A couple of new old plinkers

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 7

A couple of new old plinkers

Post by puma guy »

I love .22 handguns and rifles, especially vintage models and have way too many, but I saw these two on internet auctions. Not in the best shape but at least one is a shooter so far. Haven't been able to get to the range with the other one. I have taken the H&R to the range, but not the Iver Johnson. They are not in the best of shape, but are mechanically sound. The web seller said the Iver Johnson wouldn't stay cocked on single action I took the grip off and sprayed a lot 0f grease remover and Rem oil in it and all is good. Stays firmly cocked now even when tapped on a hard surface. I got it 60 bucks plus 27.50 shipping so $87.50. The rear sight on it is so narrow it's barely functional for my old eyes.

Harrington and Richardson Sportsman double action top break .22 9 shot circa 1951

Iver Johnson Supershot double action top break .22 8 shot circa 1920-1929
Last edited by puma guy on Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A coiuple of new old plinkers

Post by Tex1961 »

Pretty neat. I’m just starting to get into antique and Curio and Relic firearms myself. I put my FFL 03 in the mail about 3 weeks ago. Nice to see them being used.

Topic author
puma guy

Re: A couple of new old plinkers

Post by puma guy »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:26 pm Pretty neat. I’m just starting to get into antique and Curio and Relic firearms myself. I put my FFL 03 in the mail about 3 weeks ago. Nice to see them being used.
Cool! I have another Iver Johnson on the way. A model 55 Target. I'm not sure how it classifies as a target revolver since the sights are just a grove in the top strap. I have a couple of other recent grabs that I took to the deer lease and shot for functionality, but no photos. A JC Higgins Model 80 semi-auto (High Standard Duramatic) and a High Standard Sentinel DA 9 shot revolver. When I get the Model 55 I'll take all three to the range. I watched a video of a presentation on Iver Johnson Cycle and Firearms Co; I had no idea of their history and innovative designs which are notable.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

puma guy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:28 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:26 pm Pretty neat. I’m just starting to get into antique and Curio and Relic firearms myself. I put my FFL 03 in the mail about 3 weeks ago. Nice to see them being used.
Cool! I have another Iver Johnson on the way. A model 55 Target. I'm not sure how it classifies as a target revolver since the sights are just a grove in the top strap. I have a couple of other recent grabs that I took to the deer lease and shot for functionality, but no photos. A JC Higgins Model 80 semi-auto (High Standard Duramatic) and a High Standard Sentinel DA 9 shot revolver. When I get the Model 55 I'll take all three to the range. I watched a video of a presentation on Iver Johnson Cycle and Firearms Co; I had no idea of their history and innovative designs which are notable.
I joined a C&R board a few weeks back. Just completely blown away by both the massive amount of older firearms and the amount of knowledge the members collectively have. I asked where was good places to start. Here is a link to the thread with lots of information on books, etc to learn. https://www.gunboards.com/threads/good- ... t-11214535

One question if you don’t mind, what auctions are you following.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:41 pm
puma guy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:28 pm
I joined a C&R board a few weeks back. Just completely blown away by both the massive amount of older firearms and the amount of knowledge the members collectively have. I asked where was good places to start. Here is a link to the thread with lots of information on books, etc to learn. https://www.gunboards.com/threads/good- ... t-11214535

One question if you don’t mind, what auctions are you following.
PM coming

Topic author
puma guy

Re: A couple of new old plinkers Updated

Post by puma guy »

A couple more newly acquired vintage plinker .22 handguns. The revolver is a High Standard Sentinel 9 shot DA. The semi-auto is a JC Higgins Model 8 which was made by High Standard as the Dura-Matic. I shot them at the deer lease to check functionality and both were fine and both magazines for the Model 8 worked well. Hit the coke cans with bot guns at about 10 yards. The revolver I bought for sentimental reasons. My dad had one and it was the first pistol I ever shot when I was about 8 years old. After he died it was still in a drawer in his chest of drawers. Still in the original box. After my mom passed away I was looking for it and another gun I had bought for him when I was selling guns. It was an Argentine Colt 1911 .45acp. It was still in the wrapper and covered in cosmoline when I bought it back in the late 60's. Both pistols were gone and I am pretty sure they were taken by a guy who attached himself to her doing odd jobs. When I saw the Sentinel was in good shape I bid on it and paid too much, but am happy I did. The semi-auto I bought up in Mansfield, TX. My daughter's father-in0law always takes me around to gun shows and shops when I visit. He told me he wanted to take me to a garage sale. It was at Triarc which surprised me when we drove up. Met the owner who told me he was selling some used stuff that belonged to his uncle. The JC Higgins was being ignored I guess because it was a Sears gun. Had two magazine and a vintage Hunter leather holster in a Doskicil case. I don't remember what I paid because I did a double deal with it and a Rossi copy of the Model 62 Winchester pump .22 rifle (that thing shoots terribly BTW) I'm just glad my wife is not a member of the forum LOL.

