Report: Over 24.4 million AKs & ARs in Circulation

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Report: Over 24.4 million AKs & ARs in Circulation

Post by Paladin »

America is becoming better armed by the day: Report: Over 24.4 million AKs & ARs in Circulation
This figure represents a bump of some 4.6 million rifles since the last estimate was conducted just two short years ago.
Authoritarians must be panicked that their illegitimate grasp on power is slipping away with such a well armed population.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe

Re: Report: Over 24.4 million AKs & ARs in Circulation

Post by Rafe »

Everybody needs to read the last few paragraphs of that short article mentioning our good buddy, Jerry "Nads" Nadler D(NY):
“So, to clarify, Mr. Chairman, you’re saying it is the point of the bill to ban weapons that are in common use in the United States today?” said Bishop.

“Yes,” replied Nadler.
Still, even with this revised estimate, it's very difficult for me to get my head around the notion that there are only 24.4 million ARs, AKs, and variants (meaning, of course, all stripped lowers sitting in safes, as well) in circulation in the U.S. All imports and all manufacturers? I don't doubt that only a modest number would have been sold prior to 1990, but they were being sold and the majority of those would still "in the wild" and functioning, as well. Let's say that accounts for the 0.4, roughly; that's likely a conservative number. Then if CONUS-manufactured ARs account for about 85% of the 24 million, that's 20.4 million. Even a decade ago we had at least 280 AR manufacturers active in the U.S; I'll bet there's more now. Over a span of 30 years, all manufacturing of AR lowers or complete rifles, SBRs, and pistols amounted to only about 2,400 units per manufacturer per year? From the niche manufacturers to the big names like S&W?

Man; I feel like I've received that many email ads just this year from companies who have me on their mailing lists. ;-)
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

RSX11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RSX11 »

Still, even with this revised estimate, it's very difficult for me to get my head around the notion that there are only 24.4 million ARs, AKs, and variants
Well, this doesn't count all of the ones that were lost in boating accidents.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

RSX11 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:39 pm
Still, even with this revised estimate, it's very difficult for me to get my head around the notion that there are only 24.4 million ARs, AKs, and variants
:lol: :patriot:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mayor

Post by mayor »

RSX11 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:39 pm
I believe, and I've submitted this before, if the time has come that we need to hide our weapons, then the time has come that we may need to use them.

I've read the Declaration of Independence a few times lately. It seems to be deja vu all over again. I think this is what keeps patriots at bay:
"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. "

But I'm just a dumb ole country boy.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Experts make case for AR-15
“They are a perfect self-defense firearm for a dizzying array of reasons, including low recoil, great ergonomics, and easy customization.”
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:31 pm Experts make case for AR-15
“They are a perfect self-defense firearm for a dizzying array of reasons, including low recoil, great ergonomics, and easy customization.”
Add modularity, the ability to configure in various for-purpose lengths, ease of maintenance, availability of parts and repair, numerous optics and accessory options, a wide variety of instruction and training choices, and a common, globally available NATO caliber. :thumbs2:

...And I still can't believe there are only 24.4 million ARs and AKs in all variants and configurations and stripped lowers out there in the 50 states.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”