Question to FFL holders

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Question to FFL holders

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I just sold a firearm to a feller on gun broker who lives 25 miles from me in Rockwall Texas. Seeing as how person to person requires no FFL, could I not just offer to meet up with this feller and trade the gun for the cash?

extremist
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question to FFL holders

Post by extremist »

Don't have to be an FFL to answer that - Yes you can.
To protect yourself, you could make receipt and at least ask to see his TEXAS DRIVERS LICENSE, and sign the receipt.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

extremist wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:04 pm Don't have to be an FFL to answer that - Yes you can.
To protect yourself, you could make receipt and at least ask to see his TEXAS DRIVERS LICENSE, and sign the receipt.
That is what I was thinking. I have sold several firearms person to person with no FFL locally. I was considering offering to just meet up with this guy half way and trade gun for cash. Gun Broker already added their fees but it would save him the shipping costs, his FFL cost and me the wait time to get paid. It just sold so I have not yet offered it to him but it sure would be easier than going through my FFL to ship and waiting for money orders and what not.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:18 pm
extremist wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:04 pm Don't have to be an FFL to answer that - Yes you can.
That is what I was thinking. I have sold several firearms person to person with no FFL locally. I was considering offering to just meet up with this guy half way and trade gun for cash. Gun Broker already added their fees but it would save him the shipping costs, his FFL cost and me the wait time to get paid. It just sold so I have not yet offered it to him but it sure would be easier than going through my FFL to ship and waiting for money orders and what not.
Just meet in a safe area and be aware, so you will not be robbed.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

eyedoc wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:01 pm
That is always a for real possibility. This guy has 23 buys on GB so he is likely legit but I am always on guard when I meet anyone to sell them a gun. That is a huge reason I only list them on this forum or GB.

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxRVer »

Most police stations have a parking area for making exchanges. I wonder how they would feel about a gun buy.
Charlie

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

TxRVer wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:18 pm
Most police stations have a parking area for making exchanges. I wonder how they would feel about a gun buy.
It seems like everybody likes to meet in Academy parking lots. I hate to say this but I would almost worry about the cops spotting the trade off and making more out of it than needed. I always check the DL. I don't require a copy of it or even a bill of sale. Checking DL is well within the guidelines. With this GB deal, GB has already made out an invoice with all his and my info all over it. We are basically just cutting out the postal fees and his FFL fees. I have sold several off this forum and only ask to see their DL/LTC to confirm residence in Texas.

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxRVer »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:44 pm

It seems like everybody likes to meet in Academy parking lots. I hate to say this but I would almost worry about the cops spotting the trade off and making more out of it than needed. I always check the DL. I don't require a copy of it or even a bill of sale. Checking DL is well within the guidelines. With this GB deal, GB has already made out an invoice with all his and my info all over it. We are basically just cutting out the postal fees and his FFL fees. I have sold several off this forum and only ask to see their DL/LTC to confirm residence in Texas.
I once met one of the forum members in the side parking lot of Brookshire's. The whole time I felt like people were watching us.
Charlie

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I always obtain/fill out a bill of sale, if buying or selling.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”