Question about Threadlocking compounds

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Question about Threadlocking compounds

Post by puma guy »

I had a Williams 5D Peep sight installed and received no instruction on making the W&E adjustments, so I called Williams directly. Very nice people and very helpful. The gentleman I spoke with recommended using a thread locker called Vibra-Tite VC3. Have any of you used it? In reading about Vibra-Tite it differs from Loc-tite Blue. You apply it to the threads and let it dry. You can make up to 5 adjustments without losing the locking constituency.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question about Threadlocking compounds

Post by carlson1 »

I use a lot of thr blue and red Loc-Tite. I have never used Vibra-Tite, but it sounds great if it works. I know that is the question.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Sounds like one of those similar to what comes on diy assembly furniture... think of the blue thread "paint" that is already there and dried... provides an interference fit vs a glueing effect.

I don't know that brand but like the 5 adjustments part!

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I’ve been using Vibra-Tite VC3 for some time now. Mostly in applications where I might want to remove and reinstall screws with some regularity. The screws that attach the handguards on my Aero uppers for instance. Also use it on holster tension screws. It’s enough to hold them and keep the screws from moving due to vibration, but without the true “locking” qualities of Locktite. Comes out of the tube looking more like a gel. I’ve heard rumor this is the same manufacturer that produces the yellow pre-installed compound on Magpul’s hardware, though I have nothing to back up that claim.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

puma guy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:02 pm I had a Williams 5D Peep sight installed and received no instruction on making the W&E adjustments, so I called Williams directly. Very nice people and very helpful. The gentleman I spoke with recommended using a thread locker called Vibra-Tite VC3. Have any of you used it? In reading about Vibra-Tite it differs from Loc-tite Blue. You apply it to the threads and let it dry. You can make up to 5 adjustments without losing the locking constituency.
FWIW, CHPWS optic mounts includes Vibra-Tite for use with their mounting screws.

My only knock on it is the drying time. That's only because I have customers who sometimes expect me to mount the optic while they wait.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Scott B. wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:57 am
puma guy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:02 pm I had a Williams 5D Peep sight installed and received no instruction on making the W&E adjustments, so I called Williams directly. Very nice people and very helpful. The gentleman I spoke with recommended using a thread locker called Vibra-Tite VC3. Have any of you used it? In reading about Vibra-Tite it differs from Loc-tite Blue. You apply it to the threads and let it dry. You can make up to 5 adjustments without losing the locking constituency.
FWIW, CHPWS optic mounts includes Vibra-Tite for use with their mounting screws.

My only knock on it is the drying time. That's only because I have customers who sometimes expect me to mount the optic while they wait.
I saw a video from an AR parts manufacturer that included it in their kit for the barrel nut. They said it was ok to use on other threaded parts as well, but were adamant about using it on the barrel nut. I wish could find the you tube video.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

puma guy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:28 pm I saw a video from an AR parts manufacturer that included it in their kit for the barrel nut. They said it was ok to use on other threaded parts as well, but were adamant about using it on the barrel nut. I wish could find the you tube video.
Was it this short one from ODINWorks?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Rafe wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:30 pm
puma guy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:28 pm I saw a video from an AR parts manufacturer that included it in their kit for the barrel nut. They said it was ok to use on other threaded parts as well, but were adamant about using it on the barrel nut. I wish could find the you tube video.
Was it this short one from ODINWorks?
:thumbs2: That's the one. I found a couple of tests for Vibra-Tite medium and heavy thread locker and they did well against all the well known brands, especially the medium duty. The Vibra-tite VC3 is a different formula that has better protection for vibration than their other two varieties per their information; also the VC3 should be dry before inserting and tightening the screw.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”