How Many Are Training In The Heat

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

How Many Are Training In The Heat

Post by carlson1 »

I have only been to the indoor range a few times. Because of my health I cannot tolerate the heat nor do I really care to. A few weeks back I suffered heat exhaustion and was in Baylor overnight. That was just from going and visiting shut ins on a Saturday. I can’t imagine being out in this heat for hours on end.

I had an electrician at my house on Saturday for work that needed done in our electrical panel. If I would have not been standing there I would not have believed this. He had his tools in a bag strapped to kind of a small dolly. He reached down to pull out a pair of pliers that had rubber handles and they literally melted off into his hand. The rubber stuck to his hand and burned him pretty bad.

I don’t remember the heat much as a child, but I am well aware if it now. I am sure like many of you we didn’t know what A/C was.

I was just wondering how many of you were shooting outdoors? Do you find oil or grease works better in this kind of heat?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How Many Are Training In The Heat

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:02 am I have only been to the indoor range a few times. Because of my health I cannot tolerate the heat nor do I really care to. A few weeks back I suffered heat exhaustion and was in Baylor overnight. That was just from going and visiting shut ins on a Saturday. I can’t imagine being out in this heat for hours on end.

I had an electrician at my house on Saturday for work that needed done in our electrical panel. If I would have not been standing there I would not have believed this. He had his tools in a bag strapped to kind of a small dolly. He reached down to pull out a pair of pliers that had rubber handles and they literally melted off into his hand. The rubber stuck to his hand and burned him pretty bad.

I don’t remember the heat much as a child, but I am well aware if it now. I am sure like many of you we didn’t know what A/C was.

I was just wondering how many of you were shooting outdoors? Do you find oil or grease works better in this kind of heat?
I think much of it has to do with simply being acclimated to it. Working in the HVAC business most of my life has me somewhat acclimated to these temperatures. When we get to a customers home, it is never nice and cool...LOL. People rarely pay for us to come to a home that has great cooling. We usually work in attics here in our area. We are picking up temps as high as 140 degrees in many of these attics. My age is catching up to me. I can tell that my body wants to give up much faster than when I was a young man. We have had guys go down with heat stroke over the years and it is almost always related to not drinking enough water. Over the years I can almost always count on a fellow who has gone down with heat stroke once to have the issue easier with each episode. I have always been the type to sweat like a horse. Enough that guys have made comments about it over the years. As long as I drink lots of water, I think it has always helped me avoid heat stroke.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

I’ve canceled a few outdoor training classes already. My body just can’t handle it anymore.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

For a number of reasons, including the heat, my summer schedule has been sparse. I am hoping to get some personal trigger time during the weekend the mornings (prefer to shoot all day).

Certainly hydration is critical. Before launching a raid the Commache would drink water until they threw up to insure they had maximum hydration. I've never gone that far, but hydration, acclimatization, and shade are really important.

These temps seem unprecedented in Texas, so it is certainly an adjustment.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

JRG

Post by JRG »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:02 am I have only been to the indoor range a few times. Because of my health I cannot tolerate the heat nor do I really care to. A few weeks back I suffered heat exhaustion and was in Baylor overnight. That was just from going and visiting shut ins on a Saturday. I can’t imagine being out in this heat for hours on end.

Carl,
Like you I cannot tolerate the heat much beyond going to the truck and back, and maybe a couple of stores on the same trip. I have a cardiologist appointment Friday to see what's up with me. In this heat I fade pretty quickly. I only shoot indoors, mostly at the Shootsmart close to you. Debbie and I full-time RV and do mission projects, and as such we've been able to be up north during the summers for all 15 years of our retirement.......until this summer. With doctor visits, hospital procedures, and the time in between each, usually 4 to 5 weeks, we've been in Waxahachie since April and it looks like we will be here until the end of November. I grew up in Mesquite, but had forgotten how hot it gets in Texas in the summer. Please put me on your prayer list sir, as I am having esophagus and heart issues. Thanks, Joe.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

JRG wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:50 pm

Carl,
Like you I cannot tolerate the heat much beyond going to the truck and back, and maybe a couple of stores on the same trip. I have a cardiologist appointment Friday to see what's up with me. In this heat I fade pretty quickly. I only shoot indoors, mostly at the Shootsmart close to you. Debbie and I full-time RV and do mission projects, and as such we've been able to be up north during the summers for all 15 years of our retirement.......until this summer. With doctor visits, hospital procedures, and the time in between each, usually 4 to 5 weeks, we've been in Waxahachie since April and it looks like we will be here until the end of November. I grew up in Mesquite, but had forgotten how hot it gets in Texas in the summer. Please put me on your prayer list sir, as I am having esophagus and heart issues. Thanks, Joe.
Joe I have had you on my prayer list from day one, but my wife and I will pray extra for you. I will also add you to the Church Prayer meeting tonight.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

107f here today. at least humidity is 27% but it still sucks.
its not normal for piney woods,
so we are just doing stuff at home
my pistols and rifles have never been cleaner,
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Doing as much indoors as I can.

