Anyone Use Moon Clips

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Anyone Use Moon Clips

Post by carlson1 »

I have been carry revolvers again for a while now. I always have a couple of speed strips or speed loaders in my pocket. A couple of my revolvers are recessed for moon clips. I have always felt like the moon clips bent really easy in my pocket and might be hard to reload in a hurry.

What is your experiences?

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone Use Moon Clips

Post by AF-Odin »

My only experience with moon clips is with my 2 Model 1917 .45ACP revolvers. When I do (very infrequently) carry a revolver, I usually have 2 Bianchi Speed Strips with six rounds each. For me, the other speed loaders are too bulky to just slip into a pocket. YMMV.
:tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Used full moon clips with an S&W610 in USPSA competition, also used HKS and Safariland speed loaders with 586/686's. While the speed loaders are less precise, they're also more forgiving of abuse and of pocket carry. A bent moon clip will cause the cylinder to bind.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

I have always used HKS speed loader. I think I am going to begin to use the Safariland (maybe) speed loaders. I have always avoided Safariland, but it looks like their Comp 2 might be good. Order some and will practice with my dummy rounds. If I ever get back to the range I will practice a lot. I bought two Colt Pythons over last little bit, but not fond of the thick cylinder. Never even shot them. Took out my 640 Pro and it is recessed for moon clips and took out my M19 2.5” Barrel and it is also recessed for moon clips. The Smith and Wesson K frames cylinders are a lot thinner and not as bulky as Colt. Here is my M19 it is in great shape just some holster wear. I have been very careful to only feed it about a half dozen .357’s. I use .38’s, but it carries .357 for duty. :lol:

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

You got me thinking about revolvers again so I've been carrying my 3" 686+ the past few days. I personally would not use moon clips for anything other than range use. I've heard stories of them getting "slightly" bent and being an issue with removing. Think I'm remembering that right. I stick to speed strips loaded two rounds, space, two rounds. Gives a better grip from what I've read and practiced.

Not familiar with the Safariland Comp but I bought the Speedbeez setup that's been top quality and very easy to use. I spent the extra money and added the loading case. Pic below for reference. No twisting like the HKS setup, it's a push button setup. I bought a belt carrier for it and no issues.

Love my 686 Plus but looking to add a Model 19 Comp in the future for something a little easier to carry everyday. I've swapped over to Hogue grips and rides in a Galco leather holster.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The only moon clips I have ever used came with the 327 I bought from you, Carl. I bought some additional moon ones, but I also bought some 5 Star Firearms N8-357/38 8-round speed loaders on Amazon. I have historically never had a problem using a speed loader on m 5-round J-frames or my 6-round N-frame model 29. But the 8-round 327 is more troublesome to reload with both moon clips and speed loaders because I have to "jiggle" with it more to get the fresh cartridges to line up with the chambers. Neither way seems better than the other on that particular revolver. None of the cylinders on my other revolvers are recessed for moon clips.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”