Get Ready for More Self-Defense Encounters and Negligent Discharges

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Get Ready for More Self-Defense Encounters and Negligent Discharges

Post by dlh »

September 1st just a couple of days away now for carry without a license.
Expect to see in the press more cases of self-defense encounters and negligent discharges.
I know I am preaching to the choir here so let's do our best to get the word
out for people to learn and follow the rules of firearms safety and self-defense!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Get Ready for More Self-Defense Encounters and Negligent Discharges

Post by Tex1961 »

I think most of us already do. But well worth posting anyway.

My twin boys (23 Years Old). Just got hired on full time RSO's at a new gun range. Even though both are very familiar with firearms and have there LTC's they are already experiencing having to deal with new shooters on the range.

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

It's not just 'experienced' but casual shooters like us, the pros too. I've met a few "pros" that were very dangerous on a shooting range.

Florida correctional officer trainee dies after ‘accidental discharge’ during firearms training
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

dlh wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:12 am September 1st just a couple of days away now for carry without a license.
Expect to see in the press more cases of self-defense encounters and negligent discharges.
out for people to learn and follow the rules of firearms safety and self-defense!
Why? Nothing about the current LTC course or renewals really addresses safe firearms handling. We've had permitless carry for long guns for 150 years and lousy gun handling and accidental discharges wax and wane. I'm much more worried about having a car negligent, than a gun accident. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Although I'm certainly pro gun (duh!), this one has me a little concerned. But I also felt that way about open carry. Guess we will see.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

ScottDLS wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:10 am
dlh wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:12 am September 1st just a couple of days away now for carry without a license.
Why? Nothing about the current LTC course or renewals really addresses safe firearms handling. We've had permitless carry for long guns for 150 years and lousy gun handling and accidental discharges wax and wane. I'm much more worried about having a car negligent, than a gun accident. :shock:
I disagree with you... It is required for LTC that handgun use and safety be taught....

Module 1 - Laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force
Module 2 - Handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of carried handguns
Module 3 - No Violent dispute resolution
Module 4 - Proper storage with emphasis on storage practices that eliminates the possibility of accidental injury to a child.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AF-Odin »

Tex1961 is correct. Handgun Use and Safety is a required module. How much time each instructor spends on it is a variable. My sequence is a little off as I do Handgun Use and Safety right after introductions and spend almost an hour and 15 minutes on this general topic. Then we do the Proficiency Demonstration and following that, jump into the Laws and interaction with LE which get a bit over and hour and 45 minutes. Finishing with non-violent dispute and Safe Storage. Safe storage is discussed tangentially throughout the class.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

I intend no offense to the instructors on this site but the gun handling and gun safety taught in the CHL classes and renewals that I took, were a bad joke. Anyone pinning the hopes of public safety from the carrying public, just on CHL classes, is bound to be disappointed.

Considering we are what, the 20th or 25th state to allow permitless carry? Not a single one has turned into the old west. I predict a few isolated incidents... and then a whole lot a nuthin, just like all the other CC states.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

flechero wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:06 pm I intend no offense to the instructors on this site but the gun handling and gun safety taught in the CHL classes and renewals that I took, were a bad joke. Anyone pinning the hopes of public safety from the carrying public, just on CHL classes, is bound to be disappointed.

Considering we are what, the 20th or 25th state to allow permitless carry? Not a single one has turned into the old west. I predict a few isolated incidents... and then a whole lot a nuthin, just like all the other CC states.
:iagree:

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AF-Odin »

No offense taken, as not all instructors are equal in how we teach and what we emphasize. I agree with your statement about none of the other permit-less carry states turned into the wild west. I was in the room when Dr. John Lott testified before the Texas House Committee on permit-less carry. According to his research on this issue, he stated that in those states which had enacted permit-less carry, there was absolutely no significant statistical increase in negligent discharges or firearms accidents compared to the period before enactment and he had no reason to believe Texas would be any different. We will see how this unfolds, but I do believe that in a year, it will be considered pretty much a non-event.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

No doubt the training is minimal. But considering many of the students I’ve seen it’s night and day compared to what they previously knew. I always encourage those new to firearms to seek out additional training. I’m doing a private lesson this weekend for a student who just got his license. Oh, and no offense taken :cool:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:30 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:10 am
I disagree with you... It is required for LTC that handgun use and safety be taught....

Module 1 - Laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force
Module 2 - Handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of carried handguns
Module 3 - No Violent dispute resolution
Module 4 - Proper storage with emphasis on storage practices that eliminates the possibility of accidental injury to a child.
You are correct. I think those sections were added after I had already taken my original course 25 years ago. I don't recall the several renewals that I did covering them either, but honestly I don't think I had to take a renewal course in the last 10 years. :tiphat:

Anyway, I don't think permitless carry will have much effect at all. I doubt many people outside of LTC's even know it's happening.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Yeah well we have to put up with all the drivel and nonsense from those exercising their First Amendment right to Free Speech without any decent training or a decent education given the state of the public schools and colleges. It is quite obvious what is passed off as news from the media under the guise of Freedom of the Press. How much do you know about the thousands of religions practicing under their First Amendment guarantees, even satanism.

There is a whole lot worse going on under the guarantees of our Constitution besides the Right to Keep and Bear Arms enumerated in the Second Amendment.

Remember Roe vs Wade. In 2017 theere were over 55,000 abortions in Texas.

Yes, there is a whole lot worse things to worry about besides Constitutional Carry.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

allisji

Post by allisji »

permitless carry will be as big or as little as the media choose to present it to be.

If they come out in force to spread fake news and make every shooting a story about permitless carry then they no doubt will stir up the hornet's nest of MDA, Everytown, Bloomberg/Soros protesters etc. It will be a temporary blitz pushing for the same old "common sense gun control" and we have to continue to be diligent to contact the state legislators like we always do until the fever subsides.

My prediction though is that permitless carry will will be met with little to no fanfare and there will be little to no change. Just like the motorist protection act. I don't expect to see any more open carry then we see today, and as far as concealed carry, well if the number of legally armed citizens increased by as much as a couple percent I'd say that's a success but I wouldn't expect that this create a drastic increase to the number of armed and law-abiding citizens in public places. Law abiding gun owners who are inclined to carry a handgun in public have had more than ample opportunity to obtain a Texas Handgun License for the past 25 years or so.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I've said this on another thread but, unless the media suddenly takes an interest, the Texas implementation of Constitutional Carry will be a non-event. There may be a few isolated problems in the first few months following. After six months, it will be business as usual.

I drive an air brake equipped RV. I do it on my class C driver's license. On first review, that looks like an accident waiting to happen. Yet me and literally 1,000s of people like me do exactly that and until recently, my insurance premium on the RV was less than my regular cars. How can it be that, with no additional training, I can get behind the wheel of a 22,000lb vehicle which uses air brakes and not create public mayhem? It is just possible that me and my fellow RVers figured out how to do all of the hard things that come with driving an overlarge vehicle in traffic with idiots who have no idea about the physics of stopping something 100s of times heavier than a car.

I also predict that there will be no more of a run on the purchase of guns by people who are dying to carrying them under the new law. Those that might do that, already own what they might use.

I'm happy to be called out in six month if my predictions are incorrect. I'm not at all worried about that.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”