Smaller 9mm CC options

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Smaller 9mm CC options

Post by cmgee67 »

What do you guys recommend for a smaller 9mm concealed carry option? In the world of the tiny double stack 9mm’s it’s hard to narrow it down. I am not of a fan of the Sig 365 series. I’ve handled them all and carried a couple. Never loved the grip or way they look. I have stayed away from the Springfield hellcat and I am not certain why. They look to be solid guns. Ruger has their Max 9 and Smith has the shield plus. Glock has the 43x and 48. Any I am missing any? For the most part I stick to compact Glock 19 sized CC’s. But the micro 9’s have got me intrigued for their capacity and capabilities. It’s hard to justify a gun the size of the 19 for 10 hours a day when you can go smaller and lighter and get the same or really close to the same capacity.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Smaller 9mm CC options

Post by Paladin »

Try the Shield with a mag extension or Shield Plus. There are Performance Center Shield Plus's that are nice.

I often carry a Shield with Mag extension giving me 10rds in the mag.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

43X gives you 10+1 and is relatively light and easily concealed. Personally, whatever gun I am carrying, be it the 19 or the 43X, I will carry a spare mag. Each individual's priorities are different, but I am comfortable with the 43X.
:tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FastCarry »

Dont forget the new 509 cc edge, staccato CS, wilson edc x9/sfx9, Shadow Systems CR920. I cant shoot dstack micros worth a crap for some reason, but i can handle the P938. For additional capacity however ive swapped over to a Bul Armory SAS II UltraLight.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I suggest you go to a gun store or show and try out several different options. I’m a shield plus guy myself but wouldn’t hurt my feelings if a Sig x macro jumped into my holster.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I often POCKET CARRY GLOCK 26 as a B.U.G.
Desantis Nemesis pocket holster
Sometimes 10+1
Sometimes 12+1
Sometimes with 13+1, (10+pearcegrip model pg-39+3 base plate)
sometimes 15+1 (Glock 19 mag)
Sometimes 17+1 (either Glock 19..15rn mag with +2 base plate ...or glock 17 mag)
sometimes 18+1 (glock 19 mag & pearcegrip pg39 +3 base plate)
sometimes 19+1 (glock 17 mag +2 base plate
& sometimes with 20+1, (Glock 17 mag with pg39 +3 base plate
and the appropriate X-grip mag spaces

depending on the pocket
---
its about the same size as the cheapo keltec p11 and sccy clone
-----------
I understand the
original hellcat 13 round and hellcat pro bigger grip more capacity are not interchangeable mags

the kahr p9? pm9? cw9 are supposed to be a nice size, but the last kahr i owned wanted 50,000 round breakin and at today's ammo prices ...nah

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

cmgee67 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:43 am It’s hard to justify a gun the size of the 19 for 10 hours a day when you can go smaller and lighter and get the same or really close to the same capacity.
One thing to remember, a smaller gun is typically harder to master and it will take a lot of practice. Conceal carry is a trade off in many ways and the size of the gun is one of them. I'm a firm believer that you carry as big of a gun, within reason, that you can carry. A duty size weapon is easier to shoot than a micro. I have moved up from a sub-compact to a duty size over the last few years. Granted, I don't really have to be discreet about carrying. I just keep it covered up.

My wife carries a P938 since she has to carry very discreetly. It is a great little gun and I love to shoot it but it is more challenging the farther from the target. Add in movement and it compounds it.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting one, just be aware of the trade-offs.

