Out of Spec Duty Round

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Out of Spec Duty Round

Post by Excaliber »

In the middle of a range qualification, I dropped the slide on a new magazine and it failed to go into battery by about 3/8". I hit the back of the slide to drive it home, but no joy - it didn't budge. I gave it a really good rap and it still didn't budge. The only option left was to eject the round, and it took a lot of force to open the slide.

I recovered the round from the ground and tried dropping it into the open chamber - it only went part way in. It was obviously out of spec - by a lot! Ammo was Winchester Ranger 9MM hollowpoint, which is usually primo stuff. Although I've seen this before with cheap ammo, this is the first time I encountered it with top of the line ammo.

My new personal policy is to run every round that will go into a duty or self defense gun for carry through a test block to make certain that it will feed. The unit I picked up to do this with is the Lyman Handgun Ammo Checker that is bored to check 8 different calibers in a single block.

I hope this experience may save someone else from having it happen at a much less convenient time.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”