Suggestions on pepper spray

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
DiverDn
Posts in topic: 1

Suggestions on pepper spray

Post by DiverDn »

This may not be the correct forum to post this in, so if not mods please move.

Many times my wife and I are in circumstances where we cannot carry (I cannot carry at work for instance), even though we both have our CHL's.

What pepper spray does everyone use/reccomend (if you use it) and where do you purchase.

Thank you,
DD

ghentry
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ghentry »

I carry Fox Labs 5.3 from http://www.defensedevices.com

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Fox is the usual recommendation. You can get it here:

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/sprays.htm
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I keep a can of FOx in the car, and this on my key chain:

http://www.defensedevices.com/aspkeydefender.html

It is my opinion that OC or some other less-lethal defense tool is indipensable in your overall safety plan.

Having OC could be the factor that allows you to end something BEFORE a situation could escalate to your need to use deadly force.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

When possible, a less lethal alternative is always prefered over shooting someone. Are there any legal ramifications you could be facing for using OC?

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I have heard good things about SabreRed

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

There are several good sprays out there. I recommend you get one that will project the spray at least 10 feet .

Also, I consider "how to actually use the spray" more important than the particular brand. I like to see dispensers with "buttons" large enough to use the thumb instead of the index finger to fire it. Women especially, tend to hold the container like a "windex bottle". This makes it very easy to have it taken away from you, or knocked from your hand.

If you hold it in a "hammer grip" and fire it using your thumb, it then becomes very difficult for someone to take it from you.... and the wrist is better able to articulate, (always use a small circular pattern).

Consider where you can deploy it and where you cannot (don't use it inside a closed vehicle, or anywhere you would be downwind, etc).

A few other things to think about: Carry it where it is readily accessible. Carry it in the same place so you don't "fumble" when you really need it. Can the model chosen be fired if you have a gloved hand, or is the button too small. How many "bursts" is it capable of delivering?

I only bring this up...because of all of the things that people carry for self defense, I consider pepper spray to be the one that most often gives a sense of false security.

Don't get me wrong, I like pepper spray. But do learn how to use it, and above all.......test your new purchase to see that it actually fires before carrying it.

da.suxor

Post by da.suxor »

ghentry wrote:I carry Fox Labs 5.3 from http://www.defensedevices.com
Wow, that is a big one to carry. The 2oz is bigger then I thought it would be.

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

da.suxor wrote:
ghentry wrote:I carry Fox Labs 5.3 from http://www.defensedevices.com
Wow, that is a big one to carry. The 2oz is bigger then I thought it would be.
Let me clarify that statement. It is carried in the car, and in a jacket pocket when possible. It definitely is too bulky to carry at all times. My wife does carry hers in her purse at all times.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

dws1117 wrote:When possible, a less lethal alternative is always prefered over shooting someone. Are there any legal ramifications you could be facing for using OC?
Yes. Using OC is force just like using any other force. All use of force laws apply.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Chris

Post by Chris »

get the microbubble stream. stay away from foam. i sprayed a guy with foam once and he turned his head just as i hit him. he wiped it off the side of his face and charged me. never again will that happen.

it is quite possible that someone could sue you after using pepper spray. i've seen people file complaints and things about breathing difficulties after being near where someone is sprayed. they didn't go anywhere, but i'm sure it is quite possible to face a potential suit in the event an unintended target gets a whiff.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”