Winchester .22LR ammunition problem

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 7

Winchester .22LR ammunition problem

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I bought a Ruger Wrangler budget-priced .22LR single action revolver this weekend, and despite the heat, wanted to put a few cylinders through it just as a function check.

I found out that Winchester branded .22LR ammo is WAY out of spec compared to pretty much every other brand that I have. There were multiple rounds of Super-X that refused to chamber, stopping at the case mouth. There were also multiple rounds of Winchester Western that did the same. Other brands tried were Remington, Aguila, Armscor, CCI, Federal, as well as Sellier and Bellot. All the others chambered easily, or with just the tiniest bit of push to seat them.

I also tried the Winchester in two other firearms, a Ruger SR22 and a Henry Lever Action, manually dropping/pushing the rounds into the chamber on both firearms. The Winchester did chamber in those firearms, but was a much more snug fit versus any of the others.

I looked around on the Net and found other folks making the same complaints about Ruger Wrangler and Single-Sixes in regards to Winchester ammunition. Have any of y'all seen this before? If you have, please share any info you may have on the subject. Thanks.

(I'll make a post about the Wrangler once I've put a reasonable amount of ammo through it.)

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Re: Winchester .22LR ammunition problem

Post by K.Mooneyham »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:37 am I bought a Ruger Wrangler budget-priced .22LR single action revolver this weekend, and despite the heat, wanted to put a few cylinders through it just as a function check.

I found out that Winchester branded .22LR ammo is WAY out of spec compared to pretty much every other brand that I have. There were multiple rounds of Super-X that refused to chamber, stopping at the case mouth. There were also multiple rounds of Winchester Western that did the same. Other brands tried were Remington, Aguila, Armscor, CCI, Federal, as well as Sellier and Bellot. All the others chambered easily, or with just the tiniest bit of push to seat them.

I also tried the Winchester in two other firearms, a Ruger SR22 and a Henry Lever Action, manually dropping/pushing the rounds into the chamber on both firearms. The Winchester did chamber in those firearms, but was a much more snug fit versus any of the others.

I looked around on the Net and found other folks making the same complaints about Ruger Wrangler and Single-Sixes in regards to Winchester ammunition. Have any of y'all seen this before? If you have, please share any info you may have on the subject. Thanks.

(I'll make a post about the Wrangler once I've put a reasonable amount of ammo through it.)
UPDATED TO ADD: contacted Ruger about it, they asked for pictures and gave me a link to post them. I'll update again if Ruger gets back to me.

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Ruger Customer Service wanted pictures to show the problem. Here are a couple with the Winchester ammo that won't drop into the cylinder.
Attachments
20220518_104217.jpg
20220518_104206.jpg

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

Just a suggestion. Run up to your LGS with the ammunition and see if it will load into another cylinder.

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Tex1961 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:14 am Just a suggestion. Run up to your LGS with the ammunition and see if it will load into another cylinder.
Thanks for the suggestion, hadn't thought of that.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

I found info on several forums going back as far as 2013 that this has been a problem with Winchester .22 ammunition. I have a lot of .22 ammo, maybe a couple of thousand Winchester, and have shot some it in several rifles and handguns, but haven't shot my Ruger Single Sixes and Bearcats in many years so I'll have to try some of the Winchester in the chambers.

Edited for additional information
Tex1961 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:14 am Just a suggestion. Run up to your LGS with the ammunition and see if it will load into another cylinder.
Interestingly I found the same problem when I checked the Winchester Super X ammo I have, I.E. Plinking/Small game 1240fps Bx/50 and Power Point 1255 fps Bx/100 in several handguns. I also checked with some CCI Mini-Mags. Results were: Ruger Super Single Six and Ruger Bearcat I had to push the Winchester rounds into the cylinders. Not a lot of force, but they wouldn't seat with gravity. I also checked a couple of S&W's, A flat latch Model 43 Airweight 22/32 Kit Gun and a Model 17-3. The Kit gun was the worst fit. I had to force them in the last 1/8-3/16" and when I tried to eject them I had to set the ejection rod on a hard surface a push very hard to extract the cartridges. The Model 17 also required some force to seat rounds some; some going only halfway in but I could push them out with just my hand. The CCI rounds gravity fed into all the chambers of the Rugers and S&W's and most would also fall out when I was unloading. . I couldn't find my micrometer to check the cases. I know that the last time I had all these revolvers at the range, probably 6-7 years ago I was using CCI ammo exclusively.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

puma guy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:53 pm I found info on several forums going back as far as 2013 that this has been a problem with Winchester .22 ammunition. I have a lot of .22 ammo, maybe a couple of thousand Winchester, and have shot some it in several rifles and handguns, but haven't shot my Ruger Single Sixes and Bearcats in many years so I'll have to try some of the Winchester in the chambers.

