LCP Recall

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: LCP Recall

Post by Liberty »

Bisley wrote:I signed up the first day or so that it was possible to do so, and after several weeks, received my UPS 'kit' from Ruger. I made the call, UPS picked it up at my house, and returned it five days later, with a decent cap, spare mag, and mag extender. I guess I was luckier than some.

I never considered it to be as big deal as a lot of folks have made it out to be, since I equate dropping a gun with violating any of the other cardinal rules of gun safety. I own, have owned, and will own more guns that cannot be safely dropped, and I don't consider it to be a deal-breaker, as to whether or not to carry the gun...at least, for me, personally. I do, however, think that Ruger is obliged to make their product come up to the safety standards of the industry, and I like that it does have the 'drop' safety, in case somebody else drops theirs.
A handgun that is intended for daily concealed carry, should be held to higher standards. It could be abused just as much s the human body carrying it. It may not be treated real gently under combat conditions.

Just something to consider.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

tornado
Posts in topic: 12

Post by tornado »

Mrs. Tornado just informed me that she has signed for a UPS package from Prescott, AZ.

So three weeks, three days.

(Not as short a time as I was expecting, but much better than how long I was told I still had to wait after the first three weeks - "a week, maybe two.")

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 23

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

tornado wrote:Mrs. Tornado just informed me that she has signed for a UPS package from Prescott, AZ.

So three weeks, three days.

(Not as short a time as I was expecting, but much better than how long I was told I still had to wait after the first three weeks - "a week, maybe two.")
Do you remember the exact date you sent yours in? I am just trying to gage where i might be in the list. We mailed it in on December 31st so I figured I probably lost some time due to the holidays.

tornado

Post by tornado »

tornado wrote:I shipped it 12/30, and they received it 12/31
So yours should be soon, 03Lightningrocks.

Also, I got a standard magazine and a slip of paper that says:
You will have no doubt noticed your complimentary magazine is missing the finger-extension floor plate. Because of a material shortage, we are unable to included the floor plate at this time. Rather than delay the return of you LCP, we have chosen to ship your pistol without the floor plate and send it when they become available. At this time, we do not expect the floor plate to e available for several weeks. Check our web site periodically for expected availability date. (http://www.ruger.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

03Lightningrocks

tornado wrote:
tornado wrote:I shipped it 12/30, and they received it 12/31
So yours should be soon, 03Lightningrocks.

Also, I got a standard magazine and a slip of paper that says:
You will have no doubt noticed your complimentary magazine is missing the finger-extension floor plate. Because of a material shortage, we are unable to included the floor plate at this time. Rather than delay the return of you LCP, we have chosen to ship your pistol without the floor plate and send it when they become available. At this time, we do not expect the floor plate to e available for several weeks. Check our web site periodically for expected availability date. (http://www.ruger.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Bummer about the magazine extension missing. I realize running out of parts can happen, but it seems like Ruger should know exactly how many of each part they will need since they ship out return boxes to everyone shipping a pistol back. Oh well....thanks for the date. Your right, mine should be returned any day now.

tornado

Post by tornado »

Ruger updated their website on Friday.
Ruger website wrote:1/23/09 - LCP Recall Update

The process of retrofitting returned LCP pistols is ongoing. We have experienced a delay in the delivery of a key part from one of our vendors. As a result, we are behind schedule in retrofitting pistols and are experiencing longer than anticipated delays in returning retrofitted pistols to our customers. Note that this delay only applies to pistols received in house since January 1st. We have expedited the part and expect to be back to normal turnaround times by February 1st.

As indicated in our recall notice, all customers who participate in the recall will receive a free extra magazine and finger-grip extension floorplate. We also are experiencing a delay in receiving the extended floorplates. Rather than wait to return retrofitted pistols, we are returning pistols with a free extra magazine with a standard floorplate. When the extended floorplates are available, we will send you a floorplate which can easily be substituted. Instructions for changing the floorplate are in the instruction manual for your LCP at page 22. (Each pistol was shipped new from the factory with a manual. The manual also is available online by clicking here.)

We expect to begin shipping extended floorplates around mid-March.

We value you as a customer and sincerely apologize for the delay and the inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience.

03Lightningrocks

Mine arrived this morning with a gimme cap, magazine with no extension and a note explaining it all. Pretty quick on Rugers part...we mailed it on December 31. :tiphat:

kidder014
Posts in topic: 5

Post by kidder014 »

I got my LCP back today, and to say the least, I am NOT at ALL happy with Ruger.

I'm beginning to wish I never sent it in for the recall.

I can understand the delays, and that's fine, but when it showed up at my door and I thought I'd be carrying it again tomorrow, I was very excited. Then, when I took it out of the box, and removed the magazine, the magazine latch catch fell out of the gun, and the magazine latch spring came out in two pieces.... Now my Ruger, which went to them practically brand new, is broken and will not hold a magazine.

I called, and they said they will have a tech call me tomorrow morning. I suspect I will have to send it back in, and wait even longer, to get my LCP back in working condition.

I'm starting to wonder which is more unsafe, carrying a non-retrofitted "re-called" gun, or not carrying anything at all....

kidder014
Posts in topic: 5

Post by kidder014 »

The more I'm reading elsewhere about other's problems with their LCPs post-recall, the more apprensive I'm getting. Will my LCP ever be the same again? It was a perfect little gun, but, at least for the time being, it is no longer.

Apparently a lot of people are having issues with the new magazine latch, but I'm not finding any records of a magazine latch and spring simply falling out of the gun after the recall like mine has. I'll let you know what Ruger says tomorrow.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 9

Post by carlson1 »

I have had zero problems with either one of mine. Knock on wood.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

Ruger has sure taken a beating over this little pistol. It's a shame too. I love my Ruger revolvers. I hope they get this all straightened out and manage to salvage their reputation.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Greybeard »

I called 'em this past week to see why I'd not got my box in the mail, got the recording and they later left me a voice mail that it should arrive in the next 10 days ...

The original mazazine release on mine does have more than just a "hair trigger". At least twice I've laid it on a bench or counter with the magazine out and slide locked back and had the slide slam shut after I'd removed my hand. :shock:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

PArrow
Posts in topic: 6

Post by PArrow »

OK, I got my box in the mail yesterday, but I'm still a little hesitant to ship it in. Are people still getting theirs back with problems?
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
--Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks

PArrow wrote:OK, I got my box in the mail yesterday, but I'm still a little hesitant to ship it in. Are people still getting theirs back with problems?
Nope...mine came back just fine. People get hit by cars on occasion, but that doesn't keep me from crossing the road. Send it in...you get a cool hat and a magazine in addition to an upgraded slide catch and safer pistol.

thankGod
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thankGod »

I am very impressed by Ruger's service throughout this recall. They made the entire process easy, and I think they have done a fine job promoting customer satisfaction. :thumbs2:

My LCP came back last week, and I really appreciate the new slide stop. The previous slide stop was difficult for me to engage. I could only do so with my thumbnail wedged under the slide stop. I could not engage the stop with the pad of my thumb, as I can with this new new one.

Hopefully I can get it to the range next week.

Personally speaking, 'Thank you Ruger'.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”