911 tape released - why we own guns!!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

locknload
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 911 tape released - why we own guns!!

Post by locknload »

I have a friend that has a gun in each room ... well hidden ... and I think she is one of the smartest people I know. :tiphat:

Thinking of doing that myself. You never know when/where you'll need one. Thanks for posting this. If I had any doubts about what I'm doing with carrying, they are erased, now. Ya did good. :thumbs2:

Stupid
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Stupid »

"Why the hell do you need to stash 2 guns in every room? Don't you dare to tell me that one for you and the other is for me!"

Mike1951 wrote:Dear, would you rather me wear my holster all of the time around the house or we could stash a gun or two in every room?
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RKirby

Post by RKirby »

More info on this incident here:

http://video.nbc5.com/player/?id=203839

This happened in November and the local DA has now determined after a two month investigation that this was a justifiable self defense shooting. :grumble
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

Lucky45

Post by Lucky45 »

Original Report
Police: Woman Shoots Stalker To Death After Break-In
Woman Endured Many Incidents With Stalker, Police Said

POSTED: 1:23 pm CST November 14, 2007
UPDATED: 2:15 pm CST November 14, 2007

An accused stalker was shot to death Monday night by the object of his obsession after he broke into her Hessville home, police told the Northwest Indiana Times.

Hammond resident Ryan Lee Bergner, 41, was pronounced dead from gunshot wounds to his abdomen shortly after 10:30 p.m. at a local hospital.

According to the Times, Bergner went on a date with the 51-year-old woman last June, and his behavior became obsessive, offensive and violent.

On Monday night, the woman was watching television in her living room when she said she heard Bergner break a bathroom window near her back door and called 911.

A friend had given the woman a pistol for protection earlier in the day.

After the 911 operator told her to lock herself in her bedroom until police could come, she ran upstairs to do so and retrieved the gun.

This was the second time in recent days that Bergner broke into her home, breaking a back window, destroying a clock radio and stealing several of her undergarments over the weekend.

Police records show Bergner also allegedly had tried to kick in the woman's front door a week before that, and also allegedly accosted her at her job and being ejected from the business by her co-workers.

He also was suspected of slashing her Jeep's tires on at least two occasions, police records show.

"This isn't over yet," Bergner told the woman on Nov. 3, according to police reports.

Hiding in her closet on Monday night, the woman said she heard Bergner enter the bedroom, then watched as he opened the closet door.

She said she told him to stop, but he kept coming. She fired the gun three times.

She said he then proceeded to choke her violently before collapsing to the floor.

"I was shaking so bad, I didn't think I'd hit him," the woman recalled Tuesday afternoon. "He just kept coming… I didn't want it to end this way."

Bergner had not been charged in any of the half-dozen previous complaints made against him.

"We only went out on that one date," the woman told the Times on Tuesday. "I got a look at his temper, and realized I didn't want anything to do with him. But he wouldn't take no for an answer."
Copyright 2007 by NBC5.com. All rights reserved.
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

When I was at the police academy they played us an eirily similar tape. The only difference was when the officers arrived they found the woman dead in her bedroom and the perp was already gone.

Remember that 5 minute response time is not from the time you pick up the phone...

dihappy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dihappy »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
age_ranger wrote:If this doesn't spell it out enough, nothing ever will. It's gut wrenching and I think every CHL holder and gun owner should listen to it. Didn't see this posted anywhere so forgive me if it's a double post.

[911 operator] "Don't want to do anything rash..." :blowup

I feel extremely sympathetic to this woman...She had to put up with a lot before this incident...Somebody (the deceased) just plain misjudged a persons will to not put up with it any longer...

I bet that RO (that she surely had to have) would have prevented this... :roll:

I will admit that this 911 Operator was a bit more helpful than probably ANY others i have heard recorded in the past.

When will these 911 Operators get trained properly?
I would of told that lady, "Ma'am, you do whatever you have to do to defend yourself" :)

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

Lucky45 wrote:Original Report

She said she told him to stop, but he kept coming. She fired the gun three times.

