Sig P320 un-commanded discharges

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
FL450
Posts in topic: 1

Sig P320 un-commanded discharges

Post by FL450 »

I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Sig P320 un-commanded discharges

Post by Rafe »

FL450 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:31 pm https://abcnews.go.com/US/detective-sue ... d=79605906

Seen on Good Morning America
“Never, in my wildest dreams, would I have believed that my gun would just have shot me,” she said. “Gun owners don't want to think that their gun can just go off without the trigger being pulled.”
Is this, like, an episode of Punk'd? Have they brought that series back?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott B. »

She's pictured with w/ a full size P320 X or PRO in a Serpa holster with a big paddle. That's a large holster, fairly weighty firearm shoved into a purse with an easy to release retention holster.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Rafe wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:07 pm
FL450 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:31 pm https://abcnews.go.com/US/detective-sue ... d=79605906

Seen on Good Morning America
“Never, in my wildest dreams, would I have believed that my gun would just have shot me,” she said. “Gun owners don't want to think that their gun can just go off without the trigger being pulled.”
Is this, like, an episode of Punk'd? Have they brought that series back?
What she meant to say was, never in her wildest dreams did she believe that she would get to file a lawsuit against a major firearms manufacturer, likely for monetary (and political) gain.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Scott B. wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:28 am with an easy to release retention holster.
With an easy to release retention holster that has been blamed for many "un-commanded discharges" without regard for the brand/model of pistol.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Paladin »

Scott B. wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:28 am She's pictured with w/ a full size P320 X or PRO in a Serpa holster with a big paddle. That's a large holster, fairly weighty firearm shoved into a purse with an easy to release retention holster.
That's 2 big mistakes. The Sig P320 AND the Serpa

Both are no no

I know a guy who dropped his P320 once. Once.

He survived, but got rid of the pistol and bought a Glock (I couldn't talk him into an M&P)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Wait……isn’t the M17 basically just a P320 in kaki underwear? If the gun is so dang dangerous, how did it pass military acceptance trials? Answer: it’s not that dangerous. I remember when it was first released to the commercial market that there was a big kerfuffle because the 320 could be induced to fire with a strong blow to the back of the slide or by being dropped. This was fairly extensively documented by several gun writers/vloggers at the time. Bit after some initial public pressure, Sig addressed the problem and fixed it. In fact, when Sig released an initially-flawed P365, the publicity problem in that case was exacerbated by the previous P320 history. But, they stepped up and fixed that model too. As I recall, by the time the P320 had been entered into the military trials (the specifications of which seemed deliberately skewed in favor of the Sig from the get-go), the safety issues had already been resolved.

The whole issue of the Serpa holster being a known safety hazard aside, is it possible that the detective's pistol was a P320 legacy model that hadn’t yet been fixed by Sig? Something stinks here.

BTW, and just out of curiosity, why did the DoD insist on a level of modularity it doesn’t really use outside of Tier 1 operations, when we KNOW beyond any reasonable doubt that Glock's 19 MHS offering was drop safe? I do realize that price was an issue, and there were other issues like ammo manufacturing etc., but the whole modularity thing seems to have been a red herring to predispose the outcome in Sig's favor. As to price, was Glock way overcharging, or was Sig way undercharging? Historically, on the commercial market, Sigs have always seemed to me to be somewhat more expensive than Glocks. So, either something fishy was going on……OR……maybe Glock didn’t want the contract that badly because the fedgov’t is a PIA. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The biggest problem I see in this article is the writer/editor's insistence on using the term "uncommanded discharge", pushing the notion that guns will just "go off by themselves", without any external input. Even in its initially flawed state, BEFORE Sig had even acknowledged a problem with the initially released pistols, they did NOT just go off by themselves. True, they went off without a trigger pull, but the firing WAS initiated by an external input such as being dropped or struck hard from behind. They didn’t just discharge while they were just sitting there motionless. Whoever has the most ink gets to set the terms, inaccurate though they may be. Thus, modern sporting rifles become "assault rifles" and "weapons of war", and Bei Den Jo the senile old child-sniffer who shows off his leg hair to the kids down at the local pool, becomes Joe Biden the compassionate visionary and military strategy expert.

