Changing flash hider on a .223 Wylde?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Changing flash hider on a .223 Wylde?

Post by SigM4 »

With shims it’ll be a trial and error process to get the right amount and thickness of shims. Just keep test fitting till you get there. Of course that’s if you’re using a flash hider that needs to be timed. Usually a true flash hider (only) won’t need timed. Whereas a brake or combo unit will. Any idea what you’re using at this point?

As for taking the old one off you shouldn’t need too much force to remove it. Clean the threads off real well and use a small (I stress small) amount of Rocksett to hold the new muzzle device in place.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by der Teufel »

tomneal wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:49 am When I read the word 'shims', I thought of the kind of shims used to align a door or window. I couldn't visualize how that would work.

Instead, the 'shims' in this case are a set of washers with different thicknesses. You do temporary installs of the flash hider with a 'shim' until you find the one with the correct thickness.

My next question
How much torque will it take to remove the old flash hider?
I have a non-marring vice but I don't have the Brownells tool to protect the rest of the AR.
I'm probably NOT the person to whom you want to listen, but I've done this a couple of times sitting on the edge of my bed holding the rifle between my knees.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by powerboatr »

i never really thought much about flash suppressors , but here is mine on the 308 AR 10.
i choose this one as i do alot of prone shooting and it does not throw as much dirt up on each firing, bad thing is the kick is a bit more pronounced than using one with open sides

you guys have me thinking now to get another one for when i shoot from bench rest or kneeling
Attachments
308 muzzle small 1.jpg
308 muzzle small.jpg
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

der Teufel wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:57 pm
tomneal wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:49 am When I read the word 'shims', I thought of the kind of shims used to align a door or window. I couldn't visualize how that would work.

Instead, the 'shims' in this case are a set of washers with different thicknesses. You do temporary installs of the flash hider with a 'shim' until you find the one with the correct thickness.

My next question
How much torque will it take to remove the old flash hider?
I have a non-marring vice but I don't have the Brownells tool to protect the rest of the AR.
I'm probably NOT the person to whom you want to listen, but I've done this a couple of times sitting on the edge of my bed holding the rifle between my knees.
Torque… some don’t require more than hand tight because they are self-tightening. The Smith Enterprises Vortex model comes to mind.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”