Putting an optic on my Glock 19

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 5

Putting an optic on my Glock 19

Post by Scott in Houston »

I’m considering doing this to one of my Glocks. Either my Gen 3 19 or 26.

https://velocitytriggers.com/product/gl ... dot-mount/

My question is this… do I need to do anything else? Does the added weight of the optic affect the slide’s cycle speed and/or mess with reliability at all?

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Putting an optic on my Glock 19

Post by Tex1961 »

As a general rule no. Adding a red dot shouldn’t have any affect on performance or operation of your gun. Enjoy 😊

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Honestly, I would get your slide milled or buy a ready to mount optic slide.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:25 pm Honestly, I would get your slide milled or buy a ready to mount optic slide.
I agree in principle and will probably do that as well.
Does Glock make one from the factory? I haven't shopped new Glocks in years.
I figured to see how well I like a red dot, it would be cheaper to modify one of my existing guns.

EDIT: I found the Glock MOS guns. What would be ideal is if I could buy a Gen 3 Glock 19 MOS slide for a current gun, then just alternate based on whether I want a RDS or not. Keep one slide fresh iron sights like it is today, and another slide for when I want the RDS.

tomneal
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tomneal »

When added optics to my Glock 17, I bought a milled slide from Brownells, and the small parts that go in the slide. Both slides ride in my G17 gun rug. It only takes a moment to swap them out.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Scott in Houston wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:39 pm
EDIT: I found the Glock MOS guns. What would be ideal is if I could buy a Gen 3 Glock 19 MOS slide for a current gun, then just alternate based on whether I want a RDS or not. Keep one slide fresh iron sights like it is today, and another slide for when I want the RDS.
You can set up an MOS GLOCK such that the sights and the dot are cowitnessed.
When I look through my RDS I see the dot and both front and rear sights.
If the dot fails I'll still have (night) sights.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Scott in Houston

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:32 am
Excellent! That's the route I want to go. Thank you!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Scott in Houston wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:44 am
Happy to help!

There are a lot of combinations of RDS and sights that can work.... the right height fixed sights will depend on the height of the RDS, so, be sure you consider all of the pieces before buying them.

For example... I put a Holosun 407k-x2 on a Gen5 G19. Well, the holes in the MOS cut don't match the footprint of the Holosun, so, I had to get an adapter plate from CHPWS. Once the optic is in place you can judge from the stock fixed sights whether your replacement fixed sights need to be taller or shorter or the same as stock height.

Once you decide on a RDS, you can likely find some folks online that can tell you what height the fixed sights want to be to cowitness with that specific dot.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:08 am Happy to help!

There are a lot of combinations of RDS and sights that can work.... the right height fixed sights will depend on the height of the RDS, so, be sure you consider all of the pieces before buying them.

For example... I put a Holosun 407k-x2 on a Gen5 G19. Well, the holes in the MOS cut don't match the footprint of the Holosun, so, I had to get an adapter plate from CHPWS. Once the optic is in place you can judge from the stock fixed sights whether your replacement fixed sights need to be taller or shorter or the same as stock height.

Once you decide on a RDS, you can likely find some folks online that can tell you what height the fixed sights want to be to cowitness with that specific dot.
That's great! I've been away from the community managing family stuff for the last like 4-5 years (daughter with health challenges has taken all my attention).
So now that things are better (and she's off at college!) I'm getting back into shooting and re-evaluating my self and home defense.
I'm all over the board on what I want to do. For example, get a totally new gun like an Sig 226 with Optics... or a Beretta 92X with or without optics.
Or, since I own several Glocks already, just modify the slide for one and add an optic or buy a whole new Glock with the MOS slide.
It's crazy! I am a bit overwhelmed in terms of what gun/optic combo to do.

My dream option is the Staccato C2 with an RMR, but that's $2500 in total at least!
tomneal wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:09 am When added optics to my Glock 17, I bought a milled slide from Brownells, and the small parts that go in the slide. Both slides ride in my G17 gun rug. It only takes a moment to swap them out.
This sounds like a good option! My work horse and "old reliable" is my Glock 19, Gen 3 that I've owned for 14 years or so. It's my "wooby". Can't be without it.
I thought about getting a new slide for it as you did, but wasn't sure if it would affect reliability ... worst case, I just put the original slide back on and try another option.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

reliability
I use my G17 with Optics to shoot USPSA matches. The G17 has been reliable. Age and eyesight issues have affected my scores. However, I can bull with the best of them, between stages.
See you at the range

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Scott in Houston wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:44 am
My son bought a milled slide for his 43X on eBay. It gave him problems…proof of the old adage that you usually get what you paid for. This the junky slide he bought: https://www.tacdom.com/tacdom/patmos-ar ... -rmsc-cut/.

After that, he sprung for two Grey Ghost Precision slides—one for his G17 ($250) and the other for his 43X ($300). Both were bought at auctions on eBay. MSRP on the Grey Ghost website is in the $425-$450 range, so eBay is worth checking out. They’re both awesome slides. Moral of the story is that you get what you pay for. I’d upload both images of his two guns with the slides, but for some reason the forum software isn’t accepting the image of the 43X. Image of the G17 shown below.

I suppose that someday I’ll have to succumb and either convert my Glocks to accept an optic, or buy a new gun that’s already equipped. But as long as I can still see the front sight, I actually prefer irons on my pistols. I’ve never been able to overcome "chasing the dot" with either lasers or RDSs on handguns. With long guns, they’re fine and I like them a lot. But…for me…RDSs on pistols is a training issue, and I have neither the time nor the money to invest in the modifications, the range time, and replacing the ammo burned up in getting used to them.

And then there’s all the new holsters I’d have to buy… :lol:
G17.jpg
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Scott in Houston

TAM.
Thank for that. I always enjoy your posts. I have been away from this forum for about 3 years (family medical issues taking all my free time), but now back and catching up!

Your post above validates I video I watched that you probably would appreciate. He addresses how for those of us who have been so focused on the front sight for so long, can transition if we want to, but it's not easy nor is it necessary. He also makes great points about whether this RDS thing is here to stay, or will it go the way of the laser, pachmeyer grips or .40 S&W... lol. give it a watch. I think you'll appreciate it.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this question. Why do you folks like optics over laser sights? I have laser sights on several of my everyday carry weapons. They don't add the bulk of an optic and work well for me. With the laser sights I can usually use the holster I use with no laser because they are low profile. I have an optic on my AR15 and have had some issues with it working and staying sighted in. It is an EOtec. maybe the brand is the issue but for a concealed carry weapon, I am rather rotund and the extra profile an optic adds can be an issue for me.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I have used optics on competition guns for more than 20 years. I've never had issues. Other than leaving them on and using up the battery just before the match.

I've never tried lasers. Do they wash out in bright sunlight? Maybe I need to try one.
See you at the range

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

For me, finding the laser dot in the bright sun is much harder/slower than finding the dot from a RDS.

YMMV

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”