Federal HST 9mm ammo / not seated?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Federal HST 9mm ammo / not seated?

Post by parabelum »

I just got a box of Federal HST 147gr and noticed that 47 out 50 rds have what appears to be a small (a millimeter or less) gap between the case and the round. Is this normal? I’ve been using this load for years and have never noticed this until this box. I’ll try to snap some pics later when I get home.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Federal HST 9mm ammo / not seated?

Post by flechero »

parabelum wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:04 am I just got a box of Federal HST 147gr and noticed that 47 out 50 rds have what appears to be a small (a millimeter or less) gap between the case and the round. Is this normal? I’ve been using this load for years and have never noticed this until this box. I’ll try to snap some pics later when I get home.
:shock: That's an absolute "call Federal for a return label." 1mm is .039" If they are even 1/2 that far off they won't chamber.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Ok, maybe I exaggerated the millimeter part, but here is a picture. On the left is what I have known Federal 147gr HST round to be like, and on the right is the “new” box I bought here recently.
Upon closer inspection though, it seems like the round on the right has almost silicone-like material wrapped around it, almost the entire box is like this. I did notice that some is more red than blue in appearance. The “gap” I thought was there might just be this material.
I’m thinking that seating is not an issue now since both are exactly the same in case length etc. but clearly, I am not a loading expert.
Speaking of loading, these rounds do cycle fine so…
Just weird observation.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

I don't have any 147gr HSTs, but my 124gr HSTs have the same thing you're seeing on yours. But, when I checked the box of 124gr +P HSTs, they didn't have it.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I did some more looking into this and it looks like Federal made this change relatively recently (I cannot find the dates but I know from the searches and my personal experience buying this load that it has to be after 2019)…seems to be an enhancement with the additional core lock. ->shrug<-

Newer one is on the right.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”