She said he then proceeded to choke her violently before collapsing to the floor.
Shot placement, Shot placement, Shot placement, night sights :)

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

dihappy wrote:
Lucky45 wrote:Original Report

Shot placement, Shot placement, Shot placement, night sights :)
I would say her placement was just about perfect. The guy collapsed seconds after being shot. This women had a borrowed gun and most likely had not fired a gun very much in her life. I doubt if she had ever heard of the Mozambique Drill.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Skiprr wrote:Charles and CompVest (and other instructors):

If you're like me, the editorializing--at least not all of it--in the video isn't something I'd like to show. I think the audio by itself, with no accompaniment, might actually be more powerful in a classroom. And of course, depending on the setup you have available, you can burn the audio to CD to play on a portable boom-box and not have to rely on PC speakers.

I captured the 911 call only and converted it to .WMA (common Windows media format) and .MP3 formats. You can right-click on the links below, then select "Save Target As" to download the files:

911-call_2007-11-17.wma - 1.3MB

911-call_2007-11-17.mp3 - 4MB
I whole-heartedly agree!! I wouldn't show the video in a class; I'd just use the audio. I like to create my own propaganda, err . . . ahh . . . information. :thumbs2: Seriously, I think it detracts from the dramatic impact of hearing what this woman experienced. Thanks for doing this.

Chas.

CHL/LEO

Post by CHL/LEO »

Charles:

Can you post this as a sticky so that we can easily find it? This will be great for CHL Instructors to use in class, along with all of us being able to share with others and hopefully convince them that they, not LEOs, are responsible for their own safety.

Perhaps there's a way for you to duplicate it on both Never Again and Women's General so visitors to there will also see it...

Thanks
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

Tajovo

Post by Tajovo »

dihappy wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:
age_ranger wrote:If this doesn't spell it out enough, nothing ever will. It's gut wrenching and I think every CHL holder and gun owner should listen to it. Didn't see this posted anywhere so forgive me if it's a double post.

[911 operator] "Don't want to do anything rash..." :blowup

I feel extremely sympathetic to this woman...She had to put up with a lot before this incident...Somebody (the deceased) just plain misjudged a persons will to not put up with it any longer...

I bet that RO (that she surely had to have) would have prevented this... :roll:

I will admit that this 911 Operator was a bit more helpful than probably ANY others i have heard recorded in the past.

When will these 911 Operators get trained properly?
I would of told that lady, "Ma'am, you do whatever you have to do to defend yourself" :)
I've listened to the call a few times and can find nothing wrong with the way the 911 operator handled the call, she gathered the information and relayed it to the dispatcher and did her best to keep the caller calm while keeping her on the line. Personally I would not have told the caller "Don't want to do anything rash...", but every dispatcher/911 operator has their own way of handling calls (while working under their department guidelines; unfortunately at my agency we are not allowed to say "do whatever you have to do to defend yourself").

Age_ranger, thanks for posting this. Try as I might I still have not convinced my wife to carry yet, but hopefully this will help me in my efforts.

-Jeff

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

Definitely eye opening. I've pretty much got my entire family convinced that they need some type of defense in the home. Even a single shot break barrel 14ga would be better than nothing.
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

CHL/LEO wrote:Charles:

Can you post this as a sticky so that we can easily find it? This will be great for CHL Instructors to use in class, along with all of us being able to share with others and hopefully convince them that they, not LEOs, are responsible for their own safety.

Perhaps there's a way for you to duplicate it on both Never Again and Women's General so visitors to there will also see it...

Thanks
I'll make it a sticky now and I'm considering a sub-forum something like "Best of the Best." We could move posts like this to that section.

Chas.

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Good post age_ranger.

Remember: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away..."

Thanks for the post and good work.... "Stupid". :headscratch
"An armed society is a polite society"

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

You know if she had been in DC she might get arrested for having that gun.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”