Revolvers

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Revolvers

Post by RPBrown »

I am more of a 1911 for my EDC, however, on occasion I will wear my S & W 69 in an El Paso Leathery holster with 2 speed loaders. It pretty much is an OC rig but I do cover with a shirt. Talk about printing though :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I shot my instructor qual with a S&W 642, as it is one of the only revolvers I own. I have it for the option of pocket carry (with holster), but don't often do so.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

My new to me and birthday present earlier this month, 3" S&W 686. Ordering a holster for it this weekend and I will carry it occasionally. It's my third revolver but my first "non" snubby. The others being a Taurus Model 85 and a Ruger LCR.

I've shot it a couple of times with some .357 Magnum Defensive Loads (some brand I'm not familiar with as it was the only thing I could find in the caliber). This thing is stout and kicks like a mule. Feels almost as bad as the LCR with Magnum loads. I would have thought that being a bigger frame and barrel would have tamed that some but nope. Hopefully with the weight, it will carry like a steel frame 1911. Looking forward to carrying this occasionally as I walk the dog at the park.

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AndyC1911 »

longtooth wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:49 am Couple A questions. Where did you get those speed loader belt pouches???
Who made the holster????

I like the rig.
Thank you.

TAM put me onto that model; it's a Galco Phoenix 104 (I didn't like the original color so I dyed it darker).

Background - I had been looking for a holster for a while and struggling because my revolver is a Python barrel on a Ruger frame, so I was never convinced that the holsters I was looking at would properly fit. When TAM showed me his, I figured that the open rear of that holster would have the best chance of it fitting, and it did.

The pouches are the Safariland CD-2 Speedloader Holders
Last edited by AndyC1911 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Might be time for a mention on speed-reloading a revolver - here's Ayoob's method which I use:

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Boxerrider »

longtooth wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:41 am
Boxerrider wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:08 pm Model 49 in a home-made tuckable.
Tuckable J Frame 1 - Copy.jpeg
That is a really good lookin holster sir. I like the Tyler Ts too.
Thanks! My "business casual" rig.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC1911 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:52 am
longtooth wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:49 am Couple A questions. Where did you get those speed loader belt pouches???
Who made the holster????

I like the rig.
Thank you.

TAM put me onto that model; it's a Galco Phoenix 104 (I didn't like the original color so I dyed it darker).

Background - I had been looking for a holster for a while and struggling because my revolver is a Python barrel on a Ruger frame, so I was never convinced that the holsters I was looking at would properly fit. When TAM showed me his, I figured that the open rear of that holster would have the best chance of it fitting, and it did.

The pouches are the Safariland CD-2 Speedloader Holders
I bought that holster to fit a 5” N-Frame S&W. I had purchased a 327 TRR8 from Carlson1 and needed a holster for it. I’ve had good results with Galco in the past, and they made one that would fit that revolver specifically, so I ordered it. As it turns out, it also fits my 5” Model 29.

As it happens, it can be worn either strongside or crossdraw.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txhighlander »

AndyC1911 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:57 am Might be time for a mention on speed-reloading a revolver - here's Ayoob's method which I use:

Thank you for posting. I remember that video from the past and brushed up on my technique. :tiphat:
Truth against the world

Weg

Post by Weg »

Just retired my SW .38 Special Airweight for a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal magnum. Absolutely love it, I get a somewhat more powerful cartridge and an extra round . Finding Ammo is a bit of a chore though.

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

I love my plastic semi autos sure. But there is something about a revolver I just love. I recently got a Kimber K6s 3 inch DASA. I love carrying it. It’s one of the nicest revolvers I have ever had.

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txhighlander »

maximus2161 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:50 am I love my plastic semi autos sure. But there is something about a revolver I just love. I recently got a Kimber K6s 3 inch DASA. I love carrying it. It’s one of the nicest revolvers I have ever had.
I had one briefly, the stage point on the double action pull was a wall. It was sent back to Kimber to be fixed and I was informed that was how it was designed. It was then sent to a real gunsmith to be fixed but I have to many years with the old S&W's so I sold it to my Daughter in law and she loves it.
Truth against the world

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I own quite a few but rarely take them out of the safe. That said, I do not feel it puts anyone at a disadvantage anymore than any other gun. I don't want the guy who regularly practices with any gun to shoot at me.

Great to see you, my old friend! :tiphat:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Weg wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:05 pm Just retired my SW .38 Special Airweight for a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal magnum. Absolutely love it, I get a somewhat more powerful cartridge and an extra round . Finding Ammo is a bit of a chore though.
Sounds like a good excuse to reload :thumbs2:

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 6

Post by longtooth »

jbirds1210 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:38 pm I own quite a few but rarely take them out of the safe. That said, I do not feel it puts anyone at a disadvantage anymore than any other gun. I don't want the guy who regularly practices with any gun to shoot at me.

Great to see you, my old friend! :tiphat:
Yes and thank you for that. I saw the thread on the dying forum and am committed to try to revive it in the shooting end. I am not a politician and have absolutely no abilities there. I still have your # in my phone and guess I ought to use it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

JRG

Post by JRG »

I would love to find a 6,7, or 8 shot S&W or Ruger 3" barrel that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Joe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”