UPS Ammo Shipments Going Missing

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

UPS Ammo Shipments Going Missing

Post by Excaliber »

Ammo companies are reporting unusual numbers of ammo shipments sent through UPS are going missing.

Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: UPS Ammo Shipments Going Missing

Post by carlson1 »

Link is not working for my friend.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:46 am Link is not working for my friend.
Oops! Link fixed.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rafe »

One ammunition distribution company...reported out of a recent 18,000 rounds of ammunition shipped with UPS, only 6,000 made it to the end destination....

"In the investigation from the shipping aspect, we actually got involved with a couple of other folks that say that here in the Greater Atlanta area, where my business is based out of, we've run into issues where people have not received their ammo. And we noticed it on both ends. I believe one of my distributors has actually lost over $200,000 worth of ammunition that just wound up missing."
https://investors.ups.com/company-profile
Customer First, People Led, Innovation Driven

UPS is the world’s premier package delivery company and a leading provider of global supply chain management solutions. We operate one of the largest airlines and one of the largest fleets of alternative fuel vehicles under a global UPS brand.
Total Revenues
2019: $74.09 billion
2020: $84.63 billion
2021: $97.29 billion

U.S. Domestic Package Operating Profit
2019: $4.16 billion
2020: $3.89 billion
2021: $6.44 billion

The UPS executive leadership and board of directors: https://about.ups.com/us/en/our-company/leadership.html

Surprising to me is that UPS's CEO, Carol B. Tomé, has a political donation history that is not blue. Most of her donations went through her previous employer's PAC (that was Home Depot), but all of her individual donations have been to Republicans, including one to the WINRED PAC.

Likewise, from what I can find, UPS's chairman of the board, William R. Johnson, also leans conservative. Unfortunately, the name is too common to quickly pin anything down, but he (and UPS) has been a recent target of whining from liberal bureaucrats (the link is to a PDF file from "SEIU MajorityAction"). Johnson got his MBA from the University of Texas (which doesn't mean anything politically, but it's better than, say, a degree from Berkeley).

I can't find anything meaningful about Nando Cesarone, the UPS president of U.S. operations. Looks like he's from Canada, got his MBA in Scotland, and started his career at UPS in 1990 as a package handler before becoming a package car driver; got both both his degrees while working at UPS full-time. So he worked his way up from, literally, the ground floor. Not what you normally see from an entitled, whinging leftist.

So if this is happening, I wonder where it's coming from? Doesn't seem like the top players at UPS are of a frothing-at-the-mouth radical-left bent, and putting some of the company profits and reputation at risk by intentionally "losing" shipments--especially now that some shippers are taking photo evidence of the packages as they're handed over to UPS--just doesn't seem to jive. Could this be something not driven from above in the company, but something happening, suddenly, at a large scale at the worker-bee level?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

couzin

Post by couzin »

Probably happening at the dock or during shipping. Years ago (early 70s), I drove a truck on contract to USPS for a mail route to several Wilmington (DE) post offices. I watched dock workers carry tires to their cars (yep, tires were tape wrapped and sent through the post office), and various sized boxes as well. After a few instances, I made the mistake of saying something to the dock foreman. A few days later my boss pulled me off that route and I was sent to a lower Delmarva route. All kinds of stuff falls off trucks...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

couzin wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:43 pm Probably happening at the dock or during shipping. Years ago (early 70s), I drove a truck on contract to USPS for a mail route to several Wilmington (DE) post offices. I watched dock workers carry tires to their cars (yep, tires were tape wrapped and sent through the post office), and various sized boxes as well. After a few instances, I made the mistake of saying something to the dock foreman. A few days later my boss pulled me off that route and I was sent to a lower Delmarva route. All kinds of stuff falls off trucks...
At least UPS doesn't ship via boat. At least I don't think they do. I mean, entire boatloads of "desirable" cargo can sink beyond retrieval with no warning at all. :leaving

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 6#p1323646

Somebody I saw on Twitter told me that a UPS employee once hijacked a box being sent to him from a pro-2A company, took it home, and soaked it in a can of water for a week before returning it to UPS for forwarding to the customer. Apparently, UPS Guy thought it was a box of ammo. What it really was was a box of screws for antique rifles. UPS Guy thought his little act of rebellion was really putting one over on the gun nuts. He got caught.

Today, that little "act of rebellion" would likely get him promoted.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:30 pm Apparently, UPS Guy thought it was a box of ammo. What it really was was a box of screws for antique rifles.
Ya know, that made me think back to the ammo shipments I've received. I hit DuckDuckGo, and I learned something. Well, at least two things. 1) I'm not as observant as I thought I was. I've received ammo shipments since this went into effect, and never noticed. 2) This will come as news to no one on the forum but me, but as of January 1, 2021, the ORM-D classification for ammo is no longer valid and can't be put on shipment boxes. For well over a decade, I just got used to every ammo shipment having an ORM-D sticker on it, so I wondered how the UPS guy thought a box of screws was a box of ammo. :sad:

UPS ORM-D deprecation notice: https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/me ... ckages.pdf

UPS current how-to-ship page for ammunition: https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipp ... ition.page

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

If you insure a package, who provides the insurance? Shipper? Third party? If the shipper provides shipping insurance aren't they cutting their own throat?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:17 pm If you insure a package, who provides the insurance? Shipper? Third party? If the shipper provides shipping insurance aren't they cutting their own throat?
Shipper, unless of course they have changed the fine print on what insurance will cover. Of course they don’t tell you that part. I had UPS try and screw me over on a insured package. I won’t go into details because it’s a long one, but short version is that I managed to get the package declared unrepairable through the manufacture. Instead of paying me $500.00 to get it repaired they ended up paying me around $1500.00 for a replacement. I managed to repair it and sold it for a profit.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Last week I received a box of ammo and mags from PSA without delay.
Charlie

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”