Unlicensed open carry in Texas: a proposal

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
drw

Unlicensed open carry in Texas: a proposal

Post by drw »

"Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime." -- The Texas Constitution

History and reason teach us that when law abiding citizens are armed, violent crime is reduced, and the opposite is true. Therefore, with a view to prevent crime, Texas should relax their regulations of wearing arms and remove the law against open carry.

I propose that the Texas state legislature be lobbied to enact a law that allows the unlicensed open carry of handguns by law-abiding citizens in Texas. Convicted felons and other bad guys may not carry, and the state must impose heavy punishments for those who break this law. Increase the prison sentence for crimes committed with a firearm.

An open carry law would make the citizens safer in Texas, and I think January of 2009 is a great time to get this done.

Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Unlicensed open carry in Texas: a proposal

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

There have been TONS of open carry discussions on here. Sorry, drw, but I don't know if you're going to get anywhere on this one. Not that I'm going to agree or disagree, I'll just keep my opinion to myself on this one. Just don't be offended at some of the responses that are sure to come.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

melkor41
Posts in topic: 5

Post by melkor41 »

You mean that "if you are going to start shooting, shoot me first" sign on your hip?
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

Topic author
drw

Post by drw »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:Just don't be offended at some of the responses that are sure to come.
No worries there. I'll either defend the position, or will have my position changed.

Topic author
drw

Post by drw »

melkor41 wrote:You mean that "if you are going to start shooting, shoot me first" sign on your hip?
Yes, that's the one. If the risk is unacceptable to you, then you shouldn't be carrying openly. The open carry would only be used by those who are serious about protecting those that need protecting, at the cost of increased risk to themselves. For me, it's a suitable risk.

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DoubleJ »

how's about finding one of the 47 other OC threads and just read all 23 pages of that.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

I am not a LEO.

I see no tactical advantage of open carry to protect myself or others.

If I need to draw my gun I can just as easily push my shirt aside and draw and have the added bonus of not being the first target on the shooters list.

:fire

But yeah.....

deadhorse
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

Topic author
drw

Post by drw »

I'm new enough here that I haven't seen them. I'll go back through and check them all out. Thanks. :)

Topic author
drw

Post by drw »

melkor41 wrote:I see no tactical advantage of open carry to protect myself or others.
I don't either, but I don't see unlicensed concealed carry coming anytime soon, so open carry is the alternative.

Unlicensed is the key...

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

You can talk about it at this website among friends.

http://texasopencarry.com/

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 46

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

I have no problem with legalizing open carry (though I would seldom do it myself) but I would not favor unlicensed open carry.

I think unlicensed open carry makes it too easy for criminals and other disqualified persons to "blend in" on the street. Criminal records and records containing other disqualifying information are not readily available to the cop on patrol who might want or need to check someone out. That is one of the main purposes of the background check requirement for getting a license.

Having a license is strong evidence showing that the person passed the background check at some time in the past, and so can be presumed to be a qualified person.

Beyond all that, unlicensed open carry would draw little or no political support from what I can tell. I see no groundswell in the general community beating the drums for it. So I would say it would have almost no chance of passage.

But we might get licensed open carry someday.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

agbullet2k1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:I have no problem with legalizing open carry (though I would seldom do it myself) but I would not favor unlicensed open carry.

I think unlicensed open carry makes it too easy for criminals and other disqualified persons to "blend in" on the street. Criminal records and records containing other disqualifying information are not readily available to the cop on patrol who might want or need to check someone out. That is one of the main purposes of the background check requirement for getting a license.

Having a license is strong evidence showing that the person passed the background check at some time in the past, and so can be presumed to be a qualified person.

Beyond all that, unlicensed open carry would draw little or no political support from what I can tell. I see no groundswell in the general community beating the drums for it. So I would say it would have almost no chance of passage.

But we might get licensed open carry someday.
:iagree: And I'll take one more whack at the horse. To me, unlicensed pretty much means untrained. I don't want joe blow going out not knowing the laws or even how to shoot correctly. I see enough total idiots at the range to know that they'd all carry with this method, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere within bullet travel of them. I'd like to see licensed OC, but realistically, it will never happen due to the obsene number of "man with gun" calls the already overloaded police force would have to deal with. And honestly, is it really that hard to conceal?
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

drw wrote:
melkor41 wrote:You mean that "if you are going to start shooting, shoot me first" sign on your hip?
Yes, that's the one. If the risk is unacceptable to you, then you shouldn't be carrying openly. The open carry would only be used by those who are serious about protecting those that need protecting, at the cost of increased risk to themselves. For me, it's a suitable risk.
Are you inellegable for a CHL? Just asking... I would figure if you were "serious about protecting those that need protecting" you would become a CHL and carry concealed since your no use to us dead ;-)

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DoubleJ »

drw wrote:
melkor41 wrote:I see no tactical advantage of open carry to protect myself or others.
I don't either, but I don't see unlicensed concealed carry coming anytime soon, so open carry is the alternative.

Unlicensed is the key...
I think you'll find a few good debates on the subject. Frank and coulple others have brought up some interesting points in those other threads. enjoy.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
drw

Post by drw »

melkor41 wrote:Are you inellegable for a CHL? Just asking... I would figure if you were "serious about protecting those that need protecting" you would become a CHL and carry concealed since your no use to us dead ;-)
Definitely eligible for a CHL, and my wife and I are both considering getting it.

My thought process is, though, that if unlicensed open carry were allowed, then we would have more LAC's carrying than we do now, and as a result we as a society would be much safer.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”