Gun Safety Rules

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

banshee

Re: Gun Safety Rules

Post by banshee »

great thread and posts.

my simple rules: if you do not know or it does not feel right , do not do it, check it out, put it away safely, never point at anyone, clean/ wipe down after using/touching
I am sure there are better ones and many more...these suit me fine and cover many bases for me

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CHLLady »

Thank you for sharing! I still consider myself a newbie. I live by these rules. I'm glad to know that other very experienced shooters still practice and are firm in their belief in them.

BTW, had to show the picture of the girl with the rifle to my daughter who also shoots. She got a good chuckle.

She also knew exactly what was wrong with the photo and pointed them all out, without me saying a word. Proud of my girl!
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

HoosierTexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by HoosierTexan »

Once I was talking to someone while safety checking my pistol before handing it over and I accidentally racked the slide to remove the live round before I removed the clip. Just a reminder that even if you are experienced and not paying 100% attention to what you were doing that accidents can happen.

I am a safety nut and was totally embarrassed at my mistake even though I caught it instantaneously.

No one was ever in harms way, but it became a teaching moment for someone who isn't that familiar with firearms.

Always remove the clip before clearing your round. :)

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

HoosierTexan wrote:Always remove the clip before clearing your round. :)
Make sure the magazine is removed too! :smilelol5:

(Seems like the Internet nomenclature nazi's always like to jump in and debate the terms . . ., so a little trolling might start the amusement.)
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

HoosierTexan

Post by HoosierTexan »

Jumping Frog wrote:
HoosierTexan wrote:Always remove the clip before clearing your round. :)
Make sure the magazine is removed too! :smilelol5:

(Seems like the Internet nomenclature nazi's always like to jump in and debate the terms . . ., so a little trolling might start the amusement.)
HAH. Touche

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

HoosierTexan wrote:Once I was talking to someone while safety checking my pistol before handing it over and I accidentally racked the slide to remove the live round before I removed the clip.
I was excited to show a friend my new baby, and while I released the mag first (before checking the chamber by racking the slide) I just let the mag drop fully-loaded to the floor instead of onto the bed nearby. Although the floor was carpeted, and he was nice enough not to read me the riot act, I do hope I don't do that ever again...

:oops:

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

Excellent post. When I teach beginner classes, the first thing I do is clear every gun in the room, and make them verify the clear. Then I start with the 3 NRA rules, and hammer them about them. After that, every time they touch a gun, I remind them of the rules.

Since we go to a range after class, I also stress the typical rules of a firing range. One benefit of this, is that I find myself being very conscious of not only safety at the range, but also the actual rules I teach. It's easy to get sloppy, so we must all act as if an instructor is watching us.

SK
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

asbandr

Post by asbandr »

I have this typical problem of that I love to learn, but hate to be taught. I hate sounding stupid, or having anyone assume that just because I'm a woman I don't know better. But I've learned that this is an area I have to take very seriously. Ask even the "dumb" questions and be open to correction.
As I sat around listening to family's stories about AD's by different people over many generations I am reminded that it only takes one misstep in normal safety procedures for tragedy to ensue.
Be safe every time and follow every rule. Don't become careless or overconfident.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

HoosierTexan

Post by HoosierTexan »

Make sure it's loaded unless someone who is not trained or otherwise not suppose to gain access to your firearm.

An unloaded gun is very unsafe.

Huges

Post by Huges »

ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

sass2924

Post by sass2924 »

I have a couple of young kids and started teaching them gun safety as soon as they were able to understand. We talk about gun safety before, during and after shooting now. I use incidents of neglectful firearm handling as teaching moments whenever I can. Your never to young or old to learn about gun safety.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I review the rules with my children each time we use or maintain our firearms. They know them well.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Magazines are dropped onto the ground in IDPA matches.

In other words, a magazine dropped on carpet is no big deal...

HKsig
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HKsig »

Good post and we can't stress it enough.

I'd ask them, which is safer, a loaded gun or an unloaded gun? They'd say an unloaded gun of course. I said ok, are you going to treat it as an unloaded gun without knowing if it is or not?

That had them thinking so I told them to treat it as a loaded gun always, it's safer.

One time at my friend's house we were sitting around shooting bull. One of his friend saw a 380 on the table and picked it up. I said it's loaded man and he took the magazine out and said it's not now. I said bull it's still loaded. My friend took the gun from him and pulled the slide. A round popped out. His friend just sat there with wide eyes. Later I told my friend not to leave his gun lying around as there are people who knows nothing about guns.

Removing a magazine does NOT unload a gun.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

HKsig wrote:Good post and we can't stress it enough.

I'd ask them, which is safer, a loaded gun or an unloaded gun? They'd say an unloaded gun of course. I said ok, are you going to treat it as an unloaded gun without knowing if it is or not?

That had them thinking so I told them to treat it as a loaded gun always, it's safer.

One time at my friend's house we were sitting around shooting bull. One of his friend saw a 380 on the table and picked it up. I said it's loaded man and he took the magazine out and said it's not now. I said bull it's still loaded. My friend took the gun from him and pulled the slide. A round popped out. His friend just sat there with wide eyes. Later I told my friend not to leave his gun lying around as there are people who knows nothing about guns.

Removing a magazine does NOT unload a gun.
:thumbs2:
:iagree:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”