Heading to UT, ID, WY & MT...Firearm Thoughts?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Heading to UT, ID, WY & MT...Firearm Thoughts?

Post by PUCKER »

Wife and I are flying in and out of SLC for a little week-long getaway here in a few weeks. Driving up to MT and staying in the Kalispell area for the majority of our trip (been there before, LOVE IT!!), will be doing off-road SxS for at least a day (did that last year, so much fun!), probably hit Glacier Natl Park again, do some hiking, etc....wifey wants to hit "50 States by 50" so we've gotta hustle...hence flying in/out of SLC so we can get her in UT, ID & WY (new places for her)...so, the question....with a preface...looks like I'm "good to go" having my TX LTC for all the States listed (and it appears I don't even need a license for two of the States)...bringing a pistol is a very high possibility for me...mainly for 2-legged predators and the possible bear...haven't had issues before and hopefully will be A-OK this time too. Will definitely have at least one blade on me and most likely bear spray as well. So...the practicality of "what to carry" question arises? Unless I've forgotten about what I own, my larger pistol calibers are .357 Mag (full size snub S&W, Model 60?), .45 ACP (Kimber Compact Aluminum) and of course 9 mm (a few Glocks, of COURSE!!), along with a 5.7x28 Ruger 5-7 (yeah, probably leaving that at home)...I DO NOT own a .44 mag, .454 Casull or .500 S&W....but maybe I should? :biggrinjester:

So...thoughts, input, compliments, complaints or otherwise? Yeah, my pistol-grip 12 ga tactical shotgun with slugs is a thought...but I'm not carrying that everywhere! :biggrinjester:

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Heading to UT, ID, WY & MT...Firearm Thoughts?

Post by RPBrown »

For the possibility of running into a bear, minimum I would carry would be 44 mag. But that’s just me
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PUCKER »

I hear ya about the .44 mag - looks like availability, at least locally (searching my usual sites) is pretty much nil. Got some advice to check out Buffalo Bore ammo, especially in .357 Mag, I ordered a few boxes, that's going to be at least one item to bring! I've got a somewhat decent holster for it, might search for an even better one now (I rarely carry this one). :tiphat:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

You choose the handgun you want. At this link is a discussion of the data compiled by Dean Weingarten. https://concealednation.org/2018/10/han ... y-caliber/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Possible bear??

Yep, I think you might have to go shopping for a larger caliber, you poor guy :cheers2: :anamatedbanana

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”