Posts in topic: 4

Can anyone tell me about this ammo

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Re: Can anyone tell me about this ammo

I have had this for about 37 years. I opened the other tin. It is lead sealed and inside it is packaged in 20 round lots with brown paper wrapped around each 20 and tied with white string. The writing appears Chinese. The guy I purchased it from said it was Chinese surplus from Vietnam. Can anyone confirm this. Maybe some of you Vietnam veterans? It is 7.62x39 ammo. It has a slight oder to it. Maybe nitro or something?

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:14 am I have had this for about 37 years. I opened the other tin. It is lead sealed and inside it is packaged in 20 round lots with brown paper wrapped around each 20 and tied with white string. The writing appears Chinese. The guy I purchased it from said it was Chinese surplus from Vietnam. Can anyone confirm this. Maybe some of you Vietnam veterans? It is 7.62x39 ammo. It has a slight oder to it. Maybe nitro or something?
How much of that have you fired? The only reason I ask is that there was fake ammo created by the US designed to blow up the enemy's firearms that would be left behind at battle sites after US forces cleared out. Maybe it's an "urban legend", but I've read that in accounts from personnel who were actually over there.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:29 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:14 am I have had this for about 37 years. I opened the other tin. It is lead sealed and inside it is packaged in 20 round lots with brown paper wrapped around each 20 and tied with white string. The writing appears Chinese. The guy I purchased it from said it was Chinese surplus from Vietnam. Can anyone confirm this. Maybe some of you Vietnam veterans? It is 7.62x39 ammo. It has a slight oder to it. Maybe nitro or something?
How much of that have you fired? The only reason I ask is that there was fake ammo created by the US designed to blow up the enemy's firearms that would be left behind at battle sites after US forces cleared out. Maybe it's an "urban legend", but I've read that in accounts from personnel who were actually over there.
ditto
my veitnam buddy that flew as a helo gunner ..told me the same thing
followed by if it smells odd and is really chinese ammo to soak it in water and dont take a risk of firing it.

i would use it as a target way down range
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

I honestly can't remember if I ever fired any of it. I opened one can (many years ago) and dumped it in a 50 cal ammo can. Anyone wan't to buy it? 100 bux and I will deliver. Hahaha

I went googling and found this story. Interesting. https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gu ... e-vietnam/

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Wow! That was a really good read. Thank you for sharing
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

TreyHouston wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:27 pm Wow! That was a really good read. Thank you for sharing
I had never heard that story before. I'm thinking maybe I don't want to shoot any of this stuff. If someone living out in the country wants to blow it up with some Tannerite, it's yours! Hahaha

couzin

Post by couzin »

[quote=K.Mooneyham post_id=1316722 time= ...there was fake ammo created by the US designed to blow up the enemy's firearms that would be left behind at battle sites after US forces cleared out. Maybe it's an "urban legend"...
[/quote]

Not a legend, the 7.62 and 82mm mortar rounds were sabotaged. Only one or two rounds would be altered, the rest were left intact.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”