I'm really not sure how to carry it while wearing a thin, light swimming suit, especially on a long beach walk. Maybe a string over my shoulder or something......?
-Ruark

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Tips on carrying in a swim suit???

Post by Paladin »

Smartcarry works at the gym too! :cool:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

What I'll likely do is bring a pair of regular khaki shorts. If we go for a walk down the beach, I'll just slip those on and carry IWB as usual. Then take them off when we get back to the tent. Arrrgghhhh, sometimes I miss my little P238.....
-Ruark

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

just saw this today, have not tried them
https://www.ojhty.com/products/buy-2-ge ... ket-shorts

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

Both of those items you guys linked to seems to be a pretty good choice. Also the tactical fanny packs are pretty popular.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

If you are going to try to carry in just the trunks, then I think the biggest problem is going to be the weight of the gun. My lightest "real" gun is a S&W 360 PD with a scandium frame. It weighs just under 11 ounces unloaded. But loaded, it might still be too heavy.

I say "real" because I also have a NAA derringer and a Lifecard that would both be light enough, and are better than nothing.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

As long as you are not getting in and out of the water, I would think a belly band of some kind would work pretty well. Or a fanny pack. I have both and although I haven't been to a beach in a while, I could see either working there. Belly band would (at least mine) work well with my Glock 43 or Ruger LCR. My fanny pack works well up to my full size Glock 17.

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

A belly band is going to be WAY too sweaty and uncomfortable.

Right, the weight of the gun is the main factor. In a pair of swim trunks, it'd be like carrying a brick in your pocket. I need one of those plastic guns, invisible to airport x-ray machines!!!!!!! (-;
-Ruark

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Ruark wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:35 am A belly band is going to be WAY too sweaty and uncomfortable.

Right, the weight of the gun is the main factor. In a pair of swim trunks, it'd be like carrying a brick in your pocket. I need one of those plastic guns, invisible to airport x-ray machines!!!!!!! (-;
Classic!!! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Your holster should be rigid so as to prevent unintended access to the trigger. Putting an unholstered pistol in any pocket is a bad idea.

The PHLster Enigma offers a beltless foundation on which you can attach a real holster. https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/phlster-enigma/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

PlatinumCouch

Post by PlatinumCouch »

Never go anywhere wearing a swimsuit that requires you to be armed. Just sayin.... :lol::
I carry, not because I hate what is in front of me, but because I love what is behind me.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

If one is wearing swim trunks, one must be planning on jumping in the water. If one is planning on jumping in the water, one better be carrying a water pistol. I am not sure why one would try to carry a weapon in a pair of swim trunks.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

I once had a close-protection gig for a few weeks in Cape Town where my cover was as the "boyfriend" of a gay importer who was under threat.

Naturally, his two favorite haunts for relaxation were nightclubs and the infamous Graaf's tidal-pool - so all I'll mention is that a pair of rugby shorts, while terribly unstylish among the Speedo-clad onlookers, sufficed to hide a PPK which was the smallest pistol I owned and a spare mag stuck under a baseball-cap via magnet. With that said, a beach-towel is inconspicuous and can hide a multitude of larger gear... and of course my excuse for not going in the water, should anyone have asked, is that I couldn't swim (of course I can).

E10

Post by E10 »

Andy, I can think of nothing more stylish than a pair of rugby shorts (I wore number 10).
Forget all that concealment stuff - open carry is the only way to go in a swimsuit. Maybe a speargun, a la Lloyd Bridges.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”