TSA Approved Lock or Non-TSA Approved Lock?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 2

TSA Approved Lock or Non-TSA Approved Lock?

Post by dlh »

What type of lock do you guys recommend for your case when flying?
and,
Most of the cases I see have slots for two locks---should you use two locks or is one lock sufficient?
I bought an Eylar case and it should get here in a few days.
Thanks!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TSA Approved Lock or Non-TSA Approved Lock?

Post by Mike S »

I'd recommend using 2x locks if there's eyelets for two. If the locks are not on opposing sides of long lids, it's usually possible to pry the lid open enough to get inside, or to get the contents out..

Regarding types of locks, I haven't flown with firearms since I retired out of the Army. We always used the military "5200" style of padlocks on our Pelican cases. If TSA or Customs anywhere around the world wanted to inspect, we'd have a big key ring to open them up.

But, I don't think there's a TSA requirement for what kind of locks, just that they're locked. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who flys with firearms regularly for their perspective.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AF-Odin »

ONLY YOU may have the key/combination. TSA locks can be opened by anyone in TSA (and quite a few others). If TSA wants to inspect your firearm, YOU must open the case.

I have flown many, many times with firearms, though not in the last 2 years.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

AF-Odin wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:27 am ONLY YOU may have the key/combination. TSA locks can be opened by anyone in TSA (and quite a few others). If TSA wants to inspect your firearm, YOU must open the case.

I have flown many, many times with firearms, though not in the last 2 years.
Unless you're in Indy. The case is examined back in the baggage area. If they need it opened they won't bring it out and you're not allowed back there. You must give up the keys.

No TSA locks.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

ELB

Post by ELB »

This is straight off the TSA website:
Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting ... ammunition

I personally would not use a TSA lock.
USAF 1982-2005

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

TSA lock on the checked bag.
Non TSA lock on the gun case inside the bag.
Never had any issues, but, never flew through Indy.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Never an issue at Killeen Regional, DFW, Norfolk VA, Kansas City, Raliegh NC, Manhattan KS. Orlando was a PITA, but finally got through their hoops.

Did not fly with a firearm in Atlanta, but when they refused to accept my military retiree ID when I checked a bag and they asked for a "State Issued" ID, I pulled out my Texas LTC as it was on top of my DL. Agent went apoplectic and called the police. Took almost 30 minutes to PROVE that I did not have a gun with me. Finally got an apology from airline supervisor and PD. Agent was nowhere to be seen by then.
AF-Odin
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

The reason they would not accept a military ID or LTC is that they do not meet the Federally mandated "Real ID" criteria, i.e. the gold star on your drivers license. While other forms of ID may be acceptable in Texas, only a Real ID is acceptable to TSA.

And Atlanta Hartsfield has such a huge problem with firearms, I'm not surprised they had the knee jerk reaction you described.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

ELB

Post by ELB »

jmorris wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:43 pm

Unless you're in Indy. The case is examined back in the baggage area. If they need it opened they won't bring it out and you're not allowed back there. You must give up the keys.
I have flown thru through Indy several times and this has been my experience. I haven’t flown through there since before Covid though but I’ll bet it hasn’t changed.
USAF 1982-2005

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

oohrah wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:31 am The reason they would not accept a military ID or LTC is that they do not meet the Federally mandated "Real ID" criteria, i.e. the gold star on your drivers license. While other forms of ID may be acceptable in Texas, only a Real ID is acceptable to TSA.

And Atlanta Hartsfield has such a huge problem with firearms, I'm not surprised they had the knee jerk reaction you described.
Military ID is fine for TSA. LTC is NOT, but not because the Real ID thing. That just got pushed back again. A driver’s license or passport is preferred, though. Many airports have newly hired officers working the ID check station. If you ever have an issue with TSA, ask for a Supervisor.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

AdioSS wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:56 pm
oohrah wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:31 am The reason they would not accept a military ID or LTC is that they do not meet the Federally mandated "Real ID" criteria, i.e. the gold star on your drivers license. While other forms of ID may be acceptable in Texas, only a Real ID is acceptable to TSA.

Military ID is fine for TSA. LTC is NOT, but not because the Real ID thing. That just got pushed back again. A driver’s license or passport is preferred, though. Many airports have newly hired officers working the ID check station. If you ever have an issue with TSA, ask for a Supervisor.
TSA will only accept recently issued military IDs that have the Common Access Card code that they can scan.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
dlh

Post by dlh »

Howdy, folks.
I wanted to give you an update on my flying experience with my little Ruger LCR .38 Special Plus P Revolver.
My first flight was from Midland to Denver. The second flight was back home from Denver to Midland. Both on Southwest Airlines.

The flight from Midland to Denver.
I wheeled my baggage up to the ticket agent counter and told the agent I wanted to make a declaration that I was
carrying an unloaded revolver and ammunition in a locked hard-sided plastic case in my checked luggage. She had me fill
out a card and sign it and she then taped it to the plastic case and had me put it back in my luggage. She never opened the hard-sided case to look at the revolver. All of my checked luggage including the hard-sided case in one of the pieces of luggage was then put on the luggage carousel at her counter and sent on its way behind her. No problem--from there we went through security and got on the plane.

The flight back from Denver to Midland.
The Denver TSA handled my firearm declaration differently than the Midland TSA handled it which is always aggravating. The ticket agent called a guy to walk my bag containing my revolver case over to a secluded screening area and the TSA agent at that location ran my bag through x-ray and found no problem and said he would put the bag with the other luggage dropped off with the ticket agent. He also did not open the hard-sided case containing my revolver to examine it.

Not sure why they have different procedures at different airports. Maybe larger airports have to do it differently because of the increased amount of luggage they check? I did not want to give any of the TSA agents the third degree so just remained quiet and cooperated. No real problems with either flight. So--as someone else indicated--be prepared for different procedures at different airports.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Every airport I have been to has been slightly different. Some more of a hassle than others. Always allow more time for check in.
AF-Odin
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”