No longer patronizing Jason's Deli.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Lonestar 48
Posts in topic: 4

Re: No longer patronizing Jason's Deli.

Post by Lonestar 48 »

To satisfy your hunger if you truly have the need to eat at Jason's. I'm just saying that if they go legal, or if they aren't legal but find out you have a weapon and ask you to leave, you still have the option of leaving your pistol in the car and eating at Jason's. I guess it is running the risk of needing your weapon while in Jason's, but not having it. You would have to decide which has more importance to you.
Mailed App Aug 11
Rec'd PIN Aug 18
S Swanston

ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

srothstein wrote:
Ace_Inthe_O wrote:Why would you alert them to a sign or policy that effects no one? Let them put up a sign to appease the sheeple. I would imagine their policy doesn't stem from some deep hate and fear of firearms it probably just to be PC.
I disagree. I do not think they are doing it to be PC and see no reason to feel that way. Why would you think they put a sign up telling you to stay away just to appease a bunch of other people who rpobably would never notice? I prefer to believe they put the sign up for its stated purpose, to keep out people who are legally carrying. I think the sign may not meet our state's legal requirements because the sign meets the requirements of the state the headquarters is in and most people naturally assume their states laws apply universally. Most people do not even realize it is just a state law that only applies in the one state.

So, I feel like they put up a sign in an attempt to infringe on MY rights and I am not going to let them off on it. Even if they did it to appease the sheeple, why should I allow anyone to infringe on my rights like that? They have publicly stated that they do not want my kind in their business, so I do my best to agree and stay away. I had not noticed it at Jason's before, but will start looking there too.

Steve,

I hate to say this, but I just called their corporate office to confirm what I thought I knew. Jason's was founded in and is still headquartered in Texas. They opened the first deli at Gateway in 1976.

That doesn't mean that they know the state laws regarding CHL, however.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

bridge
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bridge »

The company is headquartered in Beaumont, but the local locations are franchises. I'm willing to bet that if anyone hears back from their corporate HQ they will say that allowing CHL'ers and associated policies is left up to the franchise holder. If that's the case you're better off communicating through the local stores manager.

WillieD

Post by WillieD »

bridge wrote:The company is headquartered in Beaumont, but the local locations are franchises. I'm willing to bet that if anyone hears back from their corporate HQ they will say that allowing CHL'ers and associated policies is left up to the franchise holder. If that's the case you're better off communicating through the local stores manager.

I was going to say the same thing about them being franchises. It is probably a decision made by the owner of that particular establishment to put ghost busters sign up

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

Well if you are going to not patronize there any more over a non binding sign, then you might as well stay home. Almost every place of business has either the ghostbusters sign or one of the "unlicensed carry" signs in there.

If it were a legal 30.06 I would understand. I just smile at the others knowing they don't apply to me.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Furyataurus

Post by Furyataurus »

That's gross, you were THAT hungry to eat at Jason's Deli????? I'd rather eat McDonald's than eat at Jason's Deli!!!!! lol j/k.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

For a long time, I have been ambivalent about this subject. I didn't want to hijack purplehood's thread, but I thought about an analogous situation which helped me solidify my views on the subject.

Joe's Restaurant is a little deli that has the best pastrami sandwiches outside of New York City. Joe's Restaurant has a sign on the door that says "No Jews Allowed." Of course, this is not a legal sign, but it clearly indicates that Joe doesn't want "that kind" in his restaurant.

- It's highly unlikely that Joe doesn't know that his sign isn't legal, but does really that matter? Maybe he just posted it to pacify his Christian patrons.

- Would you eat at Joe's if you weren't Jewish?

- Would you eat at Joe's if you were Jewish?

- Would you tell Joe that his sign was illegal?

- Would you tell Joe that you won't eat at his restaurant unless he takes down the sign?

- Would you eat at Joe's after he took down his sign?

- If you were Jewish would you "sneak in" just to eat their excellent pastrami sandwich?

By the way, I believe that people have a right to associate or not associate with whomever they want.
Last edited by WildBill on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

bryang

Post by bryang »

srothstein wrote:So, I feel like they put up a sign in an attempt to infringe on MY rights and I am not going to let them off on it. Even if they did it to appease the sheeple, why should I allow anyone to infringe on my rights like that? They have publicly stated that they do not want my kind in their business, so I do my best to agree and stay away. I had not noticed it at Jason's before, but will start looking there too.
:iagree: I agree, Steve, no matter what kind of sign they put up I I am simply not going to give them my business. If we tell them they have the wrong sign they will just take it down and replace it with a 30.06 sign. I have printed off several of the "No Gun-No money" cards and I will give one to the manager and leave. There are plenty of other places that don't infringe on my rights to carry that I can give my business to. It is simply a choice we have to make, leave our gun in the truck, or get in the truck and leave.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

bridge

Post by bridge »

I'm surprised the NRA hasn't sponsored TV spots in CHL states to try and get the point across that licence holders are vetted and have no criminal history. If I were a small business owner I'd want to know as much about my clientele as possible and knowing that there is a population that has no bad checks helps.

WildBill...I see your point.
Of course, with the economy in the toilet I'd expect that businesses will do whatever they can to make sure they don't risk turning away paying customers...even if it means letting second class, gun toting red necks through the door. ;-)

bryang

Post by bryang »

That is a good point, bridge. We do need to educate the public and business as to what CHL is all about and not just anyone has one. Not to mention that a crook is not going to obey their silly sign anyway. I do wish the NRA or TSRA would put up some TV ads or something.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

If it isn't a legal sign I just ignore it and totally forget about it within seconds. Who's going to comply with it anyway? Certainly not any BGs. CHL holders know the difference between legal and invalid so they won't. Lots of other battles out there that are more worthy of the effort.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Mike from Texas wrote:Well if you are going to not patronize there any more over a non binding sign, then you might as well stay home. Almost every place of business has either the ghostbusters sign or one of the "unlicensed carry" signs in there.

If it were a legal 30.06 I would understand. I just smile at the others knowing they don't apply to me.
The difference is that the "unlicensed carry" signs are required by TABC. A business that sells adult beverages has no choice whether or not to post those signs. On the other hand, the gunbuster signs are completely voluntary.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Perhaps I'm naive, but if it's not a compliant sign, I act like there is no sign at all.

I have no idea why that sign is there. It may be due to insurance requiring a no guns sign. It may be a dumb owner that doesn't know there is a specific sign. Either way, I don't care. I'm not going to be the one to inform them that the sign is non compliant. If they sell a product I want, I will continue to be a patron.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

ducks4brkfast

Post by ducks4brkfast »

Terrible perspective and approach by the original poster.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Any business that posts a sign does so for a reason. It could be varied:
- They truly don't want guns, but are ignorant about 30.06 signage.
- They don't mind guns, but "corporate" mandates standardized signage (and they know this doesn't affect CHLs).
- Their insurance company or lease requires such a notice; they either don't know or don't care that it's not binding, because they personally don't care about CHLs.
- They aren't even aware such a sign was posted; some flunky at the local store received a standardized package and posted everything in the box, including the TABC "Unlicensed carry is a felony" signs -- even though they don't sell alcohol.

Any gun owner may presume that they don't want his business, but it would be good to confirm it and let them know why you're no longer a customer. This is just good dialogue, and it might reveal where they fall on the spectrum noted above, and it might result in the signs coming down.

It is always a bad idea to educate business owners about 30.06 signage. Not everyone has either the time nor inclination to engage business owners about their policies and signage, but every CHL patron will be affected if the owner replaces non-compliant signs with 30.06 notices.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”