Walking the dog is the extent of my out door activity.

It’s friggen 90 at 11 pm.

extremist

Post by extremist »

Last month, I started riding my bike 10 miles each morning ~8:00-9:00, Sun-Fri, and shoot on Saturday mornings. Try to go to the range (outdoor) before noon, at least once a week. Last weeks match was cancelled due to "excessive heat". Shot the match on the 2nd, it wasn't that bad. We have a match Saturday, heat should be 90s by 10:00am. Hydrate with water and water with electrolyte powder. I pass on Gatorade, too much sugar. Going to be 63 next month, not doing too bad, can't complain. :hurry: Bike riding is definitely helping my stamina. And losing/keeping of weight.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

extremist wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:23 pm Last month, I started riding my bike 10 miles each morning ~8:00-9:00, Sun-Fri, and shoot on Saturday mornings. Try to go to the range (outdoor) before noon, at least once a week. Last weeks match was cancelled due to "excessive heat". Shot the match on the 2nd, it wasn't that bad. We have a match Saturday, heat should be 90s by 10:00am. Hydrate with water and water with electrolyte powder. I pass on Gatorade, too much sugar. Going to be 63 next month, not doing too bad, can't complain. :hurry: Bike riding is definitely helping my stamina. And losing/keeping of weight.
I ride my bike often as well. It doesn't seem to help me lose weight at all. I can tell you the air cooled engine on a Harley does tend to get real hot sitting at signals but still does not help me keep my weight in check. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:08 am I ride my bike often as well. It doesn't seem to help me lose weight at all. I can tell you the air cooled engine on a Harley does tend to get real hot sitting at signals but still does not help me keep my weight in check. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
:biggrinjester:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

extremist wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:23 pm Last month, I started riding my bike 10 miles each morning ~8:00-9:00, Sun-Fri, and shoot on Saturday mornings. Try to go to the range (outdoor) before noon, at least once a week. Last weeks match was cancelled due to "excessive heat". Shot the match on the 2nd, it wasn't that bad. We have a match Saturday, heat should be 90s by 10:00am. Hydrate with water and water with electrolyte powder. I pass on Gatorade, too much sugar. Going to be 63 next month, not doing too bad, can't complain. :hurry: Bike riding is definitely helping my stamina. And losing/keeping of weight.
I started doing more outdoor cycling when government lockdowns closed the gyms. Last year, I set a goal to do 2000 miles, and barely got it by November before I had an accident. This year, I set a goal to do 2400 miles. I'm up to 1155 as of last night when I knocked out 18.6. It was 102F outside with a heat index of 106F according to google when I left. Found a nice evap cooling vest to ride in. Thing held almost 1.5 liters of water and the ride was reasonably comfortable.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

JRG

Post by JRG »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:16 pm
Joe I have had you on my prayer list from day one, but my wife and I will pray extra for you. I will also add you to the Church Prayer meeting tonight.
Thank you so much. I am a firm believer in the power of prayer!

Joe

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

JRG wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:50 pm
carlson1 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:16 pm
Thank you so much. I am a firm believer in the power of prayer!

Joe
Me too my friend. Because of prayer I am still here.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:08 am
I ride my bike often as well. It doesn't seem to help me lose weight at all. I can tell you the air cooled engine on a Harley does tend to get real hot sitting at signals but still does not help me keep my weight in check. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
You mean the engine vibration doesn't help you lose weight?? You need an older Harley :mrgreen:
I have ridden mine to the office a couple of times since this heat set in, but I really hate the ride home. Gotta ride to church Sunday because we are having sign ups for our motorcycle ministry this week and next week. I promise I will be going straight home after church though. May go to the range Sunday afternoon. After all, my wife is going to be in Vegas watching my grand daughter bowl in the national tournement.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”