Gun Safety Rules

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

rmr1923
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Safety Rules

Post by rmr1923 »

awesome post, i thought i'd share a story that happened about 10 years ago to a good friend's older brother (we'll call him "John Smith" for the sake of the story - not his real name). John had been out of high school and in the Marine Corps for at least a few years when he came home to take his younger brother and myself out dove hunting one fall. my dad let me borrow his Remington 870 12ga so i made sure it was unloaded, got the gun and all my gear in my truck, and right before leaving the house to go meet up with them i got a call saying to meet them at the ER. apparently John was preparing to disassemble his EMPTY shotgun to clean and oil it before we headed out, and in the process shot his right foot off with 00 buck shot. he swears to this day that he cleared that weapon before loading it in his truck the previous day, but failed to double-check when he was preparing to break it down. he has a prosthetic foot now and doesn't have too much trouble getting around, but that incident ended his career in the military and changed his life forever. we all felt horrible about what happened, but at the same time were greatful that the shotgun wasn't pointed at another person (or another part of his body for that matter) when he pulled the trigger.

Se'Maj

Post by Se'Maj »

I recently purchased a pair of laser pistol grips for my spouse’s Bersa. The first time I tested them I discovered how difficult it is to follow all of the safety rules (i.e.: keeping your finger off the trigger and along the receiver or barrel until you are ready to fire) while activating the laser during familiarization or practice. Unfortunately activating the laser with your trigger finger along the receiver or barrel blocks the laser light. To get the laser on target, whether for familiarization, practice or firing your finger must be in the trigger guard and out of the way of the laser light. Had I discovered this prior to purchasing a set of these grips for my spouse’s Bersa, I would have looked at another laser configuration (the ones in the rear sight or at the head of the trigger guard).

Consider this issue if you are thinking of purchasing laser grips if safety is of paramount importance to you like it is to me.
Se’Maj
Bersa .380 in a Galco on my hip
Springfield .40 in my truck
RG .38 Special in my sofa storage compartment by my side

Apophis
Banned

Post by Apophis »

You can never talk about gun safety too much. Very good post :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Too many of this including myself take these rules for granted at times.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I failed 2 read all 8 pages...
but Ill add this if it has not been said yet. always make sure you are loading the correct ammo in the firearm.
just because you can make it fit doesnt mean its the right stuff.

rahgbag

Post by rahgbag »

Caution, somber story ahead.

Junior year of college, a friend of mine got an AR-15 for his birthday. Took it shooting and went to clean it that evening. We can only assume that he failed to clear it before cleaning and while attempting to clean the barrel shot himself fatally in the head.

Be safe out there. There's no reason not to check, double check, and triple check that the weapon is clear!
30 days mailbox to mailbox.
Kimber Pro CDP II

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I switched 1 and 2 when I taught my grandson about gun safety, starting at about 4 years old.

I asked him what the 1st rule a few days ago (after some months of absence from guns) and he spoke right up.

Teach 'em, teach 'em young, teach 'em often.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Grapevinebill

Post by Grapevinebill »

I see this post as teaching the fundementals. The foundation of shooting. Every single one of us needs to always be aware of these simple rules and follow them as the psoter says without failure. Great post 6 years later and still so very important.
I've spent a lot of money on guns, bullets and holsters.... The rest I've just squandered away!

Richardc

Post by Richardc »

I was a USMC instructor for 8 years and now I'm a CHL instructor and these rules are covered in my classes, and then covered again. When we get to the range to shoot I cover them again. I believe they can never be over stated.
"That door you just kicked in was locked for YOUR protection, Not mine."
http://www.chldefense.com
http://www.facebook.com/chldefense

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasCajun »

I've never heard of a loaded gun being involved in an ND....
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

TexasCajun wrote:I've never heard of a loaded gun being involved in an ND....
Have you heard of Tex Grebner?
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

hillfighter wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:I've never heard of a loaded gun being involved in an ND....
Have you heard of Tex Grebner?
I remembered watching his video a while back after looking up the name. As I understand the back-story, Tex was trying to draw a pistol from a holster that wasn't fitted to it (Kimber from a holster for a Glock, maybe?). Therefore, I wouldn't classify this as a negligent discharge. He meant to draw & fire his weapon, but he goofed it up pretty bad. When I think of an actual negligent discharge, I think of the gun going off unexpectedly (as in prior to cleaning, when taking a gun out of a range bag, or just simply handling). In these cases, you usually hear the excuse: "I thought it wasn't loaded". Of course, that's only after the ear-ringing stops & the soiled britches are exchanged for a clean pair.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

misterholt

Post by misterholt »

My (Vietnam/Korea War Veteran) Grandpa's 4 Rules

:rules:

1. All guns are loaded at all times
2. Never point a gun at something you aren't willing to kill
3. Keep your finger off the trigger
4. If you're going to pull the trigger....Empty the clip

:woohoo

Now I know that if I shoot I probably shouldn't empty the clip but hey, gotta give him credit for something. He taught me when I was 10.
:patriot:

BTW I just bought [Pre-paid legal service] in case I ever have to use my gun. HIGHLY recommend purchasing it.
Cost my wife and I 128.99 TOTAL for the year. All legal fees are paid for. :txflag:
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." Matt 5:9

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

misterholt wrote:
BTW I just bought [Pre-paid legal service] in case I ever have to use my gun. HIGHLY recommend purchasing it.
Cost my wife and I 128.99 TOTAL for the year. All legal fees are paid for. :txflag:
Minor correction, as I have investigated their plan too. Not knocking [Pre-paid legal service] at all, but not all legal fees are covered. According to their web site, "expenses associated with investigators, expert witness, witnesses, or other persons necessary to assist in the defense of the case, bail bonds, deposition fees, or other court or governmental imposed fees" are not covered and are to be paid by the client. Still, the bulk of your expenses should be covered. I'm sure this is true of most/all attorneys.

misterholt

Post by misterholt »

Minor correction, as I have investigated their plan too. Not knocking [Pre-paid legal service] at all, but not all legal fees are covered. According to their web site, "expenses associated with investigators, expert witness, witnesses, or other persons necessary to assist in the defense of the case, bail bonds, deposition fees, or other court or governmental imposed fees" are not covered and are to be paid by the client. Still, the bulk of your expenses should be covered. I'm sure this is true of most/all attorneys.

Thank you good sir! :tiphat:
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." Matt 5:9

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

I've been away from this forum for a few years and even though I had replied when this was originally posted it's good to see it and be reminded. I'll be printing this out for my son and daughter to read.

My son has shown great awareness with firearms safety. I've been drilling it into him since he was 4. He is now almost 11 and I continue to drill it into him. I've recently built a new AR and everyday he wants me to quiz him on the parts of the rifle. We are both constantly checking the chamber even though in any ammo in the same room with us and the rifle.

My daughter is 6 and has not had the same exposure as my son since I had gotten away from shooting for a while. Now that I am back into it she is getting the same drilling.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”