Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 4

CSI: Las Vegas...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ok,

I know TV is not real life, and that you should not base your training or actions on what you see on programs like this...

But I got caught up in the 2 part episode last night, and was a bit intrigued by the process of investigation, testimony, and emotion of that multiple shooting/victim/large area incident...

I'm still processing the episode, and am curious to why I might think there actually may be something you could apply to your carry mindset...I'll hold judgement till its wrapped up in part 2...

The first thing I thought of is how hard it must be to have been put into a situation like that, and know that in the end you'll have to recall every little detail and disposition of discharge of your weapon...And to be under extreme scrutiny for doing what you did...And this is how Law Enforcement is treated in cases like this??? Of course I know this is Hollywood, and that they are certainly free to embelish and create the kinds of things that bring out an emotional/stressful investigation...

There were just a couple of things in that episode last night that I think would happen, and be taken a lot worse than could be portrayed on TV...

I don't think the actual shootout disturbed me more than what the investigation and questioning afterwards did to the folks who were actually involved...I guess thats the main thing...

I believe you Law Enforcement types (if you saw this show) would maybe see what I see...

All in all I think its a good hypothetical to see how you would react in real life, if put into a similar situation, however unlikely that would be...

Just thought I would throw this out and see who bites...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

Stevie,

That episode disturbed me as well. Apart from the drama they portray, I agree with your points. The mindset portrayed is probably closer to fact than fiction, and I am certain that the average person will go through much more than what was on the show. The actions of the "victims" families (lawsuits) will happen as well, and the sympathy for the "victims" by the media was dead on.

Lots of food for thought.

Also, as before, keep your mouth shut, and aquire competent counsel.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

anygunanywhere wrote: Lots of food for thought.

Also, as before, keep your mouth shut, and aquire competent counsel.
Thats why I want to (very rare occurance for any TV show) make sure and see how it all wraps up...

I got a couple folks on speed dial...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

AggieMM
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AggieMM »

I was disturbed by the "clicking" of an empty Glock. :) In the beginning, when the deputy has his Glock go to slide lock while chasing the BG in the alley, you then watch him continue to pull the trigger and the gun goes "click" "click", twice. I know, Hollywood just wants the below average user to know he is out of ammo, but it still annoys me. :) :)

Ryan

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Your technical observations are right on...

The error was obviously written in to illustrate dramatic peril for the character...

I actually didn't catch that audio faux paux...I did notice the slide lock condition, and wondered why he didn't automatically reload...Even though we knew he was out of ammo...

One of the things I reflected on, that if I ever needed more than 21 (pre-ban), or 27 (post-ban), I will have hung out in a firefight, way too long...

But thats just my opinion...Law Enforcement is expected to actively engage (and pursue) until the threat is in custody or eliminated/neutralized...

My back up mag is basically insurance in case I have a failure with the initial load out...

Just one of those "things" that reinforce your methodology I suppose...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Renegade

Re: CSI: Las Vegas...

Post by Renegade »

stevie_d_64 wrote:I don't think the actual shootout disturbed me more than what the investigation and questioning afterwards did to the folks who were actually involved...I guess thats the main thing...
It is TV, not real life.

How about when Nick test fires the AK while wearing hearing plugs, but Warrick is next to him at the desk without any?

Or when Brass hands his loaded gun with empty magazine across a table to the CSI chick?

You just can't take these shows to seriously.

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Re: CSI: Las Vegas...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Renegade wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:I don't think the actual shootout disturbed me more than what the investigation and questioning afterwards did to the folks who were actually involved...I guess thats the main thing...
It is TV, not real life.

How about when Nick test fires the AK while wearing hearing plugs, but Warrick is next to him at the desk without any?

Or when Brass hands his loaded gun with empty magazine across a table to the CSI chick?

You just can't take these shows to seriously.
Of course not...

There is just a few things that after the show is wrapped up, may be something to think about in cases where you might be under scrutiny for defending yourself...

I don't think there is anything you can do differently (or would even dare to apply) tactically in a self-defense shooting that you could even learn from something on TV like this...

What I am assuming is that the way the investigation is conducted might be something to keep in mind during that time...

Also have a good lawyer present for any conversation you have with the investigator(s) is an obvious precident...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”