How Do You Secure Your Firearms

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

How Do You Secure Your Firearms

Post by carlson1 »

We have no one living in the house now, but us (Praise the Lord) however I have grandones in often. I lock up EVERYTHHING when they are here except what is on my hip.

How do you secure and how often do secure your firearms if you are an empty nester?

You that have children home how do you secure your firearms.

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How Do You Secure Your Firearms

Post by flowrie »

We have one teenage son.
Everything is locked up unless it's on my hip.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Safes and lock boxes
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

Me, the wife and twin 25 YO sons, both certified RSO”s. All 4 of us have our LTC. Only guns not in the safes are my nightstand gun, my carry which is usually in my office drawer and my son’s carry he keeps upstairs in his room.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

We have grandkids living with us so all guns are locked up all the time. Rifles and a couple of handguns are in the garage safe, a handgun is in a Gunvault attached to my nightstand, and another is in a locked desk drawer in my home office.
Charlie

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

No kids of my own but I have nieces and nephews that would come over and spend the night when they were younger. Always kept guns locked up in the safe or Gun Vault in my bedroom. Otherwise it was on my person. Now that they are older and I mostly work from home now, things are different. AR in my bedroom closet and normally in the morning before I get dressed, loaded handgun near me but not on me.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

everything except the above bed pistol is in the safe
only 2 that have combo is wife and i
grandchild is living with us now she has zero access
she is a natural at the range, but everything gets locked up after use and cleaning
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Everything but by EDC is in safe. Our kids and grandkids are all living elsewhere. Grandkids all off to college
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

I guess I am thinking of what might happen if I am not home. I lock everything up when we are traveling, but just my ever day schedule is not hard to figure out.

DocV

Post by DocV »

I use a layered approach. Safes. Exterior door locks on interior rooms. Outdoor and indoor security cameras.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I found a great program called Formbook. It works across all of my devices. It’s a database where you can put your own fields and add photos. If you have it on your phone you can take photos within the app. If anything ever happens to any of my firearms I’ve got serial numbers, prices, pictures, etc. for police and insurance.

Don T

Post by Don T »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:05 pm I found a great program called Formbook. It works across all of my devices. It’s a database where you can put your own fields and add photos. If you have it on your phone you can take photos within the app. If anything ever happens to any of my firearms I’ve got serial numbers, prices, pictures, etc. for police and insurance.
You might want to investigate Formbook. When I looked for it after reading your post, I found various warnings identifying it as "malware" or "malware as a service" or as an "info stealer." Here is a link to one site discussing it:

https://any.run/malware-trends/formbook

Don T

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Handgun safe by bed and desk safe in my office. Also have large safe for long guns and smaller one in closet.

But yes - locked up all the time except when wearing it. We have a teenager still at home and a number of grandkids.
Ron
NRA Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Don T wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:05 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:05 pm I found a great program called Formbook. It works across all of my devices. It’s a database where you can put your own fields and add photos. If you have it on your phone you can take photos within the app. If anything ever happens to any of my firearms I’ve got serial numbers, prices, pictures, etc. for police and insurance.
You might want to investigate Formbook. When I looked for it after reading your post, I found various warnings identifying it as "malware" or "malware as a service" or as an "info stealer." Here is a link to one site discussing it:

https://any.run/malware-trends/formbook

Don T
Thanks. I think they may be different things though. I’m not saying it’s always safe, but it’s from the Apple App Store.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

DocV wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:53 pm I use a layered approach. Safes. Exterior door locks on interior rooms. Outdoor and indoor security cameras.
Similar here. Just the two of us, and I work mostly from home now; travel to meet with a client locally maybe once a week or less; haven't traveled out of town in months. All visitors know that we prefer advance notice, so any doorbell ring is usually not going to be somebody planning to come inside. No grandkids or nieces/nephews to visit.

So neither of us actually wear a gun inside very often. We consider it an unnecessary comfort sacrifice if you're going to be inside for extended periods. At my desk, a service-sized XDm with a spare mag is in the center righthand drawer. If something goes bump, I can get to it almost as quickly as I could if it were on my hip (and, yep; we've drilled break-in scenarios: wives who are willing to tandem train are a blessing from God).

Before I step outside, even to put the trash at the curb, EDC is on my hip, same if we're expecting visitors. If the doorbell rings and we aren't expecting anyone, a paddle holster is slipped on my belt. But in our two-story, there is a firearm concealed but readily available in almost every room; kitchen, half-bath, and guest bedroom (which sees no use) are the only exceptions. A tactical flashlight (of varying quality, I admit) is next to each gun. If leaving the house, everything gets locked up, all the time, no exceptions; same if visitors are coming over.

Monitored alarm system with motion sensors; interior motion video in foyer covering front door and entrance from utility room and garage, and above the kitchen facing the back door and living room windows. Those are independent so we can switch on the front door in the evening, and turn on the kitchen/back door when we turn in for the night (these are cell phone controlled so I don't have to be caught in my PJs if I absolutely have to have a midnight snack). ;-) Outdoor cameras at front door, above garage, both sides of the house (though only partial coverage there), and above the back door.

Almost 2/3 of the master closet is firearm stuff, including two safes (my wife lets me get away with that because she gets all the closet space in the three other bedrooms), and I replaced the closet door with a reinforced frame and a solid core door. That won't stop anybody, but it will slow them down. I put an alarm motion sensor in the master bath, too, which leads to the only entry to the master closet. Safes are anchored into the slab, and the closet door has a keyed deadbolt. Worst case scenario, that closet is our safe room. Also where we hunkered down for Hurricane Ike.

I doubt anybody in this forum would yell, "Paranoid!" But, yeah, I don't tell many folks about our minimal arrangements. Would probably frighten the pants off a committed snowflake. Not perfect by any means, though. I'd much rather be outside of the big city and not sandwiched in a residential neighborhood with nothing much to call a yard. What I don't really have any control over are those external layers of security.

But, hey. It seems the big cities are not the targets of giant Chinese spy balloons, so I guess there's that...
:???:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”