Flashlight reviews

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Flashlight reviews

Post by Paladin »

1lumen.com has some great EDC and Tactical flashlight reviews. Its really amazing how powerful some of these lights are.

I was floored looking at the LEP flashlight list. One of these laser flashlights tested in at a distance of 1.97 miles... :shock:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

dlh

Re: Flashlight reviews

Post by dlh »

I carry a Streamlight Pro-Tac every day. Never leave home without it.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I am a facilities manager. I use the Streamlight PolyTac often and it gets dropped and banged around a lot. It throws a good beam and if (when) I lose or break it I’m not out a lot of money. About $45 and 600 lumens. Nice balance between cost, lumens, and durability.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I carry a PowerTac M6 and absolutely love it. I had the PowerTac E10, which is kinda it's predecessor. The E10 has become my bicycle headlight and the M6 is my EDC. Either one, when running on my bicycle is as bright as a vehicle headlight.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

JRG

Post by JRG »

I carry the Olight Mini Warrior. It has 1000 lumens and is my EDC flashlight. It has the clip on magnetic charging system. It is great!

Joe
Last edited by JRG on Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I carry the streamlight micro stream USB rechargeable 250 lumen light. Super small has two modes high and low with the momentary on function or click it and it stays on. Super durable. This is my 3rd micro stream. I used to carry the stylus pro and had a couple of those but they were just not bright enough at 90 lumens. I love the pocket clip on the micro stream because it is bidirectional so you can clip it to your hat and use it as a head light if need be. I use my light everyday more than my pocket knife. You never really know how useful it is until you have one with you. I went with the model that uses the rechargeable battery because i didn’t liked changing out the single AAA battery every month.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

troglodyte wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:56 pm I am a facilities manager. I use the Streamlight PolyTac often and it gets dropped and banged around a lot. It throws a good beam and if (when) I lose or break it I’m not out a lot of money. About $45 and 600 lumens. Nice balance between cost, lumens, and durability.
I also carry the Streamlight PolyTac X USB; 600 lumens, 11485 candela. I bought on for my wife and also for my oldest son. https://www.streamlight.com/products/de ... /polytac-x
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I carry the Fenix PD36R - 1000 lumens with selectable brightness levels and strobe.

It's a bit larger in diameter due to the battery size, but it's worth it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

MAFWG

Post by MAFWG »

For everyday use, I carry a Nitecore TINI2 (https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tini2). It's 500 lumens max, 1 lumen min, with 5 brightness steps. It's rechargeable with a built-in battery, has a lockout mode, and is designed for pocket keyring carry. $40.

For work (I spend a LOT of time in buildings with no power), I carry a Nitecore TM9K (https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tm9k) in a belt holster. 9500 lumens max, with multiple steps down from that. It has a nice floody beam which works well with taking photos (doesn't produce hot spots). It also lasts fairly long and is easy to recharge via USB-C. It's fairly expensive ($120 at batteryjunction.com). But be careful about accidentally turning it on in the holster as it can get hot enough to melt the fabric. Ask me how I know...
"My days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle."

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Nitecore P30 1000 Lumens 676 Yards Red and Green Rechargeable Hunting Light with Lumentac Rifle Mounting Kit for Hog Coyote and Varmint Hunting

this what we use, its very bright and runs a long time at full power. it has strobe features and SOS plus red and green lenses
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

I have a SureFire EDCL2-T and a Streamlight 88065 Pro Tac HL-X.

Personally for EDC and duty use I prefer the EDCL2-T as it is a twist for permanent on low then high with the same movement, and push light for low-lumen and push hard for high lumen. This is a gunfighting light.

The downside is that it gets fairly warm, and the twist on can be annoying if you are constantly on-off while needing both hands.

The Pro Tac HL-X is good, with a bit more candela, but I would not carry it for duty unless I have to as momentary on-off can change from high to low to flashing without meaning too change modes. Its much more utilitarian.

There are several good courses on night shooting and tach but to oversimplify things, you don't want a lock-on mode on your light when your brain goes into lizard mode because you'll forget to turn it off and constantly advertise your position.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”