What 3 or 4 Guns Is Needed

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What 3 or 4 Guns Is Needed

Post by LDB415 »

I'll go with an 870 Marine Magnum that functions flawlessly with the 1.75" rounds with maybe #2 buckshot in case of uninvited visitors.

My Shield EZ .30 Super Carry until such time as I decide I like another pistol better and switch them out.

A LNIB Remington 552 BDL or similar A list rimfire.

An A list AR-15 in .223 Wylde chambering and 18" barrel in a magic case similar to a Mary Poppins bag so whatever extra I want is in the case.

And all with ammo supply like the brandy in The Bishop's Wife.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I wonder for how many of us is their list based on selecting 3 or 4 from their current collection…or are they including items they don’t yet own but would like to have.

For my own part, I’m going with 4 because the thread title permits it. I’m going to also pick from guns I already own—mostly because I can’t afford to pay attention, let alone buy more guns. :mrgreen:

Option 1:
1. Henry Octagon Frontier lever action in .22 S/L/LR
2. Mossberg 590A1 w/ 20" barrel, 8+1 rounds capacity
3. 20" AR-15
4. G17 or G19…either would be fine.

Option 2:
Same as above except #3 is a SCAR 17S in .308 instead of an AR-15. Why my SCAR, and not one of my bolt action .308s? Because it’s at least as accurate as most bolt actions (1.5 MOA with M80 ball, even better with 168 grain match); it’s good out to about 800 yards (which is further than I would need to shoot anything/anybody); it’s modular and can be tailored to my body dimensions (plus a folding stock); it is relatively lightweight for a "battle rifle"; and it has 20 round mags giving it higher capacity. My main complaint about the SCAR is that it doesn’t take STANAG mags without spending a LOT of money on an after market lower that takes AR-10 mags, and the FN mags are now selling for $60 apiece or more. Fortunately, I have some FN mags…maybe 10 or 12…but I could use more.

Although I own a couple of .22 pistols, I never considered making one part of a 4-gun combo because anything I’d want to shoot with a .22 would be better served by the higher velocity and better accuracy of a .22 rifle.

I picked my pump action shotgun over a semiauto I own and actually prefer shooting, because the pump has 2" more of barrel (and sight radius) for slightly more velocity, and carries an additional 8th round in the magazine. Velocity never hurt anyone…except maybe the shootee…and slugs turn it into a legitimate 150 yard big game gun. If money weren’t an issue (for now), I’d be happy to try and pick up a longer barrel that accepts chokes for my semiauto, and forego the extra round of capacity the pump gun offers. Then I’d have a shotgun I like shooting, that could be as easily used for hunting as it could be used for SD.

9mm Glocks need no explanation.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

1911 either .45 or 9mm with multiple magazines
AR 15 with multiple magazines
Shotgun 12 gauge
Scoped hunting rifle (bolt action 30.06 is personal choice)
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Revolver - smallish size, say a Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel, or similar. Chambered in .357

Bolt action rifle - .308 or 30-06 with a good scope

MSR - I'd go with a SCAR 17 personally if I had to only have one

Handgun. I'd be VERY torn on the exact one, but probably a Staccato-C

I don't bird hunt, so a shotgun wouldn't make the list for my top 4.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”