Mossberg 88

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Mossberg 88

Post by cmgee67 »

I sent them an email. I wonder if it’s user error? I wouldn’t think so. I know a couple times I was gripping the pump rather tight. I guess it could be possible I was pulling back to hard and caused the bolt to go back slightly thus causing a weak strike? But it was so random that I couldn’t figure out what I was doing if anything. I’m used to an 870 and no matter what I did it would go off with the occasional light strike but that was almost always ammo with it. But 4 times in 10 rounds doesn’t sound like a fluke to me with various ammo brands. I suppose I also might not be used to the mossberg pump travel. Maybe short shucking it? I’m going to go to the range again and see what happens. I did however find out that the Remington 00 buck patterned by far the best out of that barrel.

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dlh »

cmgee67 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:37 pm Well I pickup and 88 security today. I had a couple issues that I am not sure if it’s ammo or the gun. I test fired 4 different flavors of shells. I shot remington 00 buck, federal 00 buck, federal hydra shock slugs, and Winchester 00 buck.
I had 4 failure to fires. All but one fired on the 2nd trigger pull and it took a third. I’ve never experienced this with the same ammo in my 870. My thought is a weak firing pin spring? I like the gun a whole lot but what to make sure it will go bang every time. Any ideas on what I can try? Before firing I took the gun down and cleaned it very well.
I bought a Mossberg 500 a few years back and had the same issue as you have with the 88. I finally sent it back to the factory and when it was returned it worked fine.
My understanding is that the parts are made in Mexico then assembled at the factory in Eagle Pass. May be quality control issues--not sure.
I also have a Mossberg 590 A1---the thing is built like a tank and weighs like one fully-loaded. :)

I recommend you send your 88 back to the factory so they get it right then I think you will enjoy it.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I’m fine with doing so. I will see what they tell me once I hear back. I’m getting my feet wet with this mossberg. Maybe 590a1 in the future. I like the retro model

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I got the gun fixed. Turns out there was some junk in the firing pin channel and once it got cleaned out I had no more issues. I put a a bunch of buck shot, steel shot, and slugs through it with zero problems.

couzin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by couzin »

cyphertext wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:26 am For a home defense shotgun, why not just keep it "cruiser ready"...
Yep - ditto!!
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

dlh wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:10 am I also have a Mossberg 590 A1---the thing is built like a tank and weighs like one fully-loaded. :
I have the 20” barreled, 8+1 round capacity version with ghost ring sights. Yeah, it’s a little heavy, but that soaks up the recoil quite nicely. :mrgreen: It’s the shotgun I keep loaded for social work.

I still have another Mossy, a 930 SPX, that I haven’t even fired and patterned yet because I never got around to it before ammo became scarce. :grumble
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”