Topic author
puma guy

Re: A couple of new old plinkers New Old Iver Johnson .22

Post by puma guy »

Another auction buy that arrived today and picked up at my FFL for a transfer.
An Iver Johnson Target Model 55 .22 revolver. To call it a "Target" model is beyond a stretch. LOL! The rear sight is a groove in the top strap that's hidden by the hammer shooting DA. It's as simple as a revolver can get. The cylinder pin is removable to eject spent cartridges through the loading port by turning the cylinder in place or removing it entirely and then using the rod to eject the empty shells and loading the cylinder up with 8 rounds.
Have to get it to the range and post a report. Not in terrible shape finish wise, no rust or freckling but the bluing on areas of the frame are worn. The barrel and cylinders were left white on these guns and mine have turned dark. Still has some case hardening visible on the hammer. Mechanically it's in excellent shape, though. It doesn't have the famous Iver Johnson "Hammer the hammer " feature they were famous for and copied by many other makers. I added a video on the Model 55. They were made from 1955 to 1960 and mine was made between 1958 and 1960 based on the fluted cylinder. They made a Model 55A from 1961 to 1978 that added a loading gate instead of an open port. I actually sold these pistols at the store where I was employed from the mid '60s to 1971. They were probably less than 40 bucks.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grayling813 »

puma guy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:54 pm A couple more newly acquired vintage plinker .22 handguns. The revolver is a High Standard Sentinel 9 shot DA. The semi-auto is a JC Higgins Model 8 which was made by High Standard as the Dura-Matic. I shot them at the deer lease to check functionality and both were fine and both magazines for the Model 8 worked well. Hit the coke cans with bot guns at about 10 yards. The revolver I bought for sentimental reasons. My dad had one and it was the first pistol I ever shot when I was about 8 years old. After he died it was still in a drawer in his chest of drawers. Still in the original box. After my mom passed away I was looking for it and another gun I had bought for him when I was selling guns. It was an Argentine Colt 1911 .45acp. It was still in the wrapper and covered in cosmoline when I bought it back in the late 60's. Both pistols were gone and I am pretty sure they were taken by a guy who attached himself to her doing odd jobs. When I saw the Sentinel was in good shape I bid on it and paid too much, but am happy I did. The semi-auto I bought up in Mansfield, TX. My daughter's father-in0law always takes me around to gun shows and shops when I visit. He told me he wanted to take me to a garage sale. It was at Triarc which surprised me when we drove up. Met the owner who told me he was selling some used stuff that belonged to his uncle. The JC Higgins was being ignored I guess because it was a Sears gun. Had two magazine and a vintage Hunter leather holster in a Doskicil case. I don't remember what I paid because I did a double deal with it and a Rossi copy of the Model 62 Winchester pump .22 rifle (that thing shoots terribly BTW) I'm just glad my wife is not a member of the forum LOL.

My grandfather taught me to shoot with a High Standard revolver exactly like that one. It was passed down to me, but my son lost possession of it about 10 years ago.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:45 pm
puma guy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:54 pm A couple more newly acquired vintage plinker .22 handguns. The revolver is a High Standard Sentinel 9 shot DA. The semi-auto is a JC Higgins Model 8 which was made by High Standard as the Dura-Matic. I shot them at the deer lease to check functionality and both were fine and both magazines for the Model 8 worked well. Hit the coke cans with bot guns at about 10 yards. The revolver I bought for sentimental reasons. My dad had one and it was the first pistol I ever shot when I was about 8 years old. After he died it was still in a drawer in his chest of drawers. Still in the original box. After my mom passed away I was looking for it and another gun I had bought for him when I was selling guns. It was an Argentine Colt 1911 .45acp. It was still in the wrapper and covered in cosmoline when I bought it back in the late 60's. Both pistols were gone and I am pretty sure they were taken by a guy who attached himself to her doing odd jobs. When I saw the Sentinel was in good shape I bid on it and paid too much, but am happy I did. The semi-auto I bought up in Mansfield, TX. My daughter's father-in0law always takes me around to gun shows and shops when I visit. He told me he wanted to take me to a garage sale. It was at Triarc which surprised me when we drove up. Met the owner who told me he was selling some used stuff that belonged to his uncle. The JC Higgins was being ignored I guess because it was a Sears gun. Had two magazine and a vintage Hunter leather holster in a Doskicil case. I don't remember what I paid because I did a double deal with it and a Rossi copy of the Model 62 Winchester pump .22 rifle (that thing shoots terribly BTW) I'm just glad my wife is not a member of the forum LOL.

My grandfather taught me to shoot with a High Standard revolver exactly like that one. It was passed down to me, but my son lost possession of it about 10 years ago.
The first pistol I ever shot was my Dad's High Standard Sentinel

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

puma guy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:05 pm The first pistol I ever shot was my Dad's High Standard Sentinel
I was looking around in storage shed this afternoon for something and ran across the empty High Standard Sentinel box that my grandfather's gun was in.
9969A638-AAD4-439D-8200-4FC4DA996481.jpeg

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:44 pm
puma guy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:05 pm The first pistol I ever shot was my Dad's High Standard Sentinel
I was looking around in storage shed this afternoon for something and ran across the empty High Standard Sentinel box that my grandfather's gun was in.

That's cool. Do you still have the revolver?

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

puma guy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:42 am
Grayling813 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:44 pm

That's cool. Do you still have the revolver?
No.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”