Interestingly I found the same problem when I checked the Winchester Super X ammo I have, I.E. Plinking/Small game 1240fps Bx/50 and Power Point 1255 fps Bx/100 in several handguns. I also checked with some CCI Mini-Mags. Results were: Ruger Super Single Six and Ruger Bearcat I had to push the Winchester rounds into the cylinders. Not a lot of force, but they wouldn't seat with gravity. I also checked a couple of S&W's, A flat latch Model 43 Airweight 22/32 Kit Gun and a Model 17-3. The Kit gun was the worst fit. I had to force them in the last 1/8-3/16" and when I tried to eject them I had to set the ejection rod on a hard surface a push very hard to extract the cartridges. The Model 17 also required some force to seat rounds some; some going only halfway in but I could push them out with just my hand. The CCI rounds gravity fed into all the chambers of the Rugers and S&W's and most would also fall out when I was unloading. . I couldn't find my micrometer to check the cases. I know that the last time I had all these revolvers at the range, probably 6-7 years ago I was using CCI ammo exclusively.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Makes me feel like the Wrangler is fine, it's really just that Winchester ammo, even though it does fit in other firearms okay.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:10 pm
puma guy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:53 pm I found info on several forums going back as far as 2013 that this has been a problem with Winchester .22 ammunition. I have a lot of .22 ammo, maybe a couple of thousand Winchester, and have shot some it in several rifles and handguns, but haven't shot my Ruger Single Sixes and Bearcats in many years so I'll have to try some of the Winchester in the chambers.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Makes me feel like the Wrangler is fine, it's really just that Winchester ammo, even though it does fit in other firearms okay.
I'm trying to locate some old Winchester .22 LR I have from the 1960's to check it against the current stuff. If I find my micrometer I'll measure the case diameters from rim to mouth.

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

puma guy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:27 pm

I'm trying to locate some old Winchester .22 LR I have from the 1960's to check it against the current stuff. If I find my micrometer I'll measure the case diameters from rim to mouth.
That would be interesting to know. I certainly don't have any ammo anywhere near that old.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:03 pm
puma guy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:27 pm

That would be interesting to know. I certainly don't have any ammo anywhere near that old.
I couldn't find my electronic caliper, so I used an old Starrett that doesn't get precise enough to measure in thousandths. Guess I'll make a trip to Harbor Freight if I can't find my electronic caliper. However, when I measured and locked the caliper on the old Winchester ammo both at the rim and mouth the newer Winchester ammunition wouldn't come close to passing through. I had some old Remington-Peters from the same era and it as well as the CCI Mini-mags fell right through. The new Winchester has a slightly larger diameter nearer the rim than at the mouth so it's obviously tapered a bit. I tried several other brands of .22 LR, Federal American eagle, Champion and Auto-Match, Remington Thunderbolt, Aguilla and some Winchester Western Wildcat and they all passed through the caliper set for the New Winchester ammo diameter The Wildcat ammo is pretty old too because it was made when Olin owned them. The CCI has the smallest diameter and the brand listed were tight with the Thunderbolt being the tightest with the caliper set for CCI.

Here's a link from Rimfire Central post back in 2015 about Winchester .22 LR and a Ruger Single -Six.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/ ... ix.603001/

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

UPDATE:

Ruger Customer Service looked at the pictures I sent, and are shipping me a new cylinder. I'll add to this particular reply when I receive it and test it out.

EDITED TO ADD:

I received the new cylinder from Ruger today, 25 May 2022. Happy to report that all ammo tried fit into each chamber just fine, though the Winchester was a slightly tighter fit than the rest. Still, it only took the littlest push to seat them fully, even the SuperX cartridges that wouldn't go in past the bullet in the other cylinder. I ran 12 rounds through it just to function check it, all fired just fine. Ruger customer service has come through again.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”