We are so hosed. THIS is why the Boog could happen.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

For sale...P320

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott B. »

The P320 is a safe gun. The 'drop issue' was corrected in 2017. This detective's gun is a post 2017 gun. From the picture, it's either an X model or more likely a PRO LE model. What was happening in that purse we cannot know. However, it didn't go 'bang' without some sort of external force being applied to the trigger.

My day job is selling guns to officers, mostly Sigs, and can confidently say I've handled and worked on more 320s than anybody in the south Texas region. Next year I'll be renewing my 320 armorer's certification for the 3rd time.

I try not to have biases for or against any brand, but the 320 is as solid a system as any other on the market.

And as much as I hate to argue with TAM (good to see you posting) "the specifications of which seemed deliberately skewed in favor of the Sig from the get-go". I would instead say that Sig built a gun that adhered to the contract specification. Glock, to their detriment, thought the name Glock could let them get away with not submitting a gun to spec.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:56 pm Wait……isn’t the M17 basically just a P320 in kaki underwear? If the gun is so dang dangerous, how did it pass military acceptance trials?
How did Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP) ever pass military acceptance trials?

Why don't military rifles have free-floated barrels?

Big Army does stupid things in Big Ways.

The dirty little secret that anyone who has served knows is that the military is actually one of the worst offenders when it comes to wasting American tax dollars.

No worries, its us paying for all that government waste. :banghead: :banghead:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

Scott B. wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:23 pm This detective's gun is a post 2017 gun. From the picture, it's either an X model or more likely a PRO LE model.
The gun in the pics and video was a replacement, she said. It was issued to her after the gun in question was taken for examination and analysis. However she did also say that her original gun (that she was shot with) was an upgraded version.

The most telling part of the interview was when the reporter and the detective were looking at the gun, holster and purse... she grabs the gun and starts moving it around in the holster and says look, the trigger is mostly covered and the gun only moves around a little bit, how could anything gotten in that area and activated the trigger in the purse? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Annoyed Man

flechero wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:14 am
Scott B. wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:23 pm This detective's gun is a post 2017 gun. From the picture, it's either an X model or more likely a PRO LE model.
The gun in the pics and video was a replacement, she said. It was issued to her after the gun in question was taken for examination and analysis. However she did also say that her original gun (that she was shot with) was an upgraded version.

The most telling part of the interview was when the reporter and the detective were looking at the gun, holster and purse... she grabs the gun and starts moving it around in the holster and says look, the trigger is mostly covered and the gun only moves around a little bit, how could anything gotten in that area and activated the trigger in the purse? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
My reaction to that is that of the gun moves around in the holster, and the trigger is not fully covered, then that holster was not designed for that gun, and she’s responsible for the results.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Paladin wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:47 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:56 pm Wait……isn’t the M17 basically just a P320 in kaki underwear? If the gun is so dang dangerous, how did it pass military acceptance trials?
How did Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP) ever pass military acceptance trials?

The dirty little secret that anyone who has served knows is that the military is actually one of the worst offenders when it comes to wasting American tax dollars.

I agree that as a general institution, our military is as wasteful as it gets—except for maybe the Marine Corps, which gets everyone else's cast-offs and has done more with less throughout its entire history. But to the point with the Sig M17, these pistols have been issued now for a while, and in some quantity. How many of them "just went off" all by their onesies? I’m guessing none, or it would already be being dissected in Congress, with dems blaming it all on "drumpf" because he’s STILL living rent free in their heads.

#TINVOWOOT

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:05 pm
Paladin wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:47 pm

I agree that as a general institution, our military is as wasteful as it gets—except for maybe the Marine Corps, which gets everyone else's cast-offs and has done more with less throughout its entire history. But to the point with the Sig M17, these pistols have been issued now for a while, and in some quantity. How many of them "just went off" all by their onesies? I’m guessing none, or it would already be being dissected in Congress, with dems blaming it all on "drumpf" because he’s STILL living rent free in their heads.
Commanders have an easy fix... just require soldiers to keep them unloaded :anamatedbanana

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

flechero wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:14 am

So, er, could SIG have grounds for a defamation countersuit for the detective knowingly displaying in the media a SIG product that was not the firearm in question? Probably not. But it does my heart good to think about it...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”