Price of ammo...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Price of ammo...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I made a deal with the "Wife Unit" today...

If she shoots a "case" 1000 rounds through her pistol in one month, I'll buy the ammo...

Thats about 200 rounds a week...I think she'll beat the deadline once she figures out how much fun it is...But thats beside the point...

I've been doing some comparison, and the price for a case of 9mm is about $100...I can get this tomorrow, at the Pasadena gunshow from T's
ammo...

It comes out to about $5 a box (50 rounds)...

Since I do not shoot 9mm all that much, and I normally get that stuff by the box, not the case...I suppose this is a good price, and good timing-wise for our little deal...

I know what good prices are when it comes to .233/5.56, .40 and .45 by the box and case, but have not had enough time to really weed out too much in the 9mm market...

I've already checked out a few of the usual online suppliers, and the math does not favor them as good as the local guys here...

If anyone knows a better deal, and one I can make without too much running around by tomorrow, lemme know...

Just thought I would float this out there to see who bites...

Much obliged...

"Esteban"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

ghentry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ghentry »

Blazer (Aluminum) is $3.87/50 at Academy. That figures out to around $84/1000.

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

ghentry wrote:Blazer (Aluminum) is $3.87/50 at Academy. That figures out to around $84/1000.
Do they sell it by the case, or do you have to grab 20 boxes and ring it up that way???

I don't normally buy my ammo at Academy, so I really don't know...

I can surely do it anyway they want...Just curious...

I just want to get her going on this deal as soon as I can... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

We had a short thread on 9mm ammo costs, last week I think. Academy had Winchester for 3.85 a box, had some Blazer brass case for 4.xx a box but the store I went to was out of it. Generally, Blazer aluminum can be found over the counter for 5.00 a box or less. T's Guns and Ammo turns out a high quality reload. I have used them for years. Very consistent quality. My wifes polymer Kahr does not like them for some reason, but everything else I have shoots them fine. If you watch for sale at Academy or Sports Authority, (sometimes at WalMart) you can beat T's prices, but you have to watch for the sale. As for selling by the case, I expect you could persuade Academy to do it if they had one not opened.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

Tom

Post by Tom »

"stevie_d_64"
Do they sell it by the case, or do you have to grab 20 boxes and ring it up that way???
Steve,

I bought a "case" of 500 rounds of it a few months ago just to have
on hand and they said at that time that they only sell it by the single box.
In my "case" that was 10 boxes. Just get a big cart and fill it up.
It's good stuff for the right price.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

rgoldy wrote:We had a short thread on 9mm ammo costs, last week I think. Academy had Winchester for 3.85 a box, had some Blazer brass case for 4.xx a box but the store I went to was out of it. Generally, Blazer aluminum can be found over the counter for 5.00 a box or less. T's Guns and Ammo turns out a high quality reload. I have used them for years. Very consistent quality. My wifes polymer Kahr does not like them for some reason, but everything else I have shoots them fine. If you watch for sale at Academy or Sports Authority, (sometimes at WalMart) you can beat T's prices, but you have to watch for the sale. As for selling by the case, I expect you could persuade Academy to do it if they had one not opened.
Yeah, thats who got me the quote...T's has had a good "hit/miss" quality product for as long as I can remember...

The immediacy of the purchase is why I really want to hit the iron while its hot in this case...

If I can get her started by tomorrow, the less chance she'll crawfish out of the deal...

But I'm certainly not pushing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did I just say "crawfish"???

I need to stop watching "Tombstone"... :lol:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbirds1210 »

Stevie,
I think it would be hard to beat the quality of T's stuff for the price. I am a long time 9mm fan and have shot literally thousands of them without a problem at all! The bags of 200 are 24 or 25 bucks and are actually cheaper at the show than he sells them in his store. Take care and see you at the show! I hope there are a few new people there.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

jbirds1210 wrote:Stevie,
I think it would be hard to beat the quality of T's stuff for the price. I am a long time 9mm fan and have shot literally thousands of them without a problem at all! The bags of 200 are 24 or 25 bucks and are actually cheaper at the show than he sells them in his store. Take care and see you at the show! I hope there are a few new people there.
If the doors open today at 10 am-ish like we're thinking...

Watch for us...I'll throw my cell phone way up in the air at 10:30...You'll see us... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I won't...If I drop it, "Wife Unit" will be really mad at me...And she shoot pretty good...uggg :lol:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Price of ammo...

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Thats about 200 rounds a week...I think she'll beat the deadline once she figures out how much fun it is...But thats beside the point...
You bet she will, now that she has her own "card" and can come without you!

Chas.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I stood all day and waited for the flight of the cell phone.....it never happened :grin:
I think that is the first show I have ever attended....where I left without purchasing a single thing. I really don't have room for any more ammo, but the prices did not look that spectacular anyway. Some of the regular dealers that always make that show were not there.......Perhaps they are starting to favor the High Caliber show?
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Update...

Went to the gunshow Sunday...Lots of good stuff all around...

Had three items we were looking for...

- Lanyard style ID holders for our new PSC ID cards...(didn't find anything there that would work...Will look around at a few other places though...)

- Targets...specifically the B-27 style that she's going to have to qualify on now...Might as well get her used to the idea...

- Ammo...9mm (1000 rounds)...We found two vendors there that had good prices...Mr. T's and Texas Munitions...

We ended up going with Texas Munitions price of $84 per case (1000 rounds)...I think that stuff should do just fine...The vendor there said he is expecting to go up on his prices within the next couple of runs on his reloading machine(s) to match or fall just below Mr. T's stuff...Just a head's up for y'all...

We didn't find anyone selling the targets, but Wife Unit found the guy selling "watches" for $30...Guess what we ended up buying... :lol:

Wife Unit also let me walk out of there with a half-case of .40 (practice stuff), just to make me feel better...

She's soooo good to me...
Last edited by stevie_d_64 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

jbirds1210 wrote:I stood all day and waited for the flight of the cell phone.....it never happened :grin:
I think that is the first show I have ever attended....where I left without purchasing a single thing. I really don't have room for any more ammo, but the prices did not look that spectacular anyway. Some of the regular dealers that always make that show were not there.......Perhaps they are starting to favor the High Caliber show?
For shame!

You mean you didn;t go and buy a box of that expensive RBCD ammo???

I had not seen that guy in about a year here in Houston...And he wasn't even at his booth when I walked by...I'd have said hello at least...

As far as the flight of the cell phone...I got this really stern look from my wife when she saw that post...So I decided not to risk the wrath...Or getting shot in the buttocks... ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Piney

Academy

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

I buy Blazer 9mm from the local Academy store. Its about $ 3.85 a box. They have it in cases (20 boxes) at the gun counter but ring it up as individual boxes at the register.

I asked the gun counter guys about a multiple case discount. I was told that the cost per box is already so low that no case discounts were available. I may go ask about buying 5 case lots and see what they say.

Anyone been able to get a quantity discount off the per box price ?

DiverDn

Post by DiverDn »

I purchased a case of Blazer at Academy in BMT on Sat. I have bought several cases there before.

As an FYI to everyone I have heard a rumor that Academy is going up on the price of their 9mm Blazer. But it is just a rumor at this point.
DD

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Piney, Unless something has changed with Academy....I don't think you are going to get your discount. If you find a better price advertised....the chances are a bit better. Academy is owned by one man, Arthur Gochman and from my experience working there in High school......he is not one to give a break in the price for large quantities....five cases is absolutely nothing to him.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”