Taurus G2c upgrades

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

LDB415
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Taurus G2c upgrades

Post by LDB415 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:38 am
LDB415 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:34 am Very interesting. Looking forward to the pictures.
I'd like to post a couple, but again, not sure where to upload them to first. This forum doesn't have a way to directly load them that I know of, they have to be hosted on some other site.
You can add attachments here. Click "post reply" and below the box to type your reply click the "attachments" tab and put them in.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 11

Post by K.Mooneyham »

(After all the years I've been on this forum, I really don't know how I could have missed that there was a way to directly upload pictures. So, thanks for the replies.)

Here are a couple with the new trigger installed. I'm sorry I didn't take any of the process, but it was late and I was just trying to get it done. As you can see, the new trigger eliminates the "trigger safety lever" of the original. However, it made the feel much smoother, and from what I gather reading on other forums, eliminated a potential break point as the "lever" has broken on some folks here and there. The trigger I ordered and installed is KeepTinkering "Standard" model, there are others with different profiles to them (flat, more curved, etc).
Attachments
G2C stock photo.jpg
20220326_194759.jpg
20220326_194658.jpg

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Well, last part to be replaced in this pistol will be the guide rod/recoil spring assembly. This stainless steel unit from Lakeline LLC (same company that made the replacement striker guide and sights) was a direct swap out for the original polymer guide rod/recoil spring assembly. The company also sells replacement spring sets and the assembly can be taken apart to swap out the springs if you were to wear them out. I'm going to go shoot this thing in a while, and I will add an update to this post with any observations versus the original guide rod/recoil spring assembly.

EDITED TO ADD:

So, I put a 50 round box of S&B 115 grain FMJ through the pistol as a function test. I slow fired the first full 12 round magazine. I then more rapidly fired 10 rounds in each of the other two factory magazines. With the three factory magazines, zero failures to feed or extract. I then used the 18 round Sig 9mm (for P226) that fits in the pistol. Out of the 18 rounds, I had two failures to feed, zero failures to eject. The magazine has quite a bit of "wobble" in the well, but it's okay for a range-only mag. I did NOT notice the pistol being any "softer" shooting or other subjective observations of that nature. However, being 9mm and of a reasonable size for a smaller carry gun, the recoil isn't anything serious anyway, just a bit "snappy" upwards at most. I did manage 42 out of 50 hits across my four steel plates at ~10 yards. I want to get some 124 grain FMJ to run through it, and to run a bit of +P through, as well. I'll make another update once I've done that.
Attachments
20220402_124230.jpg
20220402_124220.jpg

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AndyC1911 »

Nice work. Like you, I figure the mis-feeds are due to the wobbly mag and not the pistol - I most commonly see that in Inch FALs when guys use the cheaper metric mags (smaller lug that allows a wobble).

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Have you kept a list of each upgrade and its cost somewhere in a tabular form?

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

In no particular order, here is the list of upgrades and my cost per each item, inc. tax/shipping, as well as what I paid for the pistol and holster.

Stainless Steel Guide Rod/Recoil Assembly --- Lakeline LLC --- $28.94

SA/DA Standard Trigger with spring --- Keep Tinkering --- $35.00

Stainless Steel Striker Guide --- Lakeline LLC --- $18.94

3 Dot Metal Sight Set --- Lakeline LLC --- $35.98

Grand total for the upgrades --- $118.86

Original price of the pistol (inc. tax) --- Academy --- $325.00

MiniScabbard OWB Holster --- DeSantis (ebay purchase) --- $46.96

Total cost --- $490.82

Just for a comparison, that's still about $160 less than a Glock 26 Gen 5 without a holster (if purchased at Academy).

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

$445 (rounded) for the pistol with all those quality upgrades is quite good. You'd be hard pressed to find an equal, off the shelf, for that I think. And if you factor in how much the fun and education of putting it all together is worth to you it is an even better value.

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

LDB415 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:04 pm $445 (rounded) for the pistol with all those quality upgrades is quite good. You'd be hard pressed to find an equal, off the shelf, for that I think. And if you factor in how much the fun and education of putting it all together is worth to you it is an even better value.
Thanks, I certainly learned a couple of things doing this work. Now I just need to get some more 9mm and put in more work with it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”