The Shield Plus, Glock 26 and 43, and the XDS are all common options.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Went and handled all popular micros this morning. The only one I cared for was the hellcat. I tried the pro version but the grip hit my hand weird. The micros were just that, micro…. I guess I’ll stick with my compacts. The size just works for me.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

A couple of years ago I bought my wife a Sg P938. Unfortunately with her arthritis, she can’t rack the slide . So we moved her into a revolver and I inherited the Sig.
I’ve never been a 9mm guy as I was taught to shoot with 45 and that Is what my normal EDC is. However, I decided to carry the 938 as a BUG and did for a couple of months. But several range trips with it I decided to carry it as a primary, especially at church. Now, I do carry 2 additional mags but I do that anyway with my 1911’s.
The 938 is smooth and accurate and has eaten everything it’s been fed
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a G43, which I occasionally carry. I do like it. If I were to buy another single-stack 9mm, I’d probably pick up a G48. Why not a 43X? Because I’ve already got a 43, and there’s not enough significant difference for me between a 43 and a 43X. What I want is something that’s roughly same grip length and sight radius as a 4” 1911, but striker fired with more capacity and lighter weight.

The G48 just feels real good in my hand.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have every 9mm cc there is I guess. The best one and the only one I kept is a Springfield Hellcat OSP. Had to do a little work to get the Holosun to fit, but was no problem. It is very smooth no sharp edges. Put a Holosun 507K and it is perfect. It is like it had a melt down treatment. It is a great shooter.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have been carrying a PM9 for quite awhile. Benefits, it is slim, easy to fire. It has a very strong spring and the felt recoil is minimal. Lightweight and accurate. Drawbacks, with the smaller magazine it is 6 plus one. It does come with a extended magazine that is 7 plus one. If you want something with 10 rounds or more, this isn't the handgun for you. I love mine. I am heavy set and it is difficult to carry concealed inside the waistband but the Kahr is fine and will also fit in a front pocket. I also pocket carry a S&W 442 but it is only 5 rounds. I carry two or three speed loaders in my off hand pocket. Again, very lightweight and easy to conceal.

I am not wanting to open carry so some of the larger handguns can be an issue. I suppose I could carry outside the waistband with a baggy shirt covering it but it would have to be very large to make up for my weight.

I suppose this all really means I need to diet and exercise more. :biggrinjester
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:04 pm I have every 9mm cc there is I guess. The best one and the only one I kept is a Springfield Hellcat OSP. Had to do a little work to get the Holosun to fit, but was no problem. It is very smooth no sharp edges. Put a Holosun 507K and it is perfect. It is like it had a melt down treatment. It is a great shooter.
That's what my pastor carries too.
Deacons are carrying mostly Glocks in 9mm & 45, some of the ladies carry .38 special and .380acp. but one prefers grip on the Glock 9mm to the Hellcat Pro her had has.
I'm seriously liking the Hellcat after seeing his with optics too, may need more Christmas money...

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I've carried Glock's for years so it's what I'm used to. My EDC is either a 17 or 45. I like the full size guns and having a full grip. When the 43 came out, I picked one up. I was recently out of the hospital from heart surgery and needed something small and light to carry while I walked and went to the gym. Later, as I got stronger, I felt the capacity lacking. When the 43x and 48 came out, I immediately sold my 19 and went to a 43x with a milled slide for an optic and a put a comp on it. The Shield 15 round capacity magazines had also recently came out. I immediately picked up 3 magazines along with the requisite metal magazine release. I know had the capacity of the Glock 19 in a smaller package.

If you like your Glock 19, you will like the Glock 43x and 48. It's noticeable smaller while still being able to get (at least for me) a full hand around the grip. And with the Shield magazines, you can have a similar capacity.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:08 pm I have a G43, which I occasionally carry. I do like it. If I were to buy another single-stack 9mm, I’d probably pick up a G48. Why not a 43X? Because I’ve already got a 43, and there’s not enough significant difference for me between a 43 and a 43X. What I want is something that’s roughly same grip length and sight radius as a 4” 1911, but striker fired with more capacity and lighter weight.

The G48 just feels real good in my hand.
I have a 43 as well as a 48 (technically a 43x with a comp on it making it 48 length). One side benefit is you can swap the slides between the two. So you can have the smaller frame with a longer slide. Or the larger frame with the smaller slide. I do like the 43 for when working out in a gym and I need something less bulky and lighter in weight. I also like it for pocket carry or when I need to wear a suit and I'm in a non permissive environment. I plan to get the 9 round Shield magazines for the 43 soon and give